D&D General Differences Between D&D Boards

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think Enworld is the most balanced in term of civility and helpfulness without being echo chambers.

GITP is really optimization-heavy. Its hard to suggest anything that is not related to a (perceived) optimized build.

Reddit is really an echo chamber:
  • r/dndnext is a board to trash on Dms: the most common posts are posts starting with ''My Dm doesnt allow X'' and the usual response is ''Its a bad/horrible/criminally inapt DM, you should quit''
  • r/dnd is just a lot of art, not a bad place, but not much discussion about D&D going down there.
  • r/rpg is actually quite good, polite, well-moderated
  • r/osr is somewhat interesting, but it suffers a lot from the usual obnoxious elitism of ''is it OSR enough?''.
  • r/unearthedarcana is a really proactive community and people are usually really helpful. A little too much cingey homebrews for my taste (I mean, how much variation of blood magic do you need!?)

MeWe's and Reddit's game-specific groups have low traffic but they are rather calm and proactive communities.

Tribality doesnt have a message board per-se, but its a fun site with many regular posters that are quite active.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In what way?

Examples would include something like player counts. Most people there play with a lot of people. I'm not going to find much common ground with someone who plays at a table of 9 people.

A lot of people also treat magic items in 5e like it were 3e picking and choosing their items and having a ton of them. We're going to see the game so differently and have such different experiences that we're just going to be talking past each other.

I'm not saying they aren't playing the game right, just that we're going to be speaking different languages.

Examples would include something like player counts. Most people there play with a lot of people. I'm not going to find much common ground with someone who plays at a table of 9 people.

A lot of people also treat magic items in 5e like it were 3e picking and choosing their items and having a ton of them. We're going to see the game so differently and have such different experiences that we're just going to be talking past each other.

I'm not saying they aren't playing the game right, just that we're going to be speaking different languages.

Yeah. I have a group with 16 players (who all play at the same time). It's a blast.

but what we're NOT going to do is say mean things about another community.

Thank you Morrus! Insulting another board was the furthest thing from my mind. I wanted more friendly Trip Advisor like comments.

I posted it to spur discussion.

You succeeded brilliantly. I hope you did not feel personally attacked at the responses. Differences between how a spell is used at one table vs another is fun to read, and educational.

I still frequent this one because I like Russ, and there are a few old faces around I still connect with. 😀

While, this is not the handle I used back in 3e days, I feel the same way. While you do not post as much as you used to in 3e, it warms my heart abit when I see your name....very fond memories of the endless discussion of D&D at that time.

I also really like the posters here now.

As an inveterate min/maxer, I love exploring how far a system will go. I love reading different approaches to a character. I typically will not use it...but knowing is half the battle.

Zardnaar

Legend
Varies the various tribes tend to gravitate towards certain boards.

Dragonsfoot pre wotc, GitP 3E in tone even with 5E, Reddit idk what's going on there seems more casual.

ENworld seems more hardcore/veteren based maybe. Less echo chamber maybe.

S'mon

Legend
RPGPub is for traumatised refugees from RPGnet and theRPGsite - it feels a bit like the town in Shymalan's The Village. :D It's mostly pleasant but a bit dull.

Dragonsfoot is mostly for 1e grognards, especially grouchy grognards, even though the mods are very pleasant and reasonable. I tend to like the Other Games section there best.

theRPGsite is a free speech site - ie you can bet on yourself and your cherished beliefs being trashed, but you're free to respond in kind. The only site where you can slag off the board owner and his own cherished views to his face and see your community status go up.

RPGnet is the dark place. We do not go there.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
theRPGsite is a free speech site - ie you can bet on yourself and your cherished beliefs being trashed, but you're free to respond in kind. The only site where you can slag off the board owner and his own cherished views to his face and see your community status go up.

RPGnet is the dark place. We do not go there.

In an alternative take, RPGnet is a site with a liberal outlook that is not particularly friendly to conservatives, while theRPGsite is a place where they will grouse about the SJWs on both ENWorld and RPGnet.

My record is 9...in 3x, in an epic level campaign. It was fun, but a single combat took 6 hours.

16 players....in a Virtual game, I might see it working -In person. I can not imagine controlling all the egos, and the jokes would be endless. 😄

I haven't need any ego problems, but the jokes are indeed endless despite having a strict you-say-it-you-do-it policy. All good fun though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases