• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daggerspell Mage

blalien

First Post
So yeah, Daggerspell Mage. From Complete Adventurer page 31. I'm torn between going Rogue 1/Wizard 5 or Rogue 2/Wizard 5. It's basically a question of Evasion vs. another wizard level. Obviously the wizard level is better at like level 17, but we're starting at level 3 and I don't know how long this campaign is going. Any thoughts?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Evasion is only useful if you have to roll reflex saves for half damage; spellcasting is useful pretty much no matter what. OTOH, the rogue level also ups a lot of skills, so if you figure you're going to get a lot of use out of rogue skills that's something to consider as well besides evasion. IME, Evasion doesn't get used a whole lot, simply because DMs favor nonspellcasting monsters and NPCs and I don't do traps much.

I'd be inclined to favor spellcasting, unless your DM likes to throw fireballs and ref save traps at you a lot.

blalien

First Post
That's true. I'll take the wizard level now and take the rogue level later if it turns out the DM loves his fireballs.

Thanks for the help.

Herzog

Adventurer
suggestion from a Daggerspell Mage build I'm constructing:

throw in 2 levels of unseen seer (Complete Mage) to get spellcasting progression, sneak attack progression, and access to Hunter's Eye (Spell Compendium) which lets you add 1d6 to your sneak attack for every 3 caster levels....

Shin Okada

Explorer
I prefer to have Evasion. Not just area attack spells but breath weapons and similar special attacks are popular amongst monsters. Daggerspell Mage is ... fragile.

Remove ads