D&D 5E D&D Without Adding House-Rules/Home-brew

Would you play a 1-10+ Level 5E D&D in a game without added house-rules/home-brew?

• YES

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • NO

Votes: 33 28.0%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You are correct. Variant rules in the published material are completely allowed. I'll update the OP to make this clear.
Next question. You say that you cannot add content, but can use published WotC rules. There are rules for creating new magic items, monsters, spells, etc. Are those usable for this or is that added content?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Next question. You say that you cannot add content, but can use published WotC rules. There are rules for creating new magic items, monsters, spells, etc. Are those usable for this or is that added content?
It's added content, whether you use established rules, 3PP, or your own rules--it is all ADDED content.

So, no, not for the purposes of this poll. I'll update the OP to make that clear. Good question! :)

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I voted no as the exploration pillar and combat are about two seconds away from becoming Candyland and nerf weapons. I get that some do not want grit and realism, but when some of your primary classes are designed to shine in one of three pillars and you reduce that through poor game design, it becomes a disservice to those players. Hell, we cant even agree as a community to what is acceptable to have as evil in games anymore.

Voadam

Legend
Player options side and game rules? Sure. I can have plenty of fun with official options and the game as is.

I think my last 5e face to face game I DM'd was pretty much all official D&D player options to start. At one point I added in a mythos type tome from Legendary Games' Tomes of Dark Secrets that one of the PCs dove into, but it would not have been a big deal to not have that. Same for using some travel rules from Adventures in Middle Earth to make journeying darker with more risks and explicit mechanical structure.

I typically use a bunch of 3rd party adventures and monsters though as a DM.

Remove ads