D&D (2024) Deborah Ann Woll and Matt Mercer consulted on the 2024 DMG.

What the headline says. That's it; that's the news! Click if you like, but that's all it is!

WotC consulted with celebrities including True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Matt Mercer when revising the upcoming 2024 edition of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Apparently another (unnamed) consultant provided advice on running game for kids.

That's it; that's the news.

Retros_x

Explorer
Let me just tag onto this: I've seen examples of how both of them DM and they do a great job. I just don't get the notion that somehow the fact that they're actors makes what they do unapproachable. I mean acting is something you can both be talented at and a skill you can learn. BUT, it amazes me that somehow they won't have something to teach about running a game. Talking about improv, for instance, is a skill anyone can learn, and will make you a better DM.

I have a couple of friends who are actors and they'd laugh out loud if you told them they had some special skills that only people like them could do. Watch some of Ann or Matt's videos and you'll get an idea of how they do things. And I suspect you'll get some things about how you can be a better DM. Or you might see some things to cement what you would never do as a DM.
Its clear they got hired - yes because they are famous - but definitely also because they are obviously very experienced DMs and in the case of Matt Mercer also published quite successfully 5e books. But in the mind of some people ambiguity doesn't exist and they can't fathom that both is true and that its fine, no its immediately the evil greedy WotC and the PHB will suffer because of that! Its such a weird take, but its almost a pavlovian reflex at this point.

Clint_L

Hero
Its clear they got hired - yes because they are famous - but definitely also because they are obviously very experienced DMs and in the case of Matt Mercer also published quite successfully 5e books. But in the mind of some people ambiguity doesn't exist and they can't fathom that both is true and that is fine, no its immediately the evil greedy WotC and the PHB will suffer because of that! Its such a weird take, but its almost a pavlovian reflex at this point.
There are a number of people who mostly seem to enjoy posting on this forum to take shots at D&D, 5e, WotC, streaming shows, or modernity in general. It seems like a depressing hobby, but to each their own.

I'm a huge fan of Explorer's Guide to Wildemount - I think it's the best 5e sourcebook and has more in common with traditional D&D settings like Greyhawk than you might expect. Which tracks, because Mercer has been playing D&D and building his own campaign settings for decades. So I am delighted that he has been consulting on the DMG, since it will include campaign setting material, and there is a high likelihood that it will be Greyhawk.

In particular, EGtW includes 4 really great starter campaigns for levels 1-3, each in a distinct setting, and that is exactly the kind of thing that I would like to see in the DMG.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think and hope thier contributions will be great.
I really would be surprised if we ever find out or notice their contributions. My impression, is that consultants, as used in this context by WoTC are some they bring in bounce ideas off and get feedback from before they start iterating toward the final forms. In other words, brainstorming.

Arilyn

Hero
I really would be surprised if we ever find out or notice their contributions. My impression, is that consultants, as used in this context by WoTC are some they bring in bounce ideas off and get feedback from before they start iterating toward the final forms. In other words, brainstorming.
Yep. We don't know any past consultants' contributions. We often don't even notice they were there. Tiny line on copyright page. Their voice will not affect the direction of game.

darjr

I crit!

Yep. We don't know any past consultants' contributions. We often don't even notice they were there. Tiny line on copyright page. Their voice will not affect the direction of game.
I noticed things. Been a while since I considered it.

I do agree it’s a subtle thing.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
We know John Francis Daley's contributions to Rime. We know the Adventure Time guy's contributions to Tomb. Ajit George's work on Ravenloft, etc, etc.

I expect we'll find out.

Remove ads

Remove ads