Defense against Shadow Dancers Shadow !!

jontherev

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
So you are interpreting a spell by using the definition of another spell?

:rolleyes:

Protection from evil is the original spell, the one with the full description. It's the one we are supposed to refer to when interpreting the other protection spell, not the other way around.

Yes, and you are doing the same thing.:rolleyes: ALL the other protection spells counter what was in the PfEvil spell. They explicitly state something different than what you are implying from the original spell. And again, how can you justify a Protection from evil spell working against a good summoned creature (non-elemental/outsider)? That seems like a mistake to me. It simply doesn't make any logical sense at all. Once again:

"As protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks from good creatures, and good summoned or conjured creatures cannot touch the subject."

This tells me that PfGood works JUST like PfEvil except vs. GOOD summoned creatures. And since it works JUST like PfEvil, then PfE should work against EVIL summoned creatures. Gee, a Protection from Evil spell that works only against evil...I must be insane to think that!:D

This may be 'working backwards' logic, but to me it makes much more sense. In order for you to continue your argument, you have to ignore what all the other protection spells say and also the fact that a GOOD spell should not be protecting vs. GOOD.

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
So Neutrally summoned Creatures cant be stopped by anything in the current spellbook lists... sound silly I would interpret all summoned are stopped.

jontherev

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
So Neutrally summoned Creatures cant be stopped by anything in the current spellbook lists... sound silly I would interpret all summoned are stopped.

I just think it is confusing, given what the other spells say. I think neutral creatures should get blocked, but not opposite aligned creatures. Example...A giant Eagle (Chaotic Good) should NOT be blocked by a Protection from Evil spell. That just seems like common sense to me, no offense meant to anyone who disagrees.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
jontherev said:
Yes, and you are doing the same thing.:rolleyes: ALL the other protection spells counter what was in the PfEvil spell.

Of course they do. They are copy/pasted with a few key alignment word changed. If there is a mistake in there, it'll be multiplied over all the spells using the same wording.

And even if you assume that protection from evil isn't supposed to prevent bodily contact from any good summoned creature instead of just good outsiders and elementals, it still clearly prevents bodily contact from a neutral summoned creature, which is the point of this thread:

Protection from evil (or any other protection spell for that matter) prevents a neutral summoned shadow from touching the protected character.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:

Of course they do. They are copy/pasted with a few key alignment word changed. If there is a mistake in there, it'll be multiplied over all the spells using the same wording.

And even if you assume that protection from evil isn't supposed to prevent bodily contact from any good summoned creature instead of just good outsiders and elementals, it still clearly prevents bodily contact from a neutral summoned creature, which is the point of this thread:

Protection from evil (or any other protection spell for that matter) prevents a neutral summoned shadow from touching the protected character.

AGREED!:D

Remove ads