Destroying Undead Question

Svirfneblin

First Post
If I turn some undead and roll high enough to destroy them, what happens? Do they explode like in Baldur's Gate? Or do they just fall to the ground and become normal corpses?

Xarlen

First Post
The only instance it's happened with our group was when the cleric turned a small platoon of animated mice skeletons (With a poisoned caltrop strapped to their backs, instructed to scurry under feet).

They turned to dust.

It just depends on the DM. I like to add special effects and cenematics.

Fade

First Post
I'd say it depends on the age of the corpse. Fresh ones just collapse. Ancient ones turn to dust and blow away. And if you roll really high the excess energy causes them to explode.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Svirfneblin wrote:
If I turn some undead and roll high enough to destroy them, what happens? Do they explode like in Baldur's Gate? Or do they just fall to the ground and become normal corpses?

You don't roll to destroy undead. From the PH, page 140:
If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.

Your rolls determine two things: the maximum Hit Dice your turning attempt will affect and how many Hit Dice of undead you actually turn.

gamecat

Explorer
Xarlen said:

It just depends on the DM. I like to add special effects and cenematics.

Well, as a DM, i am all about making my players feel big, even if it was just a gibberling skeleton that was blown to frag...

kreynolds

First Post
I'm pretty flashing in describing my players turning attempts too. Generally, undead in my game explode like a giant bag of fine sand and cooking flower that completely dissipates in a couple seconds.

lmccauley

First Post
If your players watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then describing it like the way vampires get dusted would give them a good visual image.

Cheers,
Liam

Remove ads