• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter: Discovery

iwatt

First Post
Ok, is anybody going to do anything special in the following days? I guess that's what Falkus is waiting for. I'm looking forward to entering the Institute. :D

Shayuri

First Post
Falkus, I've a question for ya. Two, kinda.

My concept has evolved some since we started, and I spent some time studying the advanced classes...and I had an idea I rather liked. To really take off though, it may need some tweaking of the mechanics. Hence...the question.

The advanced class I realized I liked was Shadow Slayer. It won't step on any of our more studious toes like Mage or Occultist would, and I found I rather liked the idea of such a non-physical character as Meredith developing strange powers for use against inhuman nastiness.

Of course, she'd suck at it. That's the problem. So how would you feel about two modifications; one to be made immediately with minimal IC impact, and the other to be made later. The first is simple enough. Reduce Intelligence to 14, reapportion those points to Str and Dex. Possibly also reduce Cha to 12 and so on, but I hope to avoid that, cuz I like having decent Cha in a fight. Anyway, since Meredith hasn't really used much in the way of skills yet, I didn't figure it would require any retconning to do this alteration. Still, I'd like your okay to proceed.

Secondly, and more controversially, to really make the most of the PrC and the thematic elements of it, what would you say to the idea of Meredith "skipping" a level of advancement to gain some one-time spiffs? Essentially, taking on a +1 LA template. Perhaps reflecting a genetic legacy tied into "shadow slaying," or something similar. If that idea is acceptable, then what sort of things do you think would be fair for a one-level investment? I was thinking some kind of stat bonus and bonus to save versus "shadow" effects, perhaps. But I'm open to ideas!

Falkus

Explorer
Of course, she'd suck at it. That's the problem. So how would you feel about two modifications; one to be made immediately with minimal IC impact, and the other to be made later. The first is simple enough. Reduce Intelligence to 14, reapportion those points to Str and Dex. Possibly also reduce Cha to 12 and so on, but I hope to avoid that, cuz I like having decent Cha in a fight. Anyway, since Meredith hasn't really used much in the way of skills yet, I didn't figure it would require any retconning to do this alteration. Still, I'd like your okay to proceed.

No problem with this.

Secondly, and more controversially, to really make the most of the PrC and the thematic elements of it, what would you say to the idea of Meredith "skipping" a level of advancement to gain some one-time spiffs? Essentially, taking on a +1 LA template. Perhaps reflecting a genetic legacy tied into "shadow slaying," or something similar. If that idea is acceptable, then what sort of things do you think would be fair for a one-level investment? I was thinking some kind of stat bonus and bonus to save versus "shadow" effects, perhaps. But I'm open to ideas!

Now, I like this idea. Give me a little while, and I'll see what I can come up with. My d20 Future Companion has some rules that I should be able to use to come up with a balanced and appropriate template.

Falkus

Explorer
Here's a concept I just whipped up. Let me know what you think.

Confronter: A genetic legacy dating back to Ancient Egypt, the origins of Confronters are lost to time, but it is known that they were created to find and fight supernatural beings for some reason. The gene sequence, built into the junk DNA of the person, normally lies dormant in the few people who do inherit it. Therein lies the supernatural component that is beyond the understanding of modern geneticists, as the sequence has been known to suddenly activate itself in a person who has had a confrontation with the supernatural, which is considered to be impossible by the modern understanding of genetics.

+4 str bonus
+2 bonus to saves against magic and psionics
Bonus Feat: Alertness
LA: +1

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
Falkus said:
Here's a concept I just whipped up. Let me know what you think.

+4 str bonus
+2 bonus to saves against magic and psionics
Bonus Feat: Alertness
LA: +1

Nice. I like the flavor text.

Shayuri

First Post
As for why...I'd think it was fairly clear. Way back in the Ago, they didn't have guns or other nice modern tech that could be used to blow big gaping holes in nasty things. So they worked out a way to make people into "anti-demons." This template plus the Shadow Stalker advanced class would simulate that pretty well I think.

Thanks!

I'll make the changes and post to the Rogue's Gallery as soon as I'm done.

I wanna get at least to level 3 before I take the LA, so I have some decent HP and so on before I skip a level. :)

Remove ads