Dark*Matter: Discovery

Falkus

Explorer
This world is a very different place than you might imagine. On the surface, it is much like our own, but in the shadows, it is very, very different. This world is full of secrets, secrets that the average person is incapable of comprehending or understanding, even witnessing at times.

You are perfectly ordinary people. Not a member of a global conspiracy, or secret society. At least, not yet, that is.

And you will soon become privy to these secrets that are hidden from the bulk of humanity.

Soldier or police officer, teacher or student. Perhaps a conspiracy theorist, or maybe a die hard skeptic. All that you have in common is that tonight, in the early fall, in the midst of a heavy rainstorm; you are in the Brooks Public Library in downtown Chicago, at about nine PM. This is where you journey to the truth will begin.

I’m looking for several people to take part in a d20 Modern Dark*Matter campaign. Investigation will be a primary theme, but combat will have its place.

Character Creation:

You start at level one, with 32 point buy for stats. Assume a roll for 6 in starting welath. The d20 Modern Companions, Urban Arcana, and d20 Dark*Matter are permissible sources. Give me a decent sized background and personality, this is not negotiable. Psionics and magical FX are permitted.

Knowledge of the Dark*Matter campaign setting is not required.

All rolls will be handled through Invisible Castle.

Last edited:

Friadoc

Explorer
Hey, Falkus,

Roughly what turns per day or week are you looking for?

I've been a long time Dark*Matter fan, since its Alternity days and into d20, so I'm more than interested.

Hopefully things won't fill up before I can sign-up.

Thanks,

kinem

Adventurer
Looks interesting. I'll put together a character idea.

I've wanted to try d20 Modern, since I bought the book and haven't had a chance to use it. I admit I don't like some things about it, but I want to see how it works in practice.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I actually have a character concept in mind; something I was going to use for another game.

Nick Wells is a retired archaeologist from Boston. He's more of a research type of guy who let his partner do most of the hands-on work, although he's still more than capable. His partner, however, has since disappeared under some very strange circumstances, leaving Nick hell-bent on finding out the truth.

Like I said, he's originally from Boston, but his research could have easily brought him to Chicago for one reason or another, so that shouldn't be an issue. He's not exactly hero material, but hey - you said we're perfectly normal, right?

Let me know if he'll fit, and I'll get a sheet up for your approval.

kinem

Adventurer
Diego Borges: Strong Hero 1

Str 14
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 12

defense 14 (+1 class, +2 dex, +1 equip), touch 13, ff 12
hp 10, init +2, move 30’, wealth +4, reputation +0

Feats: Wild Talent (burst 3/day), Simple Weapons Proficiency, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Dodge

Talents: Melee Smash (+1 melee damage)

Class Skills: The Strong hero’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are:
Climb (Str), Craft (structural) (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (current events, popular culture, streetwise, tactics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Read/Write Language (none), Repair (Int), Speak Language (none), and Swim (Str). From starting occupation (Criminal): Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex)

Skills (ranks/total): Jump 4/6, Disable Device 4/6, Hide 4/6, Knowledge (streetwise) 4/6, Drive 1/3, Speak Language (Spanish), Read/Write Language (Spanish)

Key Equip.:
Knife 1d4 crit 19-20 Piercing 10 ft. Tiny 1 lb. Purch DC 7
Attack +3 melee, damage 1d4+3

Stun gun 1d3 20 Electricity - Tiny 1 lb. Purch DC 5
Attack +3 melee, damage 1d3+3 (electric) + stun
On a successful hit, the stun gun deals 1d3 points of electricity damage, and the target must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) or be paralyzed for 1d6 rounds.

Colt Python 2d6 20 Ballistic 40 ft. ROF S 6 cyl. Med 3 lb. PDC 15 Lic (+1)
(.357 revolver) (mastercraft, +1 to hit)
Attack +4 ranged, damage 2d6, crit 20/x2

Leather Jacket (+1 defense)

Description:
6’0”, latino, 20 years old

Background/personality:

Diego’s mother (Delores) was an illegal immigrant from Mexico. She married a Mexican-American man (Garcia Borges) and they live in Chicago. Diego lives with his parents.

Diego had potential, doing well in school until he fell in with a gang of drug dealers. He was involved in some violent crimes including a robbery during which his older brother and fellow gang member Manuel was killed. He is trying to put that behind him, but he still associates with some of the gang. He still has enemies from those days too, and that is why (or so he tells himself) he finds it prudent to carry a weapon.

He currently works at a McDonalds. He dates but does not have a steady girlfriend.

He has always believed that he was somehow different from other people. The only real evidence he has is that when he tries to run really fast, sometimes he feels he can run faster than usual. Even stranger, he thinks that by concentrating, he can briefly speed up another person. He has had no luck investigating this anomoly but hopes to understand it some day.

Another way in which he is different is that he has always had an interest in fantasy books, and he is a regular D&D player.

Tonight he realized that he has a bunch of overdue library books that he forgot about, so he decided (thanks to a little parental insistance) to drop them off at the library before they cost him any more money.

Last edited:

Remove ads