D&D 4E DDXP 4E Rules Appendix

Voss

First Post
So, hopefully 'per day' is better explained in the PH. As it is, I'm wondering where the line is supposed to be drawn. If you 'extended rest' at 10 pm, is that your rest for yesterday, when you started, or today when you ended? And of course, as a definition it still has the wonderful loophole that the 3e resting rules did- if you're on a plane with a different 'day-cycle', what happens? If you're on the plane of Forever Night, where a 'day' is a million years, or the plane of Speedy Passage, where a 'day' is 5 minutes, does the game collapse in on itself?

eleran said:
I am using firefox also and when I open them in a new window they are REALLY tiny, same size they are pictured on the forum actually.

nevermind, I was opening them in a new tab, not new window. New window does the trick Thanx.

I suspect you right-clicked "view image" as opposed to just clicking the image. The former lets you view the thumbnail. The latter follows the link to the larger version.

Vempyre

Explorer
Campbell said:
Interesting. Immediate actions are no longer linked to swift minor actions. You get one immediate action per round and it cannot be used on your turn. I guess this means that a young black dragon who is brought to bloodied by an opportunity attack that occurs on his turn cannot use his breath weapon. I'm not sure how I feel about this. 4e will definitely require some amount of relearning.

The exception based rules fix that. Specific rules or exceptions win over the general rules so the Dragons' immediate action breath when bloodied overrules the general immediate action ruling.

Voss

First Post
Vempyre said:
The exception based rules fix that. Specific rules or exceptions win over the general rules so the Dragons' immediate action breath when bloodied overrules the general immediate action ruling.

No, it doesn't work like that. To do *that*, the immediate dragon breath would need an additional rule saying it overrides the normal rules for immediate actions. Otherwise it does, indeed, follow the normal rules for immediate actions- because it isn't giving a specific exception.

'When bloodied' is only the trigger for the immediate action- it doesn't over ride the normal rules in any way, except that it allows the creature to make an immediate action. That is the only exception- by default, creatures don't have any immediate actions to take.

Last edited:

quindia

First Post
Here's a vanilla PDF of the sheets I made up. I was going to make a fancy version, but I figured folks would like one that prints without wasting lots of ink.

Edit: Sorry, Withak! Didn't realize you already posted a PDF!

Attachments

• D&D Quickplay Rules.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:

hennebeck

First Post
So, hopefully 'per day' is better explained in the PH. As it is, I'm wondering where the line is supposed to be drawn. If you 'extended rest' at 10 pm, is that your rest for yesterday, when you started, or today when you ended? And of course, as a definition it still has the wonderful loophole that the 3e resting rules did- if you're on a plane with a different 'day-cycle', what happens? If you're on the plane of Forever Night, where a 'day' is a million years, or the plane of Speedy Passage, where a 'day' is 5 minutes, does the game collapse in on itself?
Let's hope you have a sane DM.
A day is one cycle for your adventurers. If they can push on for 48 hours, then they push. When they sleep after 2 days, their HP reset, their AP reset and they get their daily powers back.
If players want to fight for 5 mintues, and then sleep for 6 hours, then they get all their stuff back.
But I won't play in a game that lets players do that, nor do I want to play with people that exploit the game like that.

As for the saving throw vs. dying, I ran the demo adventure yesterday, and when the Fighter rolled a 20, she got 1/4 HP and used one Healing Surge. Came back in the middle of combat and promptly died. ;)

Stalker0 said:
3) It mentions under action points that they are "most commonly" used to grant extra actions. That indicates there may be some additional things you can do with them.
Here's one of the feats that were previewed a while back:

First Reaction
Tier:
Paragon
Benefit: If you are surprised, you may spend an action point to act during the surprise round.

Remove ads