• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dexterous Fighter

ibonet

First Post
I like playing dexterous fighter characters. In 3.5 I liked the swashbuckler/rogue with Daring Outlaw.

I was waiting the APG to see if it included the swash class and any feat similar to DO. But what I've found I llike it muchmore: they include some variants to the fighter class adapted to the fighting style, like one handed, two weapon, two handed, ... which I find more much easy and logical than adding lots of base classes. What do you think about it?

And thera are lots of fetas that fits very well with the dexterous fighter concept. But I have some doubts and qüestions about them.

Precise strike, is similar to sneack attack, isn't it? Is it stackable? And another question; I understand that you need to flank with a buddy to activate it, but I don't understand the teamwork need, to flank with a guy that also has the feat. What do you think about it?

In a similar way, I think that the feats Outflank and Paired Opportunists are equivalent to 3.5 Vexing flanker and Deft opportunists, but are, as well teamwork fetas. It's really understandable the need of a apairing guy with the same feat?

I find still some feats more... Something equivalent to Telling Blow that enables activating precision damage in case of a critical besides of flanking. Do you know sometuing similar in PFG? Or the rogue alternate ability Penetrating strike that allows to apply precision damage (half) to creatures immune to that damage. Or karmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit combos... Is there something similar?

Any oppinion? Advice? thanks in advanced...

BlubSeabass

First Post
Hey there! Yeah I agree that the archetypes for the base classes are great! Way better then adding new classes, and also leaves some extra room for roleplaying. (Now your ninja doesn't have to be of the "ninja" class).

On precise strike, yes, it is like sneak attack, and yes it does stack (it says so in the description). I also do understand that you need another teammate with the same feat to use it, since its just really strong. 1d6 extra damage outshines every other damage feat, like weapon specialization etc. And flanking is not that hard at all.

Same goes for Outflank and Paired Opportunists. The bonuses they grant are greater then any other feat, and to keep the power level equal, they have to be made situational. The teamwork feats also work a bit as glue, keeping the team together and stimulating some teamwork. I think it's worth it.

Maybe the Shatter Defenses feat? It allows you to sneak attack on almost every turn, as long as the opponent is shaken, frightened or panicked. Gang Up can also help you gain some sneak attacks.

ibonet

First Post
It's true, duelist fits as a dexterous fighter PrC...

But, by one side, I was evaluating the possibility to reach the objective attahed to the fighter class only; and, in the other side, duelist is compatible. All thoughts are still valid in both scenarios: attaching to a single class (fighter); or combinig class and PrC (fighter+duelist)

IronWolf

blank
I was waiting the APG to see if it included the swash class and any feat similar to DO. But what I've found I llike it muchmore: they include some variants to the fighter class adapted to the fighting style, like one handed, two weapon, two handed, ... which I find more much easy and logical than adding lots of base classes. What do you think about it?

I think going the variant route was a great thing. It just seems a better way of doing things than a character needing to take class after class to get the feel he or she wants in their character.

Remove ads