Degrading weapons / breakage

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Your mission (should you choose to accept it): design a module for weapon breakage or degrading. I want to run a game that regularly rewards PCs with cash, so I need reasons for them to regularly spend their cash. One of these: weapon damage. I don't know what weapon improving (ala Oblivion) should be a thing, but sharpening makes sense.

Some helpful tidbits:
  • Attack rolls are on a d20.
  • Most weapons do one die of damage.
  • Most armor types do one die of protection (damage reduction).
  • Most characters have between 10-30 health.
  • There's only one weapon skill (Armed). But PCs can specialize with a weapon by dedicating a perk to it, increasing damage.
  • Magic weapons are available, but must either be found or sold under market conditions.

Wicht

Hero
The most annoying thing about Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which is one of my most favoritist video games ever, is the way weapons constantly break.

That being said, if you want a simple little system:
-On the roll of a 1, a normal weapon is dulled and gains a "-1" attribute to the damage dice representing it has been dulled. At this stage, sharpening the weapon will restore it.
-On a roll of a 1, a dulled weapon becomes broken and does half damage. At this stage the weapon must be repaired, which cost half its base cost, in order to restore it to full working order.
-On a roll of a 1, a broken weapon shatters. A shattered weapon can only ever do 1 point of damage if used to attack. At this stage the weapon must be replaced, or the full base cost must be paid to a smith in order to restore it.

aramis erak

Legend
Equally simple, I think...
  1. If to-hit is nat 1...
  2. 1d20 >= Damage Die Maximum to avoid reducing damage
    1. On fail, step damage down 1 dice size
    2. on success, no reduction
  3. if die reduced below 1d3. destroyed.
Step 2.0 is all about not replicating TLoZ:BotW's excesses. To further remove make step2.0 opposed roll of d20 vs damage die.

As an option, if proficient with weapon, roll step 2 with advantage

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The most annoying thing about Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which is one of my most favoritist video games ever, is the way weapons constantly break.
Well, they couldn't make it too good, could they? 🤓
It does make sense. Weapons are regularly thrust against other weapons and armor (designed to thwart those weapons). By the way, Netflix played a Knight's Tale clip for me. Swords slashing against plate. Cringeworthy.
That being said, if you want a simple little system:
-On the roll of a 1...
Damage die 1 or attack die 1? Or confirmation die 1, which I think aramis brings up...? I guess damage die 1 would make d4 daggers pretty fragile, and d12 orkish razor-axes exceptionally sturdy.

1. On fail, step damage down 1 dice size
    2. on success, no reduction
  • if die reduced below 1d3. destroyed.
This calls to me right away, since doing more damage usually means using a higher die. Breakage would need to happen before d3 though, because there's no point in using your backup dagger if your busted-up orkish razor-axe still does d6 damage.

As an option, if proficient with weapon, roll step 2 with advantage
I was already concerned with having to roll one extra die!

Wicht

Hero
Damage die 1 or attack die 1? Or confirmation die 1, which I think aramis brings up...?

Attack die 1. That gives a 1 in 20 chance of the weapon downgrading. Confirmation rolls would make it 1 in 400. If you want it to be more common then you want the more likely chance.

It would be easy enough to implement. On your character sheets, each weapon would be given three boxes to check as the damage to the weapon progressed. If it was repaired, the checks would be cleared.

You could also give some weapons, like maces or clubs the "never dulled" ability. They would still get a first check, but it would not affect damage. Quality weapons could be given an extra check box before the dulled check box to show they keep their edges longer.

On the other side of the attack, if I was using this system, I would do something similar with armors. On an attack roll of 20, the armor is downgraded 1, with effects similar to what happens to weapons (since you are giving armors a damage reduction roll).

You can then take it a step further. Metal armors are twice as likely to dull bladed weapons (attack roll of 1 or 2). Battle-axes and great-weapons are twice as likely to break armor (attack roll of 19 or 20).

the Jester

Legend
Here's my basic system for wear and tear: Wear Points.

If an item gets 1 wear point (WP), it suffers cosmetic effects. Maybe your armor is dented and dinged, maybe your cloak is faded and worn.

With a second WP, the item takes a -1 where appropriate; all those holes in your chain mail means it gives you an AC 15 instead of 16, or your backpack is starting to get holes and tears, making it easier for someone to pick your pocket.

A third WP destroys the item.

Typically, a magic item can sustain 1 additional WP without suffering more than cosmetic damage. Some especially high quality goods, or those made of exceptional materials, might also have a "cushion" of one or more WPs that remain at the "cosmetic damage" level.

If something isn't too far gone you can probably get it repaired.

Now, when do you get wear points? Well, they replace things like a rust monster's or gray ooze's equipment damaging effects. They also come from simple use. Periodically, at the start or end of a session, I'll say, "Okay everyone, choose an item you have used since the last time we did this and put a wear point on it." Sometimes, it's more like "distribute 3 wear points on items you've used since last time we did this."

You can also add wear points as a result of natural 1s on rolls, exposure to especially harsh environments, etc. "You've been walking through the razor rocks of Hadra for two days, everyone put a wear point on your footwear, your cloak, and one other item that is exposed to bumps and scrapes."

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I want to try this system, which bears resemblance to the above suggestions:

• Weapons and armor each have a damage/protection die.
  • On a 1, the item suffers damage, and its die type degrades to the next smaller die.
  • After another 1, the item is "broken" and its die type becomes d4.
  • Repairs can restore a damaged item to full capability.
  • Rolling max damage awards another die of damage, max protection reduces damage to zero (normally minimum 1).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases