Darkvision and mirrors?

Hypersmurf said:
If I can See Invisible, can I see the reflection of an invisible person in a mirror?
No. Just because you can see invisible doesn't mean the mirror reflects your target. You can see the mirror and what's reflected in it, there's no logic to it getting to use your magic abilities. Something is either reflected in the mirror or not. If you can see the mirror, you can see it, or not.
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of a person in an invisible mirror?
Yes if this a continuation of the person who can see invisible.
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of an invisible person in an invisible mirror in the dark, if I have darkvision as well?
No because the person is invisible.

I can understand the argument of limiting the range of darkvision through a mirror from a balance perspective, but I don't see any justification for why that would be mechanically. The mirror is not part of you - it just reflects something or not.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Blow Leprechaun said:
No. Just because you can see invisible doesn't mean the mirror reflects your target.

Yes if this a continuation of the person who can see invisible.

I don't see the consistency between these two answers. If the mirror is invisible - so light passes through it - how can it produce a reflection if, at the same time, an invisible person cannot be reflected?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
I don't see the consistency between these two answers. If the mirror is invisible - so light passes through it - how can it produce a reflection if, at the same time, an invisible person cannot be reflected?
If you decide that light passes through something that is invisible (a fair assumption), then I agree you would see nothing in an invisible mirror. I don't know exactly how invisibility works (much like darkvision), but if that's how it does, then no to all your questions.

I think what he was trying to say is that See Invisibility lets you see anything invisible. On the surface of the mirror would be the 'reflection' of the person who is invisible. But since he is, indeed, invisible, there is no reflection. There is nothing invisible on the mirror to see.

Invisibility is much trickier than darkvision, imho... darkvision is a fairly static ability that only changes in terms of its range.

Invisibility on the other hand can vary widely. A spell like Invisibility Sphere produces weird effects, such as those inside the sphere able to see each other normally. This (and the fact that invisibility is an illusion spell) seem to suggest that invisibility does not actually have a direct impact on the physical world - which means light would not so much pass through an invisible person as do... something else. What, I don't know.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Blow Leprechaun said:
This (and the fact that invisibility is an illusion spell) seem to suggest that invisibility does not actually have a direct impact on the physical world - which means light would not so much pass through an invisible person as do... something else. What, I don't know.

It's not mind-affecting, whatever it is :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
werk said:
I do seem to remember, in a Drizzt novel, that the drow specifically had to light a candle (or other light source) in order to see reflections in a mirror. The mirror itself was described as 'alien' to the drow.

That was because the drow's ability to see in darkness at the time the novel was written resulted from the ability to see patterns of heat - infravision, not darkvision.

-Hyp.

Machiavelli

First Post
"Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight."

Turn on the lights: can you see a reflection in the mirror? Yes?

Now turn off the lights. You have Darkvision: can you see a reflection in the mirror? By definition, also yes. It's black and white only, but it's there.

GodOfCheese

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If I can See Invisible, can I see the reflection of an invisible person in a mirror?
The question is, does a mirror reflect my vision, or does my vision reflect what the mirror shows? If the mirror reflects my vision ("eye rays" in raytracing, iirc), then mirrors work with darkvision and all spells that affect vision. If your vision sees what the mirror sees, then your supernormal vision only detects the mirror itself.

If you see what the mirror sees, then no: the reflection is not invisible, it merely doesn't exist.
If the mirror reflects your vision, then yes, and your campaign is that much cheaper to produce for television...
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of a person in an invisible mirror?
Yes either way. An invisible mirror still generates reflections of otherwise-visible characters (if it didn't, all invisible people would be blind).
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of an invisible person in an invisible mirror in the dark, if I have darkvision as well?
As first question: if the mirror reflects vision, then yes. If vision reflects the mirror, then no.

Remove ads