D&D General Differences Between D&D Boards

dave2008

Legend
I've spent years wondering whether the better adjective to describe that place is "Orwellian" or "Kafkaesque".

Leaving the political elements aside, the moderators on RPGnet are capricious, hypocritical, and abusive and they vary between being unwilling to acknowledge the problem to being openly proud of it. The fact that they're all clustered around a very narrow band of political positions... just makes it too easy to blame their toxic behavior on their politics, which just provides other political malignancies an excuse to persecute their enemies.

I don't believe we can realistically-- morally-- separate politics from gaming entirely, but I am sick and goddamned tired of having my gaming spaces infested with people who treat gaming like it's a weapon (or a battlefield) in the Culture War.
I'm glad I've never really wandered over there!

dave2008

Legend
GITPG is still fundamentally a 3.5 board - and optimisation is much more fun in 3.5 and 4e alike than it is in 5e simply because each character has a lot more moving parts. In 5e it's entirely normal for a character to not get their first feat until level 12 and muticlassing is discouraged so it's nowhere near the fun game it was in 3.5 or 4e.
Have you tried PF2e? My understanding is there are a lot of dials, but you can't get any advantage from choosing different ones. I imagine that would also not be fun for the optimizer, but I could be wrong, that is what I'm asking. The only optimizers I know about who are playing it are a bit frustrated because despite all of the options, they can't get ahead of the curve so to speak.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
ENWorld is my regular site, for whatever reason the mix of posters and topics works for me. I've tried some other sites but they just haven't clicked for me. I used to post of Dakka a lot when I was still a 40K nut, but that's a while gone these days. Now the 'other' sites in my life for RPGs tend to be game specific community sites where I can go to ask specific questions, find resources etc etc. Lately that's been the BitD site and the Burning Wheel site. I have a very low tolerance for the shenanigans on a lot of boards, so I'm quite pleased I've found a home here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought I was pretty clear we weren’t going to use this thread to attack other boards. I don’t want to have to close this down, but I’ll repeat: talk about what you like about other boards. We’re not going to be the type of place that defines itself by how it tears down others. Calling moderators on other forums names very much falls within that.

jasper

Rotten DM
I do enworld and Rpgg mainly because they are clean sites which my firewall likes. Mods, culture, and layout determine how well I like a website. Years ago I posted in the Armour Archive (mostly medieval armour and some sca stuff) and another site. The other site DEMANDED I use my real name to make the site pure. I used my SCA handle. The archive did not care. Both forms had forums for how real your armour was. The mods on the second were a little heavy handed and mean when they had to move a topic into the correct forum. Archive wasn't.
Enworld is nice and gives you a smack on the nose first before they slap you down.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
@Morrus , just a heads up. Not a talk or discussion of the moderation (which I agree with). Just that your red text isn't very red (at least on my monitor) and doesn't stick out much. If I hadn't been reading every post, I wouldn't have noticed that you'd "moderated" the thread.

Of course, others may not be having the color issue. Just thought I'd mention it.

Have you tried PF2e? My understanding is there are a lot of dials, but you can't get any advantage from choosing different ones. I imagine that would also not be fun for the optimizer, but I could be wrong, that is what I'm asking. The only optimizers I know about who are playing it are a bit frustrated because despite all of the options, they can't get ahead of the curve so to speak.

For me it's not about getting ahead of the curve so much as building things that should fit but the designers didn't intend. This can be on the ludicrously powerful end of the spectrum (like the hulking hurler build that can shatter the planet) or it can be on the weird end (last month on one of the threads on this forum I worked out how to create a goblin on a pogo stick in 4e). Pathfinder 2e character building seems to be more fiddly than evocative and doesn't seem to give me enough to make it worth learning.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
@Morrus , I have to second @Doc_Klueless. I didn't notice your redtext until my second or third pass.

To the OP, I'm mostly a lurker, across a handful of RPG boards. They each have drastically different cultures and focuses, and I get different things out of each. Some are more bearable than others. ENWORLD tends to run closest to my interpersonal preferences, so I've been here more than the others as of late.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
First, the search feature on every single forum ever is absolutely awful. When a topic fades from being current on any board, you should assume it's gone forever. Google might help, but it probably won't. The Internet is a big black hole.
Dang, was going to make a long post, but you've pretty much echoed my experiences. Good post.

I would only quibble about r/3d6; I've actually had several decent discussion threads over the years. The CharOp knowledge there is pretty high, but without the overwhelming amount of "Must follow RAW" like StackExchange.

I'd also say if you can find a decent Discord server, you can also find some pretty good discussion. The r/UnearthedArcana Discord is solid, and several of the Patreons I back also have some excellent Discord communities.

Remove ads