Daily Art Preview

Zamkaizer

First Post
Cirex said:
He asked for a flaming whip, he didn't talk about an original work!
But Hussar's response read as though he thought it was a new piece.

small pumpkin man said:
Wait, using models is bad now?
Of course not. But the Githzerai, and the rest of Komarck's illustrations, for that matter, seem to adhere particularly closely to the reference photo. This leads to a bunch of fantasy illustrations that, for some reason, involve graduate students from modern day Michigan.

And though I like the Githzerai alot, I'm glad Komarck isn't doing the covers for the core rulebooks. His illustrations often have an air of hilariously bad special effects from Sci-Fi Channel Original Movies.

ImperialParadox

First Post
That is the best piece of Githzerai artwork I've ever seen. As a fan of both Gith's I heartily approve. :)

I'll second/third/whatever the sentiment - more Michael Kormack please.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Derren said:
That looks more like a Sci-Fi "Human against alien robot/monster" picture than a fantasy D&D picture. Swap out the flaming sword against a lightsaber and you have a perfect star wars image.

But the Githzerai are very good.
Flametongue. Beholder. Plate mail.

Sci fi. Of course. Why didn't I see it earlier.

enfacepalmar7.jpg

Zamkaizer said:
Of course not. But the Githzerai, and the rest of Komarck's illustrations, for that matter, seem to adhere particularly closely to the reference photo. This leads to a bunch of fantasy illustrations that, for some reason, involve graduate students from modern day Michigan.
True, although as I read comics and have read through a bunch of threads going over D&D artwork over the years, I would consider this to be a minor fault, indeed when you're designing for D&D, I'd probably argue it's a positive thing.
Zamkaizer said:
And though I like the Githzerai alot, I'm glad Komarck isn't doing the covers for the core rulebooks. His illustrations often have an air of hilariously bad special effects from Sci-Fi Channel Original Movies.
I will agree that relatively normal people are his forte, and that his depictions of "the fantastic" can be a bit hit and miss, (kind of the complete opposite of WAR).

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
But Hussar's response read as though he thought it was a new piece.

To each his own, I guess. But this picture from Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk would be perfect for the Dungeon Master's Guide:

[sblock]
cov_20.jpg
[/sblock]

And his cover for Elder Evils wouldn't look out of place on a Monster Manual cover:

[sblock]
cov_32.jpg
[/sblock]

And if we consider "adventurers vs. dragon" the perfect image for a PHB, check out his cover for the Eberron novel "The Killing Song":

[sblock]
cov_17.jpg
[/sblock]

DandD

First Post
Klaus said:
To each his own, I guess. But this picture from Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk would be perfect for the Dungeon Master's Guide:

[sblock]
cov_20.jpg
[/sblock]

And his cover for Elder Evils wouldn't look out of place on a Monster Manual cover:

[sblock]
cov_32.jpg
[/sblock]

And if we consider "adventurers vs. dragon" the perfect image for a PHB, check out his cover for the Eberron novel "The Killing Song":

[sblock]
cov_17.jpg
[/sblock]
Whoa, they're fantastic.

Why? Why do we have to contend with the elephant-feet women and the jar-jar-binks-draconoid? What did we do to deserve such low-class pictures? :(

AllisterH

First Post
Well, maybe he's the type of artist good with "humans" but not that hot with non-human. Anyone have any pics of Cormack with other non-human adventurers.

Derren

Hero
AllisterH said:
Well, maybe he's the type of artist good with "humans" but not that hot with non-human. Anyone have any pics of Cormack with other non-human adventurers.

I suppose you mean humanoid non-humans because Kyuss and the Copper Dragon look very good.

Remove ads