• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Design Debate: 13th-level PCs vs. 6- to 8-Encounter Adventuring Day

You can only ready an action during the turn by turn combat sequence (after the DM has called for initiative). So no readying.

Maybe at your table you require one of the PCs to punch the other in the face before they can ready themselves for action. I suppose that means you wouldn't let a sprinter start running as soon as they heard the starting signal, either.

At my table it works a little more seamlessly because having combat be modally distinct from the rest of life is absurd.

True sight works in the demi-plane.

Does rarys let you transmit images, or just words?

The spell lets you "communicate telepathically" through the bond, without requiring a shared language, but it only works for creatures with Int 3+.

That seems like a pretty strong indication that images are not transmitted, only concepts.

Maybe at your table you require one of the PCs to punch the other in the face before they can ready themselves for action. I suppose that means you wouldn't let a sprinter start running as soon as they heard the starting signal, either.

At my table it works a little more seamlessly because having combat be modally distinct from the rest of life is absurd.

You cant ready outside of the DM declaring initiative because otherwise the PCs (and every other inhabitant in the world) would simply walk around with readied actions and the whole initiatitve sequence becomes meaningless.

I'm aware your wizard wants to ready a spell. On turn 1 of the combat he can cast it as fast as he can, depending on how fast he can react to the threat around him. Its called an initiatve check.

If you dont like this, then assume the following is in effect: 'All monsters in the campaign world that are or could be potentially hostile to the PCs (DMs call) as one all ready the following action: As soon as they detect the PCs (but before rolling initiative, and before any PC actions are declared or resolved, readied or otherwise) they will all attack the PCs with their best available attack, with a preference for wizards with readied actions'.

Get it yet? This is the assumed state of affairs. Everyone (barring surprised creatures) enter combat on the ready. Who goes first is determined via initiative.

When the gun goes off, initiative determines who goes first. Its a dex check to test reaction speed and reflexes to react to a stimuli.

Now please leave this thread. Youre adding nothing with your constant obnoxious comments. Discussion is fine, but youre adding nothing but challenging rulings. My game, my rulings. No arguments allowed.

Thanks.

BoldItalic

First Post
True sight works in the demi-plane.
Okay, good.

Does rarys let you transmit images, or just words?

It doesn't really say. The text is "the targets can communicate telepathically through the bond whether or not they have a common language"

I think, in telepathic folklore, images can be transmitted and books on "how to do telepathy" seem to suggest trying to project an image, possibly accompanied by words. For example, http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Telepathy

I did once take part in a real telepathy experiment and successfully received a verbal phrase accompanied by an image. The phrase was clear but the image was oddly small and far away and made no sense until afterwards. At the time, I mistook what the image represented. So in my experience, images are possible but unreliable.

I guess it's DM's call whether or not pictures are possible. If you rule not, the wizard can describe what he sees in a terse sentence or two, although he could do that in ordinary speech anyway without needing the bond. I was thinking that the bond ought to confer some benefit, but not as great as effectively granting truesight to everyone.

Tricky stuff, magic :-S

Okay, good.

It doesn't really say. The text is "the targets can communicate telepathically through the bond whether or not they have a common language"

I think, in telepathic folklore, images can be transmitted and books on "how to do telepathy" seem to suggest trying to project an image, possibly accompanied by words. For example, http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Telepathy

I did once take part in a real telepathy experiment and successfully received a verbal phrase accompanied by an image. The phrase was clear but the image was oddly small and far away and made no sense until afterwards. At the time, I mistook what the image represented. So in my experience, images are possible but unreliable.

I guess it's DM's call whether or not pictures are possible. If you rule not, the wizard can describe what he sees in a terse sentence or two, although he could do that in ordinary speech anyway without needing the bond. I was thinking that the bond ought to confer some benefit, but not as great as effectively granting truesight to everyone.

Tricky stuff, magic :-S

It wont transmit empathy (so no feelings). My reading of the spell indicates that it allows you to bascally talk to one another mentally, and not see through the others eyes.

So silent and instant communication of text only (in the voice of the one transmitting).

Now please leave this thread. Youre adding nothing with your constant obnoxious comments. Discussion is fine, but youre adding nothing but challenging rulings. My game, my rulings. No arguments allowed.

I was having a nice little tactical discussion with Celtavian when you started arguing with me in #152 and telling me how you'd change the rules if you were the DM. You're not my DM.

I should probably have just set you to Ignore already instead of bothering to respond to you.

I was having a nice little tactical discussion with Celtavian when you started arguing with me in #152 and telling me how you'd change the rules if you were the DM. You're not my DM.

No but Im the effective DM of this thread mate. I designed the encounters, and am adjudicating the thing. As per the thread purpose.

Youre ruining it for everyone with your constant sniping and obnoxious posts. Please stop.

Im asking nicely. Please just enjoy the thread and stop ruining it for everyone else?

BoldItalic

First Post
It wont transmit empathy (so no feelings). My reading of the spell indicates that it allows you to bascally talk to one another mentally, and not see through the others eyes.

So silent and instant communication of text only (in the voice of the one transmitting).
Okay, thanks. I'll run with that.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
To the Rift

After their rest the party heads out. Ceric sends Owlbert up to watch the skies while Nightflower, Bel and Cooper range ahead. The young wizard then starts running after them with Malloren and Fred behind. Despite their heavier armor they seem to have no trouble keeping up.

Once they reach the rift a brief discussion ensues. Talk of various spells are thrown out, but ultimately they realize they are in the same boat as before and have no idea what is on the other side. However, since they don't have to all go at once they will try some scouting.

Bel will cast Pass without Trace, then Nightflower, Bel and Cooper will go in first. The plan is they will poke in, being all stealthy like, then Bel will pop back out immediately to tell the rest of the group what the situation is. If she fails to show up in, let's say, 6 seconds (Just a completely arbitrary amount of time, honest!), the rest of the group will pile in after them, spreading out as soon as they are through so they aren't caught clumped up like they were last time.

Ceric will tuck Owlbert back in his pocket dimension before going in. Once in Nightflower will break left while Bel and Cooper go right (since Bel can’t go back after all). When the second group comes in Malloren will go left, Ceric will go right, and Fred will go up the middle.

Skills for checking out the rift:
Ceric: Arcane +10, History +10, Investigation +10
Malloren: Religion +5
Bel: Nature +5

Scouting the rift:
Nightflower: Stealth +25 (w/ advantage for moving half speed), Perception +12 (can't roll below a 10 on either skill)
Bel: Stealth +20, Perception +8
Cooper: Stealth +19, Perception +8 (advantage on hearing and smell)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Pre-encounter Discussion

Entering the Portal: Given the information we received and our knowledge of the rary's telepathic bond, the feeling is that there is no way to scout ahead effectively and get information back to the party.

Jubali throws her head back and laughs, then she looks at the others, "If we're going to die, we're going to die fighting. We're going in to kill anything in our way that doesn't immediately surrender. When we go in, move forward and assault anything in the room that attacks. To the death, on our feet. If our world is going to end, we're going end as many of their worlds as we can as well. Ready?"

They give her affirmative nods. Weapons are drawn.

Commentary I've always viewed adventurers as combat assault teams full of super alphas. When someone says, "The dragon is coming" and most start looking to leave and hide, the adventurers pick up their weapons and start looking for the dragon. When someone tells them the tomb of an ancient lich has been found and he may still be alive, they ask, "Where is it?" When an army of giants and orcs assault their home, they start assaulting the giants and orcs. The fun of playing D&D is the chance to live as a super alpha adventurer that goes looking for as much danger as he can find and overcomes it.

Actions: They head in. Ryken, Dom, Jubali, Seebo, and Tim. Two by two if possible. They will form up within a 10 foot area just inside the portal and start scanning the room. If a trap is there, they are screwed. The first scout going in would have been screwed as well. That's part of the screw it mentality you have to take in a situation like this.

Player Commentary The way I see it in this situation, if we can't beat the first room we're dead anyway.

Time used: We'll assume this process of investigation and discussion is fairly quick. It will take about 15 minutes. An additional ten minutes for another Rary's. 25 minutes time used.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads