• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Different type's of Lycanthopes for each Demi-Human ?

Doc_Souark

Explorer
I figured this would be better here but if the Mod's disagree so be it.

I disremember something about the different types of Were-Critters being more likely to affect different demi-human races or rather the race most prone to contract the diasease. Case in point is the Were-Badger and Dwarves and my own Were-Weasel and Halflings both are more likely to catch it when bitten then say a human .

So any were's in y'all games that are Racially specific ?

How about a tribe of Northern Barbariam Halflings that are prone to being Were-Lynxs ?

Elvish Were-Owls ? Jungle Barbarian Were- Crocadiles ?

Krishnath

First Post
Personally, I as the acting DM and Worldbuilder for my group, would not like to limit my possibilities to much, but some lycantrophes are more likely to be of a specific type than others, but this is more an effect of their preffered habitat than being a curse affecting only specific races. For example Werespiders in my campaign-world of Areh are more common among the underdark drow than with any other race, Weresquids are more common among Sahuagin and Aquatic Elves, Werecrocodiles among Lizardfolk, and werecobras and wereserpents among yuan-ti. But all humanoids or monstrous humanoids (and a precious few undead and fey) can be infected with any form of lycanthropy, if they survive the attack that is :D

Last edited:

rankarrog

First Post
I don't know if this counts but I loved to suprise my group with a halfling/Werepolarbear :) (of course this was not racial specific but suprising anyways ;D)

I belive racial specific Lycanthropes depends on your style of play: If you play a Horror campaign, one of the horrors of a lycanthrope you are chasing is that you might be chasing yourself or you could become the beast yourself, even after you have defeated the beast.
This points would be weakend if the players can be sure that they are not the beast which stalks the night (because only gnomes can become wereducks) and that they will not be in danger to affect themselves with lycanthropy.

If you play a fantasy campaign this needn't be a hindrace.

psychognome

First Post
Demihuman Lycanthropes:

Halfling: werecoyote (use dog stats for the coyote)
Gnome: werebadger (use dire badger stats)
Dwarf: werebear (mountain bear, use brown bear stats)
Elf:
Avariel -were-eagle (use giant eagle physical stats)
Drow -werespider (use medium-size monstrous spider stats)
Aquatic -weredolphin (use porpoise stats, also check out my thread about lycanthropes)
Wood -werepuma (use leopard stats)
Orc: wereboar

That's what I got at least for those races. Comments welcome!

Last edited:

rankarrog

First Post
@psychognome
Werebear for dwarves might be quite cool to shock the players, but I somehow don't see how this suits to them.

Werebat would perhaps also be suitable for drow (at least there are a lot of normal bats in the enviroment they live in).

What about standard elves? What about diffrent breeds of the other races (Deepgnomes, etc.)

By the way @Doc_Souark:
How do you handle that some Demihumans are more likely to catch the specific line of lycanthropy when bitten then the rest?

psychognome

First Post
ragnarok said:
@psychognome
Werebear for dwarves might be quite cool to shock the players, but I somehow don't see how this suits to them.

Werebat would perhaps also be suitable for drow (at least there are a lot of normal bats in the enviroment they live in).

What about standard elves? What about diffrent breeds of the other races (Deepgnomes, etc.)

Dwarves: perhaps werewolverine then? I can't really think of many animals that live in the underground enviroment of dwarves.

Elves: For the standard elf, I'd say were-eagle, as elves seem to have an affinity with giant eagles.

Drow: I'd just stay in werespiders in this matter, but sure, you could use werebats if you wanted to.

I've yet to work out the lycanthropes for the other demihuman races, but a few other ideas:
Troglodyte: werelizard (use giant lizard stats)
Kobold: wereweasel (use dire weasel stats)
Goblin: wereworg (use worg physical stats)
Sahuagin: wereshark

Remove ads