TSR Did TSR Sue Regularly?

Shannon Appelcline (Designers & Dragons) talks about it here! With infographics! "Every company interacts with the rest of the industry in a different way. For Chaosium it's been more than 40 years of licensing, while Target Games created and defined roleplaying in its home country of Sweden. Dave Nalle's Ragnarok Enterprises instead influenced designers and publishers through interactions in...

Shannon Appelcline (Designers & Dragons) talks about it here! With infographics!

"Every company interacts with the rest of the industry in a different way. For Chaosium it's been more than 40 years of licensing, while Target Games created and defined roleplaying in its home country of Sweden. Dave Nalle's Ragnarok Enterprises instead influenced designers and publishers through interactions in A&Eand Abyss. As for TSR, the founder of our industry: as wags have put it: they sue regularly."

They also sued WotC once!

By that point I was really into GDW games, and so ANGRY at TSR. Yes, I paid for Dangerous Journeys and had to rewrite the rules to make it work, but I REALLY LOVED Twilight 2000, 2300AD, Traveller (the in its 3rd edition as The New Era), Space 1889, and really wanted to work there once my enlistment would have ended. I loved AD&D2E and some of its settings, but I had drifted to Sci-Fi over Fantasy and could get my shipmates into it. And then TSR goes and kills GDW and my love for them. :(
I don't even really remember being aware of exactly what GDW and TSR were doing. By '96 I'd already tired of 2e entirely and by then Gygax was a guy who'd been basically out of circulation for a decade. Nothing he did post-TSR really registered, it just wasn't, frankly, all that good or relevant to the state of RPGs at that point. He was basically still living in 1980. So I guess none of my group really much registered whatever was going on there, and we'd LONG ago got everything Traveller we ever needed. I did pick up a copy of 2300. Wasn't that impressed, and never did care much for Aftermath and its focus on the minutia of different guns. That game totally fascinated my brother-in-law, so we played a couple times perfunctorily.

Space 1889, OTOH, while a total market flop, was IMHO a brilliant piece of thematic niche RPG design. I guess I loaned my copy out to someone and it got skeefed long ago, but I really liked the milieu. OTOH we just grafted in some hacked Traveller rules to actually play it, the mechanics were pretty 'meh'.

TSR was definitely tainted by the whole 'sues regularly' thing though. I don't think it hurt them much in the 80's, but as time went on the whole attitude seemed to slowly push them into an intellectual corner of the RPG industry. They were weirdly 90% of the money, but 10% of the ideas, and by the time WotC bought them we all just kind of shrugged our shoulders and said to ourselves it was a pity from the nostalgia standpoint, but that D&D would be better off for it. I think overall that is true, WotC has been a pretty good participant in the industry and made a good effort to be part of the game development community and publishing community in a way that TSR rarely managed.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I don't even really remember being aware of exactly what GDW and TSR were doing. By '96 I'd already tired of 2e entirely and by then Gygax was a guy who'd been basically out of circulation for a decade. Nothing he did post-TSR really registered, it just wasn't, frankly, all that good or relevant to the state of RPGs at that point. He was basically still living in 1980. So I guess none of my group really much registered whatever was going on there, and we'd LONG ago got everything Traveller we ever needed. I did pick up a copy of 2300. Wasn't that impressed, and never did care much for Aftermath and its focus on the minutia of different guns. That game totally fascinated my brother-in-law, so we played a couple times perfunctorily.

Space 1889, OTOH, while a total market flop, was IMHO a brilliant piece of thematic niche RPG design. I guess I loaned my copy out to someone and it got skeefed long ago, but I really liked the milieu. OTOH we just grafted in some hacked Traveller rules to actually play it, the mechanics were pretty 'meh'.

TSR was definitely tainted by the whole 'sues regularly' thing though. I don't think it hurt them much in the 80's, but as time went on the whole attitude seemed to slowly push them into an intellectual corner of the RPG industry. They were weirdly 90% of the money, but 10% of the ideas, and by the time WotC bought them we all just kind of shrugged our shoulders and said to ourselves it was a pity from the nostalgia standpoint, but that D&D would be better off for it. I think overall that is true, WotC has been a pretty good participant in the industry and made a good effort to be part of the game development community and publishing community in a way that TSR rarely managed.

Too bad, you missed out on some great GDW rpgs in the late 80's to mid 90's with the Twilight 2000, 2300, Dark Conspiracy etc. We played a lot of those I spent almost a decade stationed in Europe and GDW stuff was always in the rotation of rpgs we played. And yep I agree Space 1889 was very well done.

one thing that occurs to me after reading all this... their shenanigans with SPI and GDW were yet more instances of TSR wasting money they couldn't afford. Trying to sell SPI games wasted more. Combined with some other bad money moves, this was something they really should have just left alone.

I wonder if someone related to her, or perhaps a personal friend, was the lawyer scooping up the legal fees.

Too bad, you missed out on some great GDW rpgs in the late 80's to mid 90's with the Twilight 2000, 2300, Dark Conspiracy etc. We played a lot of those I spent almost a decade stationed in Europe and GDW stuff was always in the rotation of rpgs we played. And yep I agree Space 1889 was very well done.
The whole thing reminded me far too much of Aftermath, lol. It just didn't mesh with what we wanted to do. The original Traveller engine was simpler and gave IMHO equally good results, but without the tedious focus on so many minutia. I think the Traveller 2300 milieu was just less interesting to most people as well. I always felt like the whole game line was mostly aimed at gamers in the Armed Forces, which is actually a pretty decent sized community. Those were always the people I saw playing it anyway. I guess it was moderately successful as there have been periodic revisions to the system. Sounds like there may even be a 'fourth edition' sometime soon.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
What do you think? How did it turn out? Are the rules still essentially the same?
Cleaned up a little bit but overall it felt like the same game though you gotta realize I'd not looked at and played Melee and Wizard since 1982-83-ish. A friend of mine was a big fan and he'd whip out the pocket melee anytime we were sitting around waiting for our GM to show up to run a Saturday game at the gaming shop we went to. The collector in me just couldn't resist snagging it when SJG got the rights back.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
The whole thing reminded me far too much of Aftermath, lol. It just didn't mesh with what we wanted to do. The original Traveller engine was simpler and gave IMHO equally good results, but without the tedious focus on so many minutia. I think the Traveller 2300 milieu was just less interesting to most people as well. I always felt like the whole game line was mostly aimed at gamers in the Armed Forces, which is actually a pretty decent sized community. Those were always the people I saw playing it anyway. I guess it was moderately successful as there have been periodic revisions to the system. Sounds like there may even be a 'fourth edition' sometime soon.
heh, Good ole Aftermath. Talk about a confusing game at the time, we had a guy who ran it around the time it was new. Aftermath and one other post apocalyptic rpg that slipped my... oh wait I remember know The Morrow Project. The guy was a big fan of anything post apocalyptic. heh.

On the Twilight 2000, I went all in on the recent Kickstarter though the system will be much different. It's being done by Free League Publishing. The system intrigues me, I know it's going to be very different from the old mechanics system.

The last couple years Free League has gotten a lot of my gaming hobby cash. lol

Kimberly Burgess

Loki's Little Valkyrie
I think the Traveller 2300 milieu was just less interesting to most people as well. I always felt like the whole game line was mostly aimed at gamers in the Armed Forces, which is actually a pretty decent sized community. Those were always the people I saw playing it anyway. I guess it was moderately successful as there have been periodic revisions to the system. Sounds like there may even be a 'fourth edition' sometime soon.
I think there is a lot of truth to this. I was in the Navy at the time and grew up during the Cold War, so Twilight 2000 resonated with me. Traveller 2300/2300AD was the hopeful future of Twilight 2000, set 300 years later when mankind had rebuilt and reached the stars. I loved that idea. It was grittier than regular Traveller, so much more primitive and frontier in setting. Yes, I am buying the next edition that is released, and already backed the Free League's Twilight 2000.

Marc Miller's Far Future Enterprise company sells CDs with many of the GDW properties' entire lines on them. That is how I obtained legal copies of everything Traveller, Dark Conspiracy 1st and 2nd Editions, JTAS and Challenger Magazines, 2300AD, and Twilight 2000. I have their Space 1889 boxed set and books from back in the day and backed a more recent revival of it.

And that led me to purchasing Mongoose's Traveller 1st and 2nd Editions, as well as Mindjammer for Traveller, and keeps me hopeful for their upcoming 2300AD and even looking at their 1E version of that.

GDW is in my blood now.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads