Dear Wizards of the Coast blog post...

Nellisir

Hero
Might he have been saying that it wouldn't take much effort for WotC to clean up the existing scans?
That's exactly what he might have been saying. In fact, it was what he was saying. Honestly, the idea that someone might go out and drop a few hundred on Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader, which is free, but Adobe Acrobat) just to fix up WotC's scans never even occurred to me.

Hussar

Legend
WotC pulled their catalog a number of years ago. I never looked at it much, and other people might not have gotten as far into the catalog as they thought they did. It's an understandable mistake.

Yeah, again, my bad. I really didn't think they got all that far into things. I hadn't realized that they outsourced it. Sorry, my totally bad. Learned new things though.

Empath Negative

First Post
Appeal to non-existent authority. Check.
Appeal to non-existent pity. Check.
Mistaking a torrent of verbiage for a capital truth. Check.

Mr. Blog Man is entirely correct that we have no reason to believe anything he claims as grounds for listening to him... which ends up being exactly why we shouldn't listen to him, because he certainly doesn't have a point based on logic, facts, or reason. Nice apophasis there.

Might of helped to read the article. She's not a man. In fact, she's a mother.

And, more importantly... she has a hell of a point.

I hate MMOs. As I hate hell. I hate Blizzard. I hate Blizzard-Activision. In fact, right about now I hate... yes "Hate" the gaming industry on the whole because they have ceased publishing games so much as they're looking to get us to download slot machines and put ducats into their pockets.

Take a good hard look at diablo 3 and tell me you don't see the slot machine basis. The game requires no cleverness, no insight, no character growth or meaningful discovery. Seriously compare the degree of discovery in Super Mario Bros. 3 to Diablo 3 and you will find Diablo 3 wanting.

Sometimes it seems the entire industyr has lost sight of why we play. We play because we want to grow. Not because we want to line some guys pockets. The arrogance of the gaming industry is staggering. And the whole rotten mess is coming down.

rounser

First Post
Sometimes it seems the entire industyr has lost sight of why we play. We play because we want to grow. Not because we want to line some guys pockets. The arrogance of the gaming industry is staggering. And the whole rotten mess is coming down.
What's happening there is happening to society as a whole. Globalization, the financial system, supermarket monopolies, real estate exploitation - everywhere you look there are vampires, plunderers and parasites, cynically acting in bad faith towards their customers and staff. I play games to escape this reality, full of vampires and exploiters, only now, as you point out, they're infiltrating favourite games.

Maybe D&D is too big a name to escape blood drain (e.g. online subscription model garbage). I doubt we are alone in the view that the escapism is becoming no escape at all.

Last edited:

This is an interesting assertion. Why do you think that, and do you have proof to support your position?

I don't know about proof but I seem to recall TSR had all kinds of problems trying to re-use a lot of the Stephen Fabian art in later Ravenloft products so I think they have had limited use of the images By some of their artists. these kinds of agreements can vary from contract to contract, sometimes publisher get the full rights to the art, sometimes there are limits. So it isn't completely out of the question that there could be copyright issues with any of the old books (even if WOTC owns the text). In fact, i believe many of the old tsr modules they had up on the wotc site during 3e were mostly just text with little to no art (but I could be remembering things incorrectly).

Nellisir

Hero
I don't know about proof ...
I asked for proof because he presented it more as a fact and less as an opinion. And the assertion wasn't specific to any one artist; it was TSR products in general and -particularly- the art. All of it.

He might be right. I think it would be odd, since TSR wasn't really shy with the lawyers and not locking down ownership seems rather unprofessional, but I'm not a RPG publishing company.

Remove ads