D&D (2024) Digital Only Edition

Digital Subscription Based Perfect D&D. You in?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • No.

Votes: 95 82.6%
  • I'm special. Let me tell you how.

Votes: 3 2.6%

Reynard

Legend
Hypothetical: the perfect edition of D&D for you comes out, but is only available in a subscription based, digital only format (you can't print out PDFs and you even use a digital device for your character sheet). Assuming again that it is otherwise everything you want in an edition of D&D, and assuming the price isn't prohibitive for you, would you be in?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I just grabbed Foundry because I'm cheap and willing to do it myself. Kind of why I have been a PC guy all these years instead of Apple. I like to figure it out myself, and save a few bucks.

That said, I have also played a few MMOs in past years so I am not totally out on paying for a monthly fee for entertainment. Although, I expect a lot. Like a fricken huge lot for a regular sub that I cant take off line. Im talking constant updates, great looking artwork, easy to use interface, fully automated VTT, the damn works. So, im no because I know we are light years from this being a reality, but its not impossible.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The only way I could accept a digital only would be if it was like the 2e's CD-ROM. And I frankly love stating characters by hand so if that's not an option I'm not interested.

Reynard

Legend
Nope. I prefer dead trees for my RPG's, particularly if I'm playing in person. Nothing would be worse than sitting around the table with everyone with devices.

I also don't use subscription services for my gaming, either.
Out of curiosity, what, for you, is the difference between the players' eyes glued to a screen versus flipping through a book?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hard, hard no.

I don't mind stuff being online for players to access during the session but for me as a DM all-digital is a complete non-starter. I don't (and won't ever, if I have my way) run online games, and my desktop (I despise laptops/notebooks) computer isn't anywhere near my gaming table.

That, and as @Cruentus very astutely alludes to, a book is something that only needs to be bought once. The bills never end for a subscription.

Remove ads