D&D 5E D&D's official twitter feed is giving previews of art and contents from Monsters of the Multiverse

A lot of the reason subraces where invented in the first place was to give a different distribution of ASIs, which is no longer needed. It was pretty much a 5e thing anyway, not something with a long history.

I suspect some of the more redundant ones will be dropped, like halfling subraces.
I have played gold and wild elves in ADnD 2e... Since DnD is less than 50 years old, Subraces existed for half its lifespan at least.

I think popularity has to be considered. Warforged are popular even outside Eberron, because people like the idea. I've seen a changeling PC in Ravenloft. But I've never seen a vedalken, like anywhere. Players don't find them interesting.

They might be a bit popular among some MtG players, but they never got enough development. Mechanically skill wise they are interesting.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Its not “justification”, btw, I’ve actually consulted friends who raise and train horses, and they were blown away at the idea a centaur couldn’t climb a ladder.

Its horse body and rear legs just hang in the air? Do you thing they just point straight out or droop down while being dragged up?

I am not trying to be obtuse on purpose. I just really can't imagine it working.

If we're taking the opportunity, maybe we change 'Pureblood' to something else.

Yuan Ti use Pureblood ironically so it's okay.

But they could use Extaminaar which were weaker version of Purebloods from 3.5e that were playable without level adjustment. Only problem is Extaminaar are tied to Forgotten Realms lore, but if their noble house went multiversial in their operations that would take care of that.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I tried looking at the Twitter for images and went I went to embiggen them and Twitter told me there was a six month exclusivity period for big images.

Weird.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Its horse body and rear legs just hang in the air? Do you thing they just point straight out or droop down while being dragged up?

I am not trying to be obtuse on purpose. I just really can't imagine it working.
The hooves are all on ladder rungs.

The centaur doesn’t have any penalty involving picking stuff up from the ground, so we know the humanoid torso can bend down like that.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I tried looking at the Twitter for images and went I went to embiggen them and Twitter told me there was a six month exclusivity period for big images.

Weird.
by the gods that just sounds dumb.
If we're taking the opportunity, maybe we change 'Pureblood' to something else.
maybe something that fits within the strange insult based hierarchy of the yuan-ti?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think popularity has to be considered. Warforged are popular even outside Eberron, because people like the idea. I've seen a changeling PC in Ravenloft. But I've never seen a vedalken, like anywhere. Players don't find them interesting.
Heck, they only exist in a handful of Magic worlds, and they undermined their point (Blue-mana people who don't live under water) by introducing Merfolk to Ravnica.

Remove ads