TSR Did TSR Sue Regularly?

Shannon Appelcline (Designers & Dragons) talks about it here! With infographics! "Every company interacts with the rest of the industry in a different way. For Chaosium it's been more than 40 years of licensing, while Target Games created and defined roleplaying in its home country of Sweden. Dave Nalle's Ragnarok Enterprises instead influenced designers and publishers through interactions in...

Shannon Appelcline (Designers & Dragons) talks about it here! With infographics!

"Every company interacts with the rest of the industry in a different way. For Chaosium it's been more than 40 years of licensing, while Target Games created and defined roleplaying in its home country of Sweden. Dave Nalle's Ragnarok Enterprises instead influenced designers and publishers through interactions in A&Eand Abyss. As for TSR, the founder of our industry: as wags have put it: they sue regularly."

They also sued WotC once!

Davies

Legend
Yes. They were good for that. I've been seeking a particular one in the line. I wonder if there's a comprehensive and sequential Listing of their addies and SBs online. Will have to search when time allows. Can't remember the title but would sure know it by the description.
I think the RPGnet Index listing for the series, and the individual product descriptions, would probably help -- Role Aids Listing - RPGnet RPG Game Index

I think the RPGnet Index listing for the series, and the individual product descriptions, would probably help -- Role Aids Listing - RPGnet RPG Game Index
You have earned Knight OMS status in the Castle & Crusade Society (which I can confer as its last executive), for I found the title on that list and that I've been wanting to acquire for many years. Now to find the gem. :)

Stormonu

Legend
Hahn, I wasn’t aware Role Aids had been bought out/discontinued. I’d picked up a handful of supplements ages ago, but after perusing them never actually used them.

I’m also a bit relieved to find out that I was not the only one disappointed with Dangerous Journeys. Just didn’t strike a chord with me.

Back in the 90’s, I got in on the wave of making your own web pages, and was very miffed by the TSR attitude that essentially made posting my homebrew material impossible. I hate to say this, but I’m glad the company - or at least its leadership - is gone.

(Also, am I thinking of the wrong company, but in the end didn’t they end up suing their own lawyer, trying to pin the Random House fiasco on them? My sources of that information are unreliable at best...)

MGibster

Legend
Brutal but fair. One of the great disappointments of my late childhood/early teen years was going to an obscure RPG shop in Oxford, which had really pristine copies of a lot of stuff I hadn't seen before (this was in the early '90s), and one of those things was Dangerous Journeys, and it was by GARY GYGAX so how could it possibly be bad right? (This was like the year before I read his utterly terrible "how to DM" book I think).
I owned a copy of Cyborg Commando. Sometimes I wake up in cold sweats during the middle of the night shouting about cyborgs and Xenoborgs.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads