D&D 5E Determining a spellbook value

I wouldn't assume that the Oni has been able to appraise the book based on the spells contained within it. Base the ransom on what the oni thinks that the wizard and their party can afford. Plus any extra precautions that the Oni may feel they need to take to avoid reprisals.

If the Oni knows that the party has looted 10,000 gp recently, they will probably base the ransom upon that.
Does it think that the party can be trusted? If so, I'd probably have him ask for 5000gp plus a binding oath that the party not seek reprisals. If they refuse, the ransom will increase to 8 or 9 thousand gp.

delericho

Legend
How would the Oni curse the book? They don't have any curse abilities that I'm aware of.

Not every monster ability is necessarily listed in the stat-block - unique creatures can have unique abilities. And a curse ability is in keeping with what an Oni is.

The thing is, simply asking a ransom isn't actually terribly interesting - the loss of the spellbook is pretty existential for the Wizard, so if they group can afford it they will pay the ransom. So it's just a question of how bad you want them to feel about doing so.

However, there are a couple of ways you can make it more interesting. One is, as I suggested, allowing them to choose the ransom themselves but then attach a consequence to the recovered book. The other is to make the ransom non-monetary - he'll give the book back, but only if the Wizard accepts a geas to do something for him in turn.

Lol! Yes, you might say the wizard is in a hurry to get his only spellbook back! Close to absolute panic!

And oh yes, you'd better believe the PCs will try to kill this guy rather than pay if they can. But this Oni is pretty slippery, so he might just get away with it.

For now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EN World mobile app

Even without spellbook the Wizard keep its current prepared spells. He is not hopeless.

akr71

Hero
A little more info: the Oni knows that the party has just taken a small dragon horde, which the Oni saw and can reasonably guess contained at least 10,000 gp (more like 12000, but he has to estimate). Would demanding 10,000 be fair?

Sure! This is extortion, not the market value of the spellbook we're talking about. The oni knows the party hit a pretty big payday and wants it for himself, with little work. Of course he's gonna squeeze hard!

As far as curses go. This oni managed to steal a spellbook from a high level mage. Who's to say he doesn't have some non-statblock abilities?... Or an item that can do the job for him, or an ally. You're the DM - if you want it to happen, it happens.

My players would never pay. At least I highly doubt they would. They would look at it as "Oh, this is the next adventure thread. Track down and kill the oni - get the mage's spellbook back. I wonder what other powerful magic it has stolen?"

A little more info: the Oni knows that the party has just taken a small dragon horde, which the Oni saw and can reasonably guess contained at least 10,000 gp (more like 12000, but he has to estimate). Would demanding 10,000 be fair?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EN World mobile app

Level 13 party vs an Oni. hum....
The party may have a counter offer.
Bring back the Wizard book and add 1000 golds and we let you live. Otherwise we swear we will hunt you down.

jasper

Rotten DM
Rick Harrison, "So Mr. Oni you say this your Grandfather's Spellbook. Why does say Gandalf the Grey on the back? Do mind if I have my expert come down here and give me an appraisal ?"

jgsugden

Legend
This is a role playing question, and there are a lot of potential answers. I'd start by telling the story. What does the thief know about the spellbook? What did he do with it once he stole it? What are his motivations (other than money)? He just ripped off a powerful wizard - how does he feel about that? Scared? Arrogant?

* He might demand a service in exchange for the book.
* He might tell the PCs to give him as much as they can afford - and if he decides it is enough, he'll return the book. If not, he'll find another buyer.
* He might auction it.
* He might give it to a wizard he fancies...
* He might have traded it to a wizard for a magic item.
* Maybe he thinks the smart thing is just to return it and cut your losses rather than have a wizard gunning for you...

Don't forget to apply circumstances of the environment in which the book might be sold in if you want to be more practical about it.

For example, one could ask the following questions:

Is the country at war? (is there a greater need among mages to learn combat spells)

Is there a glut or shortage of books on the market? (supply and demand drives market value)

Are spell books legal to sell in the country? (Black Market prices tend to place a higher price position for unlawful goods)

However... does the book have any unusual or custom spells in it? If so, you should charge a premium for the book, as suddenly it's worth more to others.

One thing to note is the rogue on his own has no idea what is specifically in the book, he cannot thumb through it count the number of spells, determine their power level, and then ask an appropriate amount for the book. The whole thing is worse than Greek to him. He could ask another wizard to read it and let him know how valuable it is but do you trust that wizard to not lie to the obvious thief and lowball its value then offer to sell it?

The price should be plot determined, the rogue should try to sell it for what he thinks is a large amount of money within his frame of reference. Which may result in a Doctor Evil "One MILLION Dollars" that the wizard chuckles and hands over instantly or could result in "One hundred BILLION dollars" and the wizard cries into his hands while trying to decide how best to kill the thief and recover his property.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
1. Thieves should never think it's a good idea to steal a wizard's spellbook for ransom. They're freaking wizards and do weird stuff.
2. Thieves should be scared crapless of what will happen to them for touching the spellbook.

That said, (and I think others may have said this) if the thief stole it, what was his motive? Ransom is horribly boring and presumes he knew that the wizard in question was weak. Doesn't matter how good of a thief you are wizards scry stuff and send invisible assassins after you..

So it's likely someone hired him to do it. Who? Why?

Answering the question: The book should be worth at least the value of buying the spell as a service plus whatever the thief can barter away from the wizard in question. Were I the thief I'd start with whatever property the mage has that can provide ongoing income.

KB

Remove ads