D&D 5E Dark Sun, problematic content, and 5E…

Is problematic content acceptable if obviously, explicitly evil and meant to be fought?

• Yes.

Votes: 204 89.5%
  • No.

Votes: 24 10.5%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I never said it was Dark Sun unique. I said it contain all of them in a prominent position. (I can't forget I forgot Physical and Political Oppression).

The issue is that if you remove all of this, it isn't Dark Sun. It's just a generic wasteland setting with Dark Sun names.
There is no money in that as you anger old day and made something boring for potential fans.

WOTC could make a profitable wasteland setting. But it wont be Dark Sun.
Again, publishing something named Dark Sun would at least open the setting up to the DMsGuild.

Micah Sweet

Here is the 4e text on Muls (from the Campaign Guide):

Muls are half-dwarves, descended from the union of a human and a dwarf. They have the stature, agility, and mental flexibility of humankind, coupled with the physical resilience and endurance of dwarves - a rare combination of qualities that makes muls more​
than a simple blend of the two races.​
Because they are strong, tough, quick, and blessed with fantastic endurance, muls are highly prized as slaves. In fact, most muls are born into slavery.​
Play a mul if you want...​
  • to be tough as nails.
  • to play a hero who fought his or her way out of the bonds of slavery.
  • to be a member of a race that favors the fighter, barbarian, and battlemind classes.
. . .​
Most muls begin their lives as slaves. Slaveholders throughout the Tyr Region have long known that tremendous hardiness and stamina result from mixing human and dwarven lines. Muls make outstanding gladiators, slave warriors, and heavy laborers, enduring toil and hardships that would kill lesser folk.​
Muls who set their hearts on freedom are difficult to keep in chains. Some escape to the wilds and become raiders or join tribes of ex-slaves, whereas others who escape become mercenaries and sell their fighting skills to whomever they can. Muls who don’t flee captivity can win their freedom in the arena or by completing a dangerous task for their masters. A few highly prized gladiators receive so many privileges and comforts that they are effectively free, enjoying great latitude to go where they want and do as they wish. The Dungeon Master might have mul heroes start the campaign as slaves. If not, assume that your mul character has already won his or her freedom by the time the game begins.​
Muls are hard, driven, pragmatic folk with little remorse or sympathy in their hearts. Many grow up under the lash, having been taken from their parents while very young and subjected to brutal training for the arena or grinding toil in fields or quarries. Consequently, muls have a hard time offering friendship and trust to anyone. More than a few muls, scarred by the hardships of their upbringing, spend their days as bitter, violent misanthropes. Others are suspicious, grasping mercenaries who have learned never to lift a finger on behalf of another person without establishing what they will gain from providing aid. Despite their tendency to be sullen or self-centered, muls can learn to work alongside others. Growing up in the slave pits and the underclass of society taught them how to forge alliances and understandings; their survival demanded nothing less. . . .​
The word “mul” is derived from the Dwarven term mulzhennedar, which means “strength.” Pronunciation varies​
throughout the Tyr Region; the word can be pronounced as mool, mull, or mule, although this last variation is considered derogatory and might start a fight. Given the derivation of the name, sages who care about such matters regard mull as the most accurate pronunciation.​

I think it illustrates some of the problems that a 5e-era revival of Dark Sun would face.
That sounds like a great character concept, to be fair. I've seen many stories featuring protagonists with similar backstories.

pemerton

Legend
That sounds like a great character concept, to be fair. I've seen many stories featuring protagonists with similar backstories.
No disagreement.

But I think it's also rife with problems - eg that being treated harshly (as a slave) makes you a harsh person, that being exploited (as a slave) makes you a callous mercenary exploiter of others; plus the hints of "forced breeding" (= rape or something in that neighbourhood).

I'm not in any way saying it's unplayable. In my 4e Dark Sun game, one of the PCs played a Mul, who was indeed an escaped slave.

But I can see why a commercial publisher in WotC's vein would want to handle it with extreme care.

Micah Sweet

No disagreement.

But I think it's also rife with problems - eg that being treated harshly (as a slave) makes you a harsh person, that being exploited (as a slave) makes you a callous mercenary exploiter of others; plus the hints of "forced breeding" (= rape or something in that neighbourhood).

I'm not in any way saying it's unplayable. In my 4e Dark Sun game, one of the PCs played a Mul, who was indeed an escaped slave.

But I can see why a commercial publisher in WotC's vein would want to handle it with extreme care.
From what I can see, they've chosen to not handle it at all instead.

Who could feel offended or unconfortable with a revival of DS, Russian or Chinese goverment? Who dares to talk in the name of the "modern sensibilities"?

If I draw a group of thraxes (Athasian "vampires") with turbants.... would be offensive? But if they were vampires wearing morrions(the helms used by Spanish conquerors), then as if nothing happened.

Really can't it be fixed with a reboot of the setting? We change or skip those details.

Are there more risks than other settings if it is unlocked in DS?

What if the khaastas catched Athasians in one of their planar raids, but after with help of giths these started a rebellion, and when they recovered their freedom they created settles in other place?
1678714559976.png

Remove ads