[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign - Recruiting Alternate Players

jdeleski

First Post
Morpheus said:
I assume that this is the...Bat Signal! :p

*laughs* It might be something in the sky, and it might have wings, but... :cool:

Hey, I have 2 questions for you and Shaman (and anyone who plays this campaign, actually).

  1. Have you read the campaign book from Chaosium, "Beyond the Mountains of Madness"?
  2. Have you read H.P. Lovecraft's story, "At the Mountains of Madness"?
I'm just wondering, and I may tweak the campaign a bit dependind on responses.

-----------------------------------------------
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
jdeleski said:
*laughs* It might be something in the sky, and it might have wings, but... :cool:

Hey, I have 2 questions for you and Shaman (and anyone who plays this campaign, actually).

  1. Have you read the campaign book from Chaosium, "Beyond the Mountains of Madness"?
  2. Have you read H.P. Lovecraft's story, "At the Mountains of Madness"?
I'm just wondering, and I may tweak the campaign a bit dependind on responses.

-----------------------------------------------
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).

1) Yes, I have read BtMoM. As a matter of fact, I ran a PBEM with the author playing in it (this was in 2000 mind you and I haven't looked at it since).

2) Yes-along with every other story he wrote.
 

jdeleski

First Post
Morpheus said:
1) Yes, I have read BtMoM. As a matter of fact, I ran a PBEM with the author playing in it (this was in 2000 mind you and I haven't looked at it since).

2) Yes-along with every other story he wrote.

PHEW!!! You PBEM'd the Author? I am truly stunned...and a little nervous now! How can I measure up against that?!?

I actually think that this is great news for a couple of reasons! First, it means that our campaign will be on solid ground throughout. By that I mean that we'll have competent, serious gamers who are interested in playing through a difficult challenge. Second, someone who is very familiar with H.P.'s work, and is an avid fan, is interested in maintaining the integrity of the story. From reading your notes, and Shaman's, I can already see that we're in for a whale of a good time!

I'll do my best to measure up to the challenge, and your expectations.

----------------------------------------------
Job (the tortured one).
 

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
jdeleski said:
PHEW!!! You PBEM'd the Author? I am truly stunned...and a little nervous now! How can I measure up against that?!?

I actually think that this is great news for a couple of reasons! First, it means that our campaign will be on solid ground throughout. By that I mean that we'll have competent, serious gamers who are interested in playing through a difficult challenge. Second, someone who is very familiar with H.P.'s work, and is an avid fan, is interested in maintaining the integrity of the story. From reading your notes, and Shaman's, I can already see that we're in for a whale of a good time!

I'll do my best to measure up to the challenge, and your expectations.

----------------------------------------------
Job (the tortured one).

You're too kind! ;) The PBEM was fun, but it kind of petered out towards the end. Chaz (the author) was great and he took the role of Moore and other NPCs. I'm sure you will do a great job...I'm looking forward to having a good time. Plus, it's d20 , so the system alone will provide some differences.
 

Bobitron

Explorer
jdeleski said:
  1. Have you read the campaign book from Chaosium, "Beyond the Mountains of Madness"?
  2. Have you read H.P. Lovecraft's story, "At the Mountains of Madness"?
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).

1) Nope.

2) Nope!

I am new to the genre, and I'm looking forward to being shocked by many a thing. I stopped in on Shaman's recommendation to check it out, looks like you are running a tight ship 'round here. :)
 

The Shaman

First Post
jdeleski said:
Shaman,

Fráncisco's character sheet is a great start! I found 3 areas that might need tweaking, but (as I mentioned to Morpheus) I've reviewed it after a long day and could be mistaken. Let me know if I've misinterpreted something.
No worries - lessee...
jdeleski said:
  • I calculated a total of 42 ability points (i.e. Str, Con, Wis = 10 each; Dex = 6; Cha = 4, and Int = 2) rather than the expected 41 points (40 at level 1 using the point-buy system +1 point at level 4). If this is correct, please subtract one point from one of your abilities and don't forget to adjust any relevant skills and attack stats.
The point breakdown was Str 10 pts, Dex 6 pts, Con 8 pts, Int 2 pts, Wis 10 pts, and Cha 4 pts. for a total of 40 pts.

The additional +1 to Con was from the 4th level attribute bump, raising the 15 to 16. Is that correct?
jdeleski said:
  • Because I've agreed to use the Variant: Defense/Offense Bonus on pg 15 of the D20 CoC manual, your character recieves one extra weapon proficiency feat at level 1.
Thanks - I forgot about that! I'll use that slot for his Weapon Proficiency (melee weapons) and add a different feat instead - maybe Athletic for an extra bump to Climb and Swim.
jdeleski said:
  • Your skill point ranks = a total of 58 points instead of the 56 that your character is entitled to. I think that the error lies in the fact that your "operate heavy machinery" skill should be a core skill for Fráncisco rather than non-core. You have 2 ranks currently listed for "operate heavy machinery" and this would require 4 skill points to attain a rank of 2 if we apply 1/2 rank per point as a non-core skill. You have no ranks applied to the "ride" skill even though it's highlighted as a core skill, so maybe this should be a non-core skill?
I'm still coming up with 56 -
  • 7 Balance
  • 7 Climb
  • 4 Handle Animal
  • 2 Heal
  • 5 Knowledge (geography)
  • 4 Knowledge (local)
  • 2 Operate Heavy Machinery
  • 5 Speak Other Language
  • 4 Spot
  • 2 Swim
  • 7 Use Rope
  • 7 Wilderness Lore
I calculate that as (4*7) + (2*5) + (3*4) + (3*2) = 28 + 10 + 12 + 6 = 56.

For my "Mountain Guide" template, I chose the following core skills: Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (geography), Ride, Swim, Use Rope, Wilderness Lore. For the three at-large core skills I chose Knowledge (local), Speak Other Language, and Spot. I deliberately left Operate Heavy Machinery as a non-core skill - it's just a couple of ranks invested for background reasons (Paco's time at the cannery).

I chose not to put any ranks in Ride - he can operate a dog sled or lead a string of llamas, but he doesn't have a lot of time on horseback, so he relies on his natural ability (Dex +2) to get by.

Does this clear things up a bit?
jdeleski said:
Also, I like the extra details that you've added to your character sheet in the areas of weapon attack and damage and also the full skill listing. These extra details will help me judge the game so I'm planning to update my sample sheet.
Thanks - I include those on my character sheets, and I was hoping you wouldn't mind if I added them here, too. I find it's a helpful time-saver.
jdeleski said:
Hey, I have 2 questions for you and Shaman (and anyone who plays this campaign, actually).
  1. Have you read the campaign book from Chaosium, "Beyond the Mountains of Madness"?
  2. Have you read H.P. Lovecraft's story, "At the Mountains of Madness"?
No and no - the only Lovecraft story I've read is "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" (I know, I'm pretty pathetic... :( ), and I've never read the campaign-book. I ran a short d20 CoC adventure a couple of years ago that involved mi-go in a Utah uranium mine - that's the only time I've played the game.

I should have no trouble at all roleplaying Paco's complete lack of Mythos knowledge! :heh:

I'm really looking forward to getting started! :cool:

I should have Paco's starting equipment done sometime today - I'll give you a heads up when it's posted. I'm assuming we'll have time to buy additional equipment when we get to New York...?
 


jdeleski

First Post
The Shaman said:
No worries - lessee...The point breakdown was Str 10 pts, Dex 6 pts, Con 8 pts, Int 2 pts, Wis 10 pts, and Cha 4 pts. for a total of 40 pts. The additional +1 to Con was from the 4th level attribute bump, raising the 15 to 16. Is that correct?

AH! You're quite correct! I had forgotten to think through the extra ability point at 4th level being worth more than simply a 1-for-1 addition. Sorry for my mental block on that one.

The Shaman said:
I'm still coming up with 56 -
  • 7 Balance
  • 7 Climb
  • 4 Handle Animal
  • 2 Heal
  • 5 Knowledge (geography)
  • 4 Knowledge (local)
  • 2 Operate Heavy Machinery
  • 5 Speak Other Language
  • 4 Spot
  • 2 Swim
  • 7 Use Rope
  • 7 Wilderness Lore
I calculate that as (4*7) + (2*5) + (3*4) + (3*2) = 28 + 10 + 12 + 6 = 56.

Yes, the listing above is correct if those are your core skills. Please unbold your "ride" skill in your character sheet (which makes me think that it's one of your core skills) and instead highlight the "operate heavy machinery" skill in bold typeface. That would clear up my confusion.

The Shaman said:
For my "Mountain Guide" template, I chose the following core skills: Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (geography), Ride, Swim, Use Rope, Wilderness Lore. For the three at-large core skills I chose Knowledge (local), Speak Other Language, and Spot. I deliberately left Operate Heavy Machinery as a non-core skill - it's just a couple of ranks invested for background reasons (Paco's time at the cannery).

Here's where the error creeps in, I think. If "Operate Heavy Machinery" is not a core skill, it requires 4 skill points to raise it 2 ranks. Non-core skills are raised at 1/2 a rank per invested skill point as per the D20 CoC manual, pg 18, "Acquiring Skills at 1st Level".

The Shaman said:
No and no - the only Lovecraft story I've read is "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" (I know, I'm pretty pathetic... :( ), and I've never read the campaign-book. I ran a short d20 CoC adventure a couple of years ago that involved mi-go in a Utah uranium mine - that's the only time I've played the game.).

Excellent! I was hoping that we'd attract a few individuals who haven't read the stories. It'll be all the more, er, fun! :uhoh:

----------------------------------------------
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).
 

The Shaman

First Post
jdeleski said:
If "Operate Heavy Machinery" is not a core skill, it requires 4 skill points to raise it 2 ranks. Non-core skills are raised at 1/2 a rank per invested skill point as per the D20 CoC manual, pg 18, "Acquiring Skills at 1st Level".
I see the confusion now - I put down two ranks but assigned a +1 bonus, refelcting the 2:1 nature of skill points for non-core skills - it should be one rank that cost two skill points, with the same +1 bonus.

I fix it when I update my sheet. :)

Ride is bold and Operate... is not so that I can tell my core skills from my non-core skills, even though Ride doesn't have any ranks and Operate... does - do you still want me to change it?
 
Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Thanks for the invitation! I think I am finished with Vittorio, he is in the Gallery. This is my first CoC character, so please go over it with a fine-toothed comb.

Happy to be joining such splendid company!

Edit: A couple quick notes on character building. First, I'm still considering dropping a Skill focus to take a weapon prof so I can get rid of that pesky -4 to hit. Man, I really take that for granted in d20 Modern.

Second, I'm not sure how languages work. Do I need to spend a couple skill points to get English, or is it a bonus system like in normal d20?
 
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases

Top