• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun Spellcasting

Ok, what do you guys think...

-=-About Athasian Magic-=-

Athasian spellcasters require life energy to power their spells, and they get that energy from athas and its plant life.

There are two kinds of spellcasters on Athas.

Preservers: Wizards who use a minimal amount of life force to power their spells, even going so far as to replace it. When they do harm at all, it is like a hummingbird drinking the nectar of a flower.

Defilers: Wizards who seek power at the expense of the fragile athasian environment. They power their spells with cruel abandon. Wizards who chose this path, or even tempt it, often become addicted to the practice.

-=- Spellcasting -=-

At first level, a Wizard chooses whether he is a preserver or a defiler. This affects how he casts spells. There are 3 ways to gather energy for a spell. Gathering energy is a free action that is assumed to take place during the casting of the spell.

Spell types

Standard
Available to: Preservers
A standard spell is a preserved spell. A standard spell can be cast in any environment that has any kind of life at all, at no bonus or penalty.

Obfuscated
Available to: Preservers
An obfuscated spell is a preserved spell that uses less energy than normal. This allows a spellcaster to hide his spellcasting from observers. To do so, he makes an opposed obfuscate* skill check against any spot (if the spell contains any somatic, material, or focus components) and/or listen (if the spell has a verbal component). An obfuscated spell is cast at -1 caster level.

*obfuscate is a new dex-based skill that is on the Wizard skill list. Its only use is in hiding spellcasting attempts.

Defiled
Available to: Defilers and Preservers
A defiled spell harms the environment, making the soil useless, and annihilating any living plants in a matter of seconds, leaving behind nothing but ash. Spells cast in this way are more powerful than standard spells, and can do more damage, have longer ranges, durations, etc. than other spells.

A defiled spell can increase the effectiveness of its level-dependent attributes dependent on the level of the caster independently.

1-4 +1
5-8 +2
9-12 +3
13-16 +4
17-20 +5

For example, Galth, a 6th level Wizard wants to defile a Magic Missile spell. Because he is 6th level, he gets to add 2 levels to one of the level-dependent attributes of the spell. He decides to raise the damage to 7th level, so he gets 4 missiles instead of his usual 3. because spending both of his level bonuses on damage is useless, he instead raises the range of the spell by 1 level as well, bringing it up to 170 feet instead of 160. Or he could chose not to spend any of these bonus levels at all.

Defiling a spell creates a dark circle of ash, centered on the defiler, equal to 5' times the level of the spell (minimum 5'). If the defiler is standing in a spot already defiled, increase the radius of the defiled area by half rounded down to the nearest 5'. (minimum 5') This circle of ash in and of itself has no effect on combat, though it could be used to destroy plant obstructions and the like.

If a preserver defiles, he risks permanently becoming a defiler. A preserver must roll a will save DC 10+level of spell+number of times previously defiled. A failure means that he becomes a defiler permanently. A preserver can opt to fail this roll if he desires.

-=- Terrain Modifiers -=-

Normal
Normal terrain offers no real bonuses or penalties.
Examples: Scrub Plains, Stony Barrens, Rocky Badlands, Boulder Fields, Bare Mountains, Sandy Wastes, Salt Flats

Lush
Lush terrain offers more energy than normal to a Wizard. However, only a defiler can get benefit from the abundance. Any defiled spells are cast at +1 caster level.
Examples: Forests, Large Gardens, Parks, Verdant Belts, Grasslands, Oases.

Dead
Dead terrain is utterly barren of life. Gathering energy for spells is impossible here, as there is nothing to gather.
Examples: Obsidian Plain

-=- Pre-Gathering energy -=-

Most energy is gathered at the time of the casting of the spell. However, there are situations where a spellcaster may want to carry energy with him. Doing this is a full round action per spell charge carried.

A Defiler can carry with him the energy to cast a number of spells equal to half of his level.

A Preserver can carry with him the energy to cast a number of spells equal to his level.

-=- Other changes to the wizard Class -=-

Normally, whenever a wizard gains a level, he can add two spells to his spellbook. Unfortunately, because of the illegal nature of spellcasting, and the lack of avenues of proper education, an athasian wizard only gets one.

-=- Sorcerers? Bards? -=-

The basic assumption of these classes is that their magic is somehow fueled from an inner source, or that magic somehow comes naturally for them. This simply does not fit in with how magic is done on Athas. Sorcerers do not exist, and Bards do not have spellcasting ability. (this has been replaced with other abilities.)

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
Have you checked out athas.org? They have some fairly decent rules for this. To reflect that it is easier to be a defiler than it is to be a wizard, all wizards are defilers by default and have to take a feat to be preservers.

I'm not really satisfied with athas.org's conversion. If you go to their message board in the wizards website, one common topic is new and different ways of handling spellcasting. The readers there are sick of it (which is why i made my post here) and athas.org has given up on trying to come up with a system that will satisfy their readers, pretty much saying that it is impossible. Not very professional imho.

When I was trying to do my first Darksun 3.0 conversion, it was required to do a Concentration check.

Base was 15, then the usual spell casting modifyings and then extras I implanted.
These extras were based on land type (amount of vegatation) and level of spell.

Missing the check caused anything from minor to radical changes.

Miss by a point or two and the defiling was minor if even noticeable. Think dought conditions.

Miss by 5+ and there was clear environmental damage. Another table determined damage by level of spell and spell caster.

Miss by 10+ and defile but at +1/2 caster level per number -10 missed.

So you needed a 20 to caste as a preserver. Rolled a 8. You missed by 10+ so you defiled and gained +1 caster level. 6= +2 caster level 4= +3 and etc....

Defilers don't need to worry about the check or if they WISHED to preserve in their case then try to make the concentration check.

It worked okay but there was alot of tables and rolls to do which slowed down the game.

I don't really see it necessary to force wizards into a role of defiler, or make it so easy for them to accidentally defile.

My goals for this are...

-No rolls. It just slows down the game. The only exception I made was when a preserver defiles, which should be a big deal anyway.

-The most retainable information as possible. The fewer concerns about environmental effects, the better. So i threw all environments into a few uncomplicated categories. I also didn't want defiled areas to have an effect on combat. The only case it would really matter was when there was hindering or blocking vegetation terrain.

-Game Balance. I'm not sure how well I succeeded in that. But I think I at least made defilers and preservers balanced with each other. While defilers have more raw power, that doesn't mean that there arent benefits from being a preserver, for instance, being able to hide your spellcasting. It wasn't in 2nd edition rules, but sadira does it in the novels. And defiling sort of precludes any kind of hidden spellcasting. To balance the wizard out with the rest of the classes, I removed one of the spells he learns when he gains a level, making a tough situation only worse. (magic is outlawed almost everywhere.)

Remove ads