Defense against Shadow Dancers Shadow !!

Crothian

First Post
Okay, I was thinking that the not being turned was an effect of the alignment, not part of the special power. So, ya, anything that effects summoning creatures should work here.

jontherev

First Post
A simple Protection from Law/Chaos would work, depending on his alignment. If he's actually True Neutral, create a Protection from Neutral spell. The appropriate Protection spell does this:

"Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned or conjured creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good elementals and outsiders are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned or conjured creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature."

Rashak Mani

First Post
Prot from any alignment summoning is your understanding of it ?

I think the shadowdancer is true neutral... darn She probably choose to be so in order to avoid any Prot from X spells...

Last edited:

Chronosome

First Post
Don't forget good ol' magic missile. It's a force spell, so it
automatically strikes the shadow, regardless of its incorporeality...

Fire a few of those, and the shadowdancer'll pull that shadow out quick.

I speak from experience, BTW. :)

Geoff Watson

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Prot from any alignment summoning is your understanding of it ?

I think the shadowdancer is true neutral... darn She probably choose to be so in order to avoid any Prot from X spells...

Prot Evil also prevents Neutral summoned/called creatures from touching the subject, as well as Evil. The other Prot Align spells don't.

Geoff.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Halt Undead will stop the shadow in its tracks.
Holy Word, Blasphemy, Dictum, Word of Chaos will also damage or destroy true neutral characters so any high level divine spellcaster can hose the whole party and the shadow at the same time with these.
Holy Smite, Unholy Blight, Chaos Hammer, Order's Wrath all deal damage to neutrals too (although less than to characters with more extreme alignments).

High level spells like Sunburst and Sunbeam will also take out the Shadow and the party at once.

For simple protection though, I'd go with Protection From Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil or Invisibility to Undead. All of those would make the shadow ineffective without killing it.

melkoriii

First Post
I would go with the PoE that stops summoned from touching you. Then use a evil useable only wand/ring whatever of Searing Light. 1d6/lvl (Magic) damage to undead ranged touch attack.

Archer

First Post
Shadowdancer's shadows are neither summoned nor conjured. They are the same as the wizard's familiar and the paladin's mount.

Sunburst and sunbeam are my votes for best offense. Protection from negative energy is another defense. Ghost touch weapons will let a fighter quickly dispatch a shadow.

Astlin

First Post
Hmm, the good old Antimagic Field will do the trick.

As incorporeal undead they will 'wink out' in an antimagic field and reappear once the field goes away. PH pg175

Astlin

Remove ads