D&D General Differences Between D&D Boards

Mikeythorn

Explorer
I like both RPGNet and Enworld. The moderation at Big Purple is strict, but I get it. They have a number of LBGTA members and want to make it a safe place for them, and further they are primarily a board for people who play games and want to prevent hostility between members over topics like politics and religion. RPGNet also leans towards games that I really like (games by companies like Fria Ligan and Modiphius as well as older games like Pendragon and Runequest), and is a great source of information on those.

happyhermit

Adventurer
... They have a number of LBGTA members and want to make it a safe place for them, and further they are primarily a board for people who play games and want to prevent hostility between members over topics like politics and religion. ...

I don't think that's quite a fair assessment of their site. They are proud of the discussion of politics on their site. Off the top of my head I can also think of outspokenly LGBT people who have been permabanned. It isn't so straightforward.

Mikeythorn

Explorer
I don't think that's quite a fair assessment of their site. They are proud of the discussion of politics on their site. Off the top of my head I can also think of outspokenly LGBT people who have been permabanned. It isn't so straightforward.

That is probably fair. I guess the point I was trying to make was that “no group attacks” is a key rule - and that it’s origin probably stems from a desire to make the site inclusive. But it is applied across the board (although I have noticed that they are a little less likely to use it when the group being attacked comes from the US right).

I disagree that they are proud of their “politics” as Haffrung put it though. They are proud that they have an inclusive and a safe space for people of all persuasions. I do not regard that as a political stance, just a human one.

Hussar

Legend
In my experiences mobile versions of website GUIs are usually garbage. I generally wind up having to load up the desktop version anyway bacause the mobile version is missing so much functionality

Y'know I didn't realize they had finally put the dark mode back on En World. I scrolled down to the very bottom of this page and saw the mode selection and changed to dark. My eyes thank you.

happyhermit

Adventurer
That is probably fair. I guess the point I was trying to make was that “no group attacks” is a key rule - and that it’s origin probably stems from a desire to make the site inclusive. But it is applied across the board (although I have noticed that they are a little less likely to use it when the group being attacked comes from the US right).

Exemptions to the rule about group attacks includes government employees in certain areas, and support for the current US government is banned.

I disagree that they are proud of their “politics” as Haffrung put it though. They are proud that they have an inclusive and a safe space for people of all persuasions. I do not regard that as a political stance, just a human one.

I could be wrong, but I know when people have proposed extending a "politics free" period they were vehement about the fact that they wanted political discussion allowed on the site.

This could be straying a bit far but one of their (now former?) moderators was sued for libel, had to make a payment, then apologize publicly. The site buried the apology, but I wonder if it will affect how they move forward.

CapnZapp

Legend
The moderation of rpg.net is so oppressive you basically can't say bad things about a game.

I realize a very heavy hand is needed when it comes to politics and discussion related to gender/sexuality.

But they're moderating role-playing games equally hard. It has sucked out all my joy of participating there, except for a very limited number of highly specific topics.

Basically their problem is that politics and gender issues (the whole liberal-conservative war that's engulfing the US) are discussed at the same board as silly elfgames: say something bad about a game and you're treated as if you ate a baby.

Remove ads