D&D 5E Did you like one Playtest version better than the final 5e PHB?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I found on an old usb drive the playtest documents for D&D Next (that would become 5e). Strangely, while re-reading them, I found that one version of the playtest had rules that pleases me more than the ones we have in the PHB.

For me, the Playtest Packet 7 has the best rules:
  • Focused on level 1-11, beyond that classes dont gain much beyond more uses of their features. All important and fun features are gained within 10 levels.
  • Each class has its own weapon attack bonus and/or spell DC progression
  • Longer skill list: each background give 4 skills. Classes do not give skills unless you are a Rogue, but Wizard, druids and cleric have advantage to recall lore in their domain.
  • No proficiency bonus. Instead trained skills add +1d6 to their ability check. At level X,Y,Z you either gain another skill or increase the size of the die by one.
  • Saving throws receives no bonus unless very special cases.
  • Fighters have built-in offensive and defensive maneuvers depending on their favored fighting styles, including warlord-y ones.
  • Two-weapon figthing does not require a bonus action.
  • In fact, Bonus Actions no longer exist. Some spells are Swift, meaning you can cast them as part of another non-spell Action.
  • No, bards, sorcerers or warlock, but they can be replicated with Specialty and Background.
  • Smite is a Channel Divinity option instead of a spell-consuming feature. The Paladin can add its CHA mod to the save of an ally as a reaction, no longer an always ON aura. The paladin, can replace any of its saves attempt with a CHA save instead, but do not add their CHA to all other saves.
  • Druids use templates instead of statblocks for their shapeshift.
  • No multi-attacks, but classes gain more damage die at X levels.
  • In addition to backgrounds and classes, the players can choose a Specialty, which are built-in feat progression as you level. Wanna be a druid with a thief guild background and a two-handed weapon warrior specialty? Go for it. It add another layer of customization.
  • Feats are small, but no longer cost an ASI.
  • Monks have different archetypes based on elemental bending ala Avatar.
  • Disengage moves you 10 ft.

and Death:
  • A creature can make a Coup de Grace as an action: if they target an unconscious creature and deal damage, the creature falls to 0 HP. If the creature is already at 0 HP, it dies. No need to hit it 2-3 times to causes death save failure.
  • You can go in negative HP, If a creature making death save has more than CON score + level in negative hp, it dies.
  • Stabilizing a creatures requires a DC 15 instead of 10.
  • Short rests are 10 minutes, long rest 8 hours, but there is optional rules for slower healing and even reinstating Bloodied and Second Wind from 4e.

• Enemies have way less HP.
  • Most enemies have a special move recharging on a d6, and some basic creatures have a list of traits you can add to them to make them different or more challenging.

Do you have things from the playtest you still use at your table? or you wished they had kept from the playtest?

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I too was too busy with 3.75(ie pathfinder) & work at the time & didn't bother with what I dismissed as "whatever the next version of 4e was doing" to dig into it but as has been said already a lot of that sounds much better than what wotc eventually settled on for 5e.

GlassJaw

Hero
  • No, bards, sorcerers or warlock, but they can be replicated with Specialty and Background.

Bards and sorcerers did both show up. The warlock never did though.

The bard was towards the end in a couple of the playtest packets but the sorcerer only showed up once and it was fairly early on. It was awesome though. Had a unique mechanic and was quite different then the wizard. It wasn't fully developed but I liked it a ton more than what we ended up with.

A lot of the playtest was great and to be honest, a 50-50 split of Playtest/Final would probably be my "ideal" 5E incarnation. It's pretty obvious that they significantly dialed back much of the expanded options and choices in the final release.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am pretty fly with the rules and core as it stands now. The only playtest thing I miss much, was the rules around, I think it was an early version of shield master, that let you used that as an off-hand attack weapon. There might have been difference sizes of shields then too, I can't remember.

GlassJaw

Hero
Its been what, 7 years since the playtests?
Honestly I dont remember versions, just random bits I liked. Those bits are stored away in an ideas/possible house rules file. But I didn't note what versions they came from.
The playtests certainly weren't organized very well, that's for sure. I started going through each one picking out what I liked for a possible 5.5 version but the project lost steam. Someday!

Remove ads