Dear Wizards of the Coast blog post...

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The article takes far too long to make its point, but I found it convincing, once it got there.

One potential problem is that WotC may have already lost the 3e support market, which seems like the juiciest plum right now, to Paizo.

Well, don't think of it as Wizards publishing support materials for 3e to compete with Paizo's Pathfinder game.

Think of it as Wizards publishing support materials-- at minimal expense to them-- for Paizo's Pathfinder game. It's not a bad niche market for a company that can service it completely on autopilot while focusing on their real products.

Wizards is never going to make a pile of cash on their back catalog. Only thing they're really going to accomplish by re-releasing it-- with minimal support-- is get more of their former customers looking at their new products and fewer of their bitterest detractors trying to turn people away from them.

This alone is totally worth it.

Another person who acts like they know what they are talking about and actually doesn't. Wizards is not a small publishing company that can suffice on small profit, they need large profit and business growth or Hasbro will just shut them down and liquidate their assets or just shut down the pen and paper division if that is holding back the company.

If you have every edition of D&D available, Wizards would just then be competing with themselves which is bad business sense and why TSR went under as they fractured their userbase with every new campaign setting they supported, releasing new books regardless of sales. A book needs high sales to make up for the cost of development and when you dividing your are base, your sales will drop.

The "new system" business is the most profitable because the highest selling books are the core rulebooks. Most people don't buy supplementary material and a business can't survive on them.

I dont agree with all his conclusions but I also think he raises many good points. In the past TSR succesfully sold multiple editions at the same time. This might not be a bad approach. They dont need to sell all editions, but could do a AD&D (a sort of fusion of 1e and 2e), 3e and 4e.

Core book treadmills are the problem here not the solution. Wotc can survive on supplements if they make good ones that offer more than rules bloat.

As an aside, i am sorry to hear about the quoted blogger's health condition. Having been quite sick myself over the past year, i sympathize and hope things aren't as bleak as they appear from his post.

Lalato

Adventurer
The only time TSR sold multiple editions was when they sold a basic and an advanced game. That is not at all the same as selling multiple Advanced editions of the game. They did sell multiple campaign settings at the same time though.

The idea that WotC is going to make money from the TSR back catalog seems silly to me. It is a rare item that I can't find on eBay or some other source for a reasonable price. Is WotC going to undercut that very reasonable price? If so, then those already reasonable prices on eBay will come down even more.

While I personally think it would be great for WotC to offer this stuff, I have serious doubts that it would actually make them any money. And I think WotC likely has concerns that it could be a money losing venture.

That said, I do believe that WotC needs to figure out electronic distribution for 5e. I think there are a lot of people now running their games with PDFs (see Pathfinder, especially) and if 5e doesn't have some way for them to view the rules offline electronically, they may not buy into it. And even though I'm a current DDI subscriber... no, a DDI subscription does not count as electronic distribution.

The only time TSR sold multiple editions was when they sold a basic and an advanced game. That is not at all the same as selling multiple Advanced editions of the game. They did sell multiple campaign settings at the same time though.

Basic wasn't all that basic. It is about as different as 1e is to 4e, possibly 1e to 3e. And TSR sold two completely different editions of the game for years. I think it is certainly possible for wotc to make money supporting AD&D, 3E and 4E.

Hussar

Legend
The trick is, TSR didn't actually support 1e after 2e came out. They kept selling the books, sure, but, they did absolutely no new support.

Basic is a whole nother beast, and yup, it was a complete and fairly well supported line throughout.

So, yeah, you could do multiple editions at the same time, theoretically. Question is, do you want to bother? It's all about the bottom line. Is there enough incentive there to do so?

I know people want to believe that there is, and, anecdotally, there seems to be, but, I'm not sure. And, about the only way to convince me would be to actually see real projections, not just the cloud watching that we get on the Internet.

Number48

First Post
Okay, I'm going to admit that although I read the blog, I haven't read through the entire thread. Apologies if I'm repeating anything that has been said. Coming from a printing background, I think I can shed a little light that the original post overlooked.

First, the expense or re-releasing print versions of old books, modules, etc. Everyone has become so entrenched in the digital age that they assume these exist in a computer somewhere. They don't. I sincerely doubt they even have access to 2nd edition because of the change in ownership. So the cost is much, much higher than you might think if you want to release a good product. You can scan it and release a lousy product, but nobody wants to pay for pirated-quality book. Even using the latest tools, the cost to remake these products is enormous. Especially because of the instant feedback online. If there are many errors added to what were already poorly-written books, the bad feelings that generates leads to lower sales. The real question in recreating these is "how long until this item turns a profit?" For the cost of recreating, say, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, how many will have to be sold before the profits outweigh the cost. Now, how long will it take to sell that many copies? If they remake the base books but not the supporting books and modules, they have severely limited the draw of moving back to those editions. If they do remake all the products ever released before 3rd edition, how many YEARS until they are out of the red? This doesn't even get into the legal morass of ownership rights. Who, exactly, owns the rights to Shrine of the Kuo-Toa? We might think it's WotC, but we can't guess when the writer whose name is on the cover of the module can bring us to court.

The second thing not considered by the original poster is the supposed size of the market that will not change edition. There are holdouts. There will always be holdouts. What is the percentage, though? The original poster seems to feel that the holdouts number at something like 50%, but the original poster doesn't have that data. She is writing on a perception not supported by fact. The holdout number is probably less than 10% if the new edition is perceived as superior.

BTW, I've been playing through all editions since 1980. I have never been a holdout. I have run out and bought the latest edition as soon as possible, every time. I found that 4E was not to my taste and became one of the PF conversions, but that, too, shows my eagerness to switch to a superior edition. Being a long-term player does not equal holdout.

So I must strongly disagree that WotC would be better off as a print-on-demand company, ESPECIALLY in light of them being a division of a larger company. I am having severe doubts about 5E as an edition that I will want, but I don't have doubts that seeking a new, superior edition is the right path.

Libramarian

Adventurer
The author is a woman! I don't have anything else to add, and to be honest I didn't even read the whole blog post. It just bothers me how many people didn't pick up on this fact.

Remove ads