Death of a Computer

Shayuri

First Post
My computer died last night apparently, while I slumbered. Did I twitch in the night when it passed? Mutter some incoherent, sleep-addled plea to stay with me? That our time together was too brief...too brief?

I can only imagine it was so.

What does this mean? My posting schedule will be impacted. I can only post from places where I'm not really supposed to be posting from now. I will try to keep threads moving as fast as I can. If I am too slow, please feel free to NPC my characters, or simply 'edit past' the scene my absence is ruining.

I'll get this fixed as soon as I can. I'm not enjoying it either.

Thanks.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
funny thing: I am listening to some Earl King Blues while i read this. Have a drink, Shai (Of coffee, of course). That should help with the withdrawls.

Scotley

Hero
Never a good thing, let me know if I can lend any advice. I have some experience with raising dead machines. Good luck with it.

Shayuri

First Post
I've managed to revive it as a kind of zombie computer.

My method is not science, but magic however.

I opened it up. I wiggled the wires inside. I closed it. It worked.

The limit to this method is that I have to do it -every time- I want to start it. Several times. Clearly there's some jigger in there that isn't connected well or something, but I've no idea what.

In any event, it's annoying, but it's a workaround for now. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I've managed to revive it as a kind of zombie computer.

My method is not science, but magic however.

I opened it up. I wiggled the wires inside. I closed it. It worked.

The limit to this method is that I have to do it -every time- I want to start it. Several times. Clearly there's some jigger in there that isn't connected well or something, but I've no idea what.

In any event, it's annoying, but it's a workaround for now. :)

so, not the thingy or the thinga-ma-jigger, but the the jigger. Right?

I really would have thought it to be the whosawhatsit.

Scotley

Hero
That sort of problem can be really tricky to sort out. At least you've got some functionality. You could try cleaning and re-seating all the connections to the motherboard. If it is a short in a particular wire or cable that can be more challenging. In the old days it was often a particular card that failed and you could pull them one at a time, but now most functions are built in to the board.

When it isn't working how far into the process does it get before it stops? Does it beep or flash or anything or is it stone dead? If it is dead I'd be looking at the power-supply, power-on switch and main power-cables. If it is later in the process then you want to look to the video card, a drive or drive cable or a lesser power-cable. If it is stone dead don't forget to make sure your power socket at the wall or a power strip isn't the culprit.

Believe it or not I actually enjoy sorting out such problems. I wish I were there to sort it out. I solved a nagging network printer problem at my office today when we had re-booted the printer and the computer, checked the drivers tried various useless windows trouble shooters. When everyone had given up I started tracing the USB cable from the machine that was sharing the printer to the printer and discovered that the usb extension cable had become unhooked behind a file cabinet. Problem solved.

Anyway, Good Luck.

Remove ads