D&D 3E/3.5 Deflect Arrow in 3.5

DonAdam

Explorer
I don't like the automatic either, but the reflex save was too hard.

I use an opposed attack roll.

I'm considering calling it an attack of opportunity, but that might be a little much for high-dex monks with combat reflexes.

Pagan priest

First Post
I must admit that I wish that Combat Reflexes could be used to deflect more arrows in a round.

I also find that I disagree with the requirement that you need an open hand to use Deflect Arrow. Wuxia has many examples of martial arts types using various weapons to deflect incoming arrows, often several in very short order... certainly more than one per round! It seems more appropriate to allow a monk to use any weapon useable with flurry of blows to deflect.

Angcuru

First Post
I completely disagree with any sort of auto arrow deflection.

Imagine the following scenario:

Dingbat, a LVL 2 monk fresh out of the monestary is walking down a dirt path. For no apparent reason, Deatheye, the 100th level(it's possible) Fighter specializing solely in archery fires an arrow at his head. Let's assume full attack bonus of something like +150...and Dingbat deflects the arrow. PBBTHHHHTTT!!! Idoicy.

There should be no auto-anything in D&D when it comes to stuff like this. I say the monk should be forced to make opposed attack roles, and that's that, no matter what he's up against.

Last edited:

Rozman

First Post
For what it's worth:

Off a looong thread of clarifications, hints and such at WotC, "Andy" (don't know his full name, but he was a WotC staffer) posted this rationale for the rewrite of Deflect Arrows:

a) It makes low-level monks more survivable.
b) It was already pretty automatic at high levels; no roll = time saved.

hong

WotC's bitch
Pagan priest said:

I also find that I disagree with the requirement that you need an open hand to use Deflect Arrow. Wuxia has many examples of martial arts types using various weapons to deflect incoming arrows, often several in very short order... certainly more than one per round! It seems more appropriate to allow a monk to use any weapon useable with flurry of blows to deflect.

I think _Hero_ has the most outrageous example of martial artists deflecting an arrow barrage that I've ever seen. It's great.

Branduil

Hero
Suggested houserule of Deflect Arrows:

Pre-reqs: Same.

This feat allows you to deflect arrows and eventually snatch them(note that this houserule eliminates the snatch arrows feat).

Once per round you can attempt to deflect a successful ranged attack. To deflect the attack, make a Reflex Save. The DC is 15+the amount the attack beat your AC by. (So let's say Deatheye shoots at Dingbat and rolls a 200 to beat Dingbat's AC of 15. 200-15= 185. Reflex Save= 15+185=200. So Dingbat had better hope he rolls a 20 if he wants to make his DC 200 Reflex Save).

You can also attempt to snatch arrows, if you have at least one free hand. The DC is 20+the amount the attack beat your AC by. If you succeed, you have snatched the arrow. If you have the appropriate weapon in your other hand, and if there is no required reloading actions, you may immediately fire back the projectile as a free action.

--------

There, now Deflect arrows isn't pointless, but it also doesn't make the skill of the attacker irrelevent.

Tellerve

As I still don't mind the block auto I'll just post another idea to feed the masses. BTW, I'm also in the camp where I don't think he needs a hand free, but whatever.

For the multiple blocks I always thought it would be neat if, a) went offa AoO attempts from Combat Reflexes and the DC went up by 4 or so per attempt, maybe 5. The old dc was 20 right? So anyways, 20, 25, 30, obviously :)

Shrugs, I'm sure people won't like that idea but I wanted it the minute I saw deflect arrows several years ago.

Tellerve

Darklone

LOL.

Tellerve, please have a look at the post above made by Yours Truly with houserule alert...

You will find that reading posts before answering may help. ;)

quoting myself... how puny:
Houserule alert:
Change the deflect arrows back to DC20 (+x for magic). Add +5 for consecutive attacks (DC 25+x for the second arrow, DC30 for the third). Each deflect attempt wastes an AoO.

Last edited:

Remove ads