D&D 5E DC Comics Publishing Dungeons & Dragons Sourcebook

Christian Hoffer at ComicBook.com reports that DC Comics will be publishing a Dungeons & Dragons compatible sourcebook set in the world of its new fantasy series The Last God.

“The Last God: Tales from The Book of Ages is a 40-page sourcebook that will be published in April and will detail the "the rich history of the people, locations, schools of magic and creatures found throughout Cain Anuun," the setting of The Last God. Written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson with art by series artist Riccardo Federici and cover artist Kai Carpenter, the book will also contain Dungeons & Dragons 5E compatible playable races, subclasses, magic items, monsters and more designed by Nerd Poker DM Dan Telfer, and maps by cartographer Jared Blando.”

Read more at ComicBook.com and DC Comics:

1579287591382.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Birmy

Adventurer
The Rolled and Told magazines have been a fun creation. Fun read, adventures in a comic page sized magazine.

edit-13 issues so far and hopefully picks back up in 2020. When they merged with Oni, this was waylaid for a bit it seems.

I thought Rolled and Told was only just starting to figure itself out when it folded, so I'd welcome a return (hell, the return of any print RPG magazine, really). The house ad on the back of the last issue promised "Fall 2020" as a return, but I'll be surprised to see it. I'm not sure how many gamers outside the ones who deep-dive into the comic shop distribution catalogue even knew it existed.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Having read the comics this is based on it's a natural fit. The back story is the last group of heroes save the world from not-Cthulu and his vine zombies. But they really don't and not-Cthulu will come back from by turning the main hero (the current king) into his vine zomebie avatar/not-Cthulu when he sees his own son.

I'm just not a comics guy, but that summary is basically what I got trying to Google this and see what everyone is excited about. I'm assuming there has to be more going on there. Do they have a special type of magic or something that would make a cool subclass? Or just neat monsters? I'm not trying to crap on it or make anyone go on the defensive --I want in on the excitement.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So its dark ‘horror’ epic fantasy with some Conan-esque vibes and apparently a whole lot of tentacles:)
I do like that they’ve made the leap from DC comic to DnD sourcebook and that more support looks to be coming with the writers comment that “We’re figuring out ways to put the world-building out there besides the comic. We want to do source books and YouTube videos so people who are complete lore hounds like I am can have fun.”

Also
DC Comics Blurb said:
“Thirty years ago, a fellowship of legendary adventurers saved their world by slaying the demonic tyrant Mol Uhltep—The Last God. Following his downfall, the realm entered a new age of peace and prosperity. But a generation later, when the leader of the original fellowship dies, their children and successors learn their terrible lie:

The Last God still lives.

A new generation of heroes must unearth the secrets that their parents kept, and set out to finish what was started thirty years before. And this time, they must not fail.”

I

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I'm just not a comics guy, but that summary is basically what I got trying to Google this and see what everyone is excited about. I'm assuming there has to be more going on there. Do they have a special type of magic or something that would make a cool subclass? Or just neat monsters? I'm not trying to crap on it or make anyone go on the defensive --I want in on the excitement.

Pretty much the monsters seem to be vine zombies. There are aelvar (elves) of a few varieties, wizards, gladiators, and more.

For now there's not a whole lot that makes immediately different other than an interesting backstory and killer art.

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
I've been reading it since it came out. I believe they're now at issue 5 or 6. The art is stunning but the plot and setting are a little too obvious.

Last edited:

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
The Rolled and Told magazines have been a fun creation. Fun read, adventures in a comic page sized magazine.

edit-13 issues so far and hopefully picks back up in 2020. When they merged with Oni, this was waylaid for a bit it seems.
I was really happy when I saw Rolled & Told come out. Many people say that print is dying, but as someone who missed the boat on the heyday of Dragon magazine, I was more than happy to support a comic/magazine that was focused on D&D. I love print media and magazines have always been a weird hobby of mine.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Sounds like a neat little book, It would be fun if they did an Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld sourcebook as well.

As a fan of Amethyst since the first mini-series way back when, I'm glad to see the property getting so much renewed love lately! :)

And "The Last God" comic is quite good so far; issue 4 just came out, so it's quite possible to catch up in no time. (There's a plethora of fantasy comics out there from many publishers, but it's good to see DC supporting the genre.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases