Death and Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manzanita

First Post
This was discussed in a judge thread as well, and no one volunteered to be the default DM for the ressurections trips. As such, I think our decision was that there would be no required RP for resurrections. As long as the cash is payed, you can be ressurected or raised on Orussus. There was no penalty outside the RAW.

My thought was that Joe would have a deal with the priests that they would allow the resurrected PC to owe the money back to the temple if the party could not provide it themselves. Thus everyone could get ressurected who wanted to. And being in debt could provide some interesting gaming in the future.

Knight Otu

First Post
Manzanita said:
This was discussed in a judge thread as well, and no one volunteered to be the default DM for the ressurections trips. As such, I think our decision was that there would be no required RP for resurrections. As long as the cash is payed, you can be ressurected or raised on Orussus. There was no penalty outside the RAW.

Obviously, I disagree. Just because there is no default DM for that (and that could be kind of dangerous, anyway) doesn't mean we should abandon this idea. Actually, if I recall correctly, the discussion led to this proposal.

Manzanita

First Post
If someone is going to DM a resurection thread, they need to have a vision. Those that follow will probably use a similar script. If someone has that vision, then speak up. Otherwise, I don't think it should have to be a quest. I think that person would need to be willing to do it when needed as well. It shouldn't be the default responsibility of the DM who was in charge of the adventure when the PC died. If a PC dies mid-adventure, the rest of the PCs might well want to bag the adventure until they get their companion raised. If this requires a time-consuming quest in itself, this could be quite disruptive for the DM of the original adventure.

I don't really see the point of having to have it as a DMed adventure. Few adventuring parties have the financial resources to fund a ressurection. Thus going into debt to fund it is a sacrifice in itself. And would lead to some interesting decisions by the party.

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
I don't really see the point of having to have it as a DMed adventure.

The point is it should feel like the wondrous and momentous event that it really is. Merely making a few adjustments on the character sheet doesn't do that.

Manzanita said:
Few adventuring parties have the financial resources to fund a ressurection. Thus going into debt to fund it is a sacrifice in itself. And would lead to some interesting decisions by the party.

Raise Dead is 5000 GP + spellcaster's fees; Resurrection is 10,000 GP + spellcaster's fees. The price for a single medium magical item. Sure, you can have interesting negotiations about just what possessions to give up to finance the ceremony, but if the deceased has, say, a cape of the mountebank, the survivors can sell it (after all, without the raising the character wouldn't have any use for the cape anyway) at half price and use that. In the end, for a high-level character, that's just a trade. It's more significant for a lower-level character, but we're designing rules that will apply to everyone.

Patlin

Explorer
Just to be clear, nothing in the rules would prohibit me (save possibly a Judge veto) from including a scroll or something else capable of restoring the dead to life as part of the treasure for an adventure, correct? While a world-based solution is under discussion, normal use of the rules as written is still a viable alternative, right?

RillianPA

First Post
orsal said:
The point is it should feel like the wondrous and momentous event that it really is. Merely making a few adjustments on the character sheet doesn't do that.

I disagree. Death in Living Enworld is far too likely to be random (For example, I did a little calculation and concluded that a 5th level wizard with a Con of 16 could be oneshot killed by a crit from a 1st lvl barbarian with a greatsword). Res'ing should be relatively simple to allow continuity of characters.

But there is another issue. As players and DMs we are forming a community. Each of us brings different styles and philosophies of gaming with us. Some DMs may be what I call "killer DMs" meaning that they tend to kill off characters on a regular basis (even every session). Some may be soft touches that almost never kill a character. Players may prefer either or something in between. I think that it is important that if a player happens upon a DM who runs a more deadly style of campaign, that it be relatively easy and painless to res his character. If he prefers that his character stay dead...then he can take the option of keeping it dead.

I think that the idea of rping out the resing is interesting, however, it requires a significant amount of effort by a number of people who may have nothing to do with the character ever again. Most importantly, it is something the player of the char to be raised CANNOT be involved in, since his character is dead. Any ruleset we adopt should certainly allow full involvment of the player whose character is dead.

azmodean

First Post
I don't see anything prohibiting that, subject to judge approval, however IMO, it's an item that shouldn't be showing up as treasure for anything less than an el10 encounter, and even then it's going to be the bulk of the treasure recieved.

Also, if you include a scroll as treasure because someone specifically needs it, then it starts to look like circumvention of rules.

Concerning a lvl 5 wizard being killed by a lvl 1 barbarian. That isn't a random situation. A wizard shouldn't be adjacent to an armed barbarian without significant magical protections up at any level. If he is, he or his party are doing something seriously wrong. This is precisely why I think it shouldn't be easy to bring back the dead. If you know that your character won't be coming back if you make bad decisions, then it encourages you to be realistically careful.

Concerning the large hassle of having an adventure just to have someone brought back to life, there is a very simple alternative, making a new character. It's not like a player of a dead character is penalized in any way aside from losing the character, they are still free to play their other characters and to make a new character to replace the old one. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing said player to play a new character specifically created for the purpose of a ressurection quest who is retired when the original character returns from the dead(keeping the items/wealth of the two characters seperate of course).

Last edited:

RillianPA

First Post
azmodean said:
Concerning a lvl 5 wizard being killed by a lvl 1 barbarian. That isn't a random situation. A wizard shouldn't be adjacent to an armed barbarian without significant magical protections up at any level. If he is, he or his party are doing something seriously wrong. This is precisely why I think it shouldn't be easy to bring back the dead. If you know that your character won't be coming back if you make bad decisions, then it encourages you to be realistically careful.

Concerning the large hassle of having an adventure just to have someone brought back to life, there is a very simple alternative, making a new character. It's not like a player of a dead character is penalized in any way aside from losing the character, they are still free to play their other characters and to make a new character to replace the old one. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing said player to play a new character specifically created for the purpose of a ressurection quest who is retired when the original character returns from the dead(keeping the items/wealth of the two characters seperate of course).

Well, I dont think you are being reasonable. I can think of a large number of ways that a 5th level wizard could, through no fault of his own, end up in melee with a 1st level barbarian. In fact, something very like that happened in the game we are both currently in, when a unknown bunch of orc barbarians suddenly appeared, surrounding the party, after we had expended much of our resources on another combat. Player stupidity may kill characters (and I tend to think this is deserved), but DMs can too.

You totally ignored the point of my last paragraph. The person whose character died is not the person who must go through the hassle. OTHER people would be required to do an adventure to res the character. I would also say, as an aside, that losing your character is not a simple alternative. For people who become invested in their characters, it is the kind of thing that drives them away, and makes them not want to play, especially if the player perceives the death to be unwarranted (like the 5th level wizard).

Since some DMs are more likely to create situations in which characters die than other DMs, I think we need to have a reasonably painless way for a person to revive a favorite character. Otherwise, you will find people starting to avoid certain DMs, and other DMs having far too many applicants, as people learn what kind of game each DM favors.

The RPGA, for example, deals with this by only allowing official adventures. While that allows the DM some latitude, the encounters are still predefined, and there is a judge and appeal process, in case a DM really steps out of context. Since we dont have that kind of rigidity (and I, for one, am glad that we dont), we need to be more flexible about the consequences.

Last edited:

El Jefe

First Post
azmodean said:
Did you ever say a mouthful there.

First, I disagree that there is no player penalty when a character dies. The planning and development of that character is essentially lost. The player is left with the possibility of either regenerating the same character with a different name, which is somewhat less than appealing, or abandoning what might have been a promising character concept, one the player was interested in exploring.

Also, if there is sufficient mortality in a setting, and if res is sufficiently hard enough to find, that effectively acts as a level cap to the setting. Anyone who played 1st edition with DMs who scrupulously followed Gary Gygax's rules for risk vs. reward probably remembers rolling up a lot of new characters. And, while playing low level characters can be fun, a steady diet of it gets monotonous. Living ENWorld has been around for almost 2 years, and there are still fewer 5th level characters than you have fingers on one hand. If we couple slow advancement with difficult resurrection, then eventually Living ENWorld will be a character-dominated world...by the few lucky characters who make it to high level!

Now, you do have an interesting idea, that of allowing a "resurrection" character. It does get the burden of doing the res off of the players who's characters didn't die. But I'd think we'd need a bunch of rules for rolling up that character and making sure it had the resources available for the res.

I'd also like to introduce the concept of goodwill. It's hard to imagine a group of good-aligned characters who had the resources failing to revive a good-aligned fellow adventurer who had fallen defending them bravely. Likewise, it's hard to imagine a band of orcs going to any great trouble to revive a slain member of their troop. I'd expect both party dynamics and available (or likely) resources would play heavily into any res decisions, quite independently of the fallen character. In that sense, getting a free res would be the reward for playing a character well right up to the end (presuming that wasn't a well played evil character), and sitting out the adventure in which your character was raised would be the penalty for dying in the first place. Intrinsically, that seems fairer to me. What would be in it for the party? Well, would Thorax the Ranger ever want to adventure with Cephalapod the Paladin again? If he does, he'd better drag Ceph's dead butt to one of Spires, or else forego that planned trip to the planes while instead spending a few "easy" adventures bringing Newbie the Bard up to a level where Newbie can survive the challenge. That's the tradeoff.

If I'm not being clear, let me finish by saying that I think that death needs to be rare but not too rare, and resurrection likewise. If our characters never face a challenge, then we need to leave munchkin land, and if they're dropping like flies, then there's not much point in developing a character. And if res is too easy, ENWorld becomes just another MMORG, only without the fancy graphics. My vote is for somewhere between all the extremes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads