Death of a Computer

Shayuri

First Post
It does the hardware check. I can see the CDROM's light flicker, and the keyboard's lights flicker. I can hear the hard drive spool. The power works.

But there's no video signal to the monitor (I checked the monitor on another computer, it works fine), and there's no windows startup sound.

I don't -think- it's just a video problem, since I did hook up external speakers and tried to get it to start windows "blind" with no success.

Dunno.

Still, as has been said, at least I can get it started with some patience. For now.

Shayuri

First Post
Nah, it's not necessary. Worst comes to worst, I can buy a new compy. This one's nearly 3 years old.

But I think it's still working well enough to keep for awhile.

Thanks though!

Scotley

Hero
It does the hardware check. I can see the CDROM's light flicker, and the keyboard's lights flicker. I can hear the hard drive spool. The power works.

But there's no video signal to the monitor (I checked the monitor on another computer, it works fine), and there's no windows startup sound.

I don't -think- it's just a video problem, since I did hook up external speakers and tried to get it to start windows "blind" with no success.

Dunno.

Still, as has been said, at least I can get it started with some patience. For now.

Hmmm, that is interesting. It begins to sound more like a software problem, but that doesn't jibe with the jiggly wire bit. I'd want to try some different drive cables. Otherwise, I guess it would have to be at the motherboard level since you should get some sort of prompt from the board before you access a drive and start into windows. 3 year old computer--do you know if you have built in graphics or a video card? Might be there, could be memory, but I doubt it. If your board has a slot for it you can bypass built in video and drop in a vid card, but only if you have a slot. If there is already a video card you could swap it and see if a different one works. Unfortunately, it sounds like the break down is coming even earlier which may mean you need a new board. A motherboard swap is not for sissies, but it isn't brain surgery either. At that point though you are looking at maybe a $100 bucks in parts and a days investment in learning and implementation at the risk of still not getting it working. You are right at the break point of just buying a new machine.

Scotley

Hero
sounded like that was fun to find!

Well, I have to admit I took a certain perverse pleasure in waggling the disconnected ends of the cord at the people who had been trying to get it working. Once in a while it is good for the boss to remind folks why he is in charge. :)

I spend my days managing people who provide residential services to adults who are both developmentally disabled and mentally ill. Sometimes it is a very nice change of pace to tinker with computers, which follow nice simple logical rules. Unlike the people I deal with all day, especially the ones at the state government who pay the bills.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
people ? logical?? Ha! i turned down a supervisory position at the factory because i would have to deal wioth people like me!

Remove ads