• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defenders that actually defend

ENVY!!!

My barbarian got dropped twice in the last game. Our two defenders can't get their act together. One is, granted, the DM's kid and doesn't have enough attention span to remember to mark anything. The other is older than dirt and can't be troubled to read the PHB enough to understand how fighters work.
I don't believe you. diaglo would never play 4E D&D.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
ENVY!!!

My barbarian got dropped twice in the last game. Our two defenders can't get their act together. One is, granted, the DM's kid and doesn't have enough attention span to remember to mark anything. The other is older than dirt and can't be troubled to read the PHB enough to understand how fighters work.

One thing that I found handy, at least for Fighters, is to let my DM know that I'm essentially marking anything I attack unless I say otherwise. Since their marks don't require an action to use, this works out well.

As for the guy that didn't read the PHB at all, that's a bit more difficult. I don't know how your group is at the table, but at least at my table I try to be aware of the basic mechanics and powers of other players, and sometimes gently remind the less experienced players (or ones who didn't properly read the PHB's) when they're forgetting about a class feature or something. Just something simple like saying to the Warden "Hey, you gonna mark anyone?" when he's finished his turn usually suffices.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Swordmages definitely have one thing in common - they better do not engage the target they mark.

That wasn't my experience. I played an assault swordmage in a 5 person party with a rage-fighter, laser-cleric, tac-warlord and cha-rogue. In my experience, the fighter was able to lock down most of the enemy front line, while I teleported behind the enemy line and locked down their controllers/artillery. Sure, it usually took me a while to take them down, but preventing the bads from getting their AoE effects off was a huge advantage.

-KS

Kestrel

Explorer
So, what happens when a soldier engages the tank and they're in mutual lockdown? All the other monsters skirt the tank.

Well....yeah. Exactly. That's why I'm trying to get past this point where we're talking about combat/divine challenge like they cover all the bases.

Well, I know for my paladin, he uses Vengeful Vigilance (10th level Stance) that allows him to free action Challenge anyone that attacks someone else within 5 squares. I'm 11th, so my challenge does 11pts when it goes off, +6 if they are bloodied (Turathi Frenzy, he's Turathi Highborn). 17pts isn't anything to sneeze at.

The rest of the group has a lot to do with this too. If they go running off beyond 5 squares and start whining they are getting pounded, its their own fault. They know how my challenge/sanction works, so they have to stay close. (Its not an issue for the rogue, we're a killing team)

*Edit: Well, crap...i posted too soon and didnt read the following pages

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
I'm playing a high Cha/Wis Kalashatar Hospitaler, and the divine challenge effect is pretty fantastic. It's nearly impossible for enemies to hurt my allies if they ignore me, and entirely possible that they'll get healed instead. One skeleton last session attacked the sorcerer 4 times instead of me, and took 18 radiant damage for the trouble plus healed him for 40, dealing only 26 damage.

Even with the errata I'm still pretty happy (since it still triggers more than once a round). I've started to run into opponents who have the ability to get out of my mark and I'm sure I'll likewise start seeing more area attacks now, but all and all he's a very effective defender.

Basically I choose one target, and that target can not attack other party members for damage. Most of my powers are about hindering attacks or dealing with large groups (Astral Thunder, Hallowed Circle, Righteous Smite). He lacks some on the the mobility and threat that our two-weapon fighter was able to put on the bad guys, but on a whole he's very effective.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads