D&D 5E Dim Light question

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's a good one, too. I've never looked at those tables really so thanks for pointing it out.

If you really want to be "by the book" then that only works while the item is in moonlight. Though, if you include Xanathar's... the characters can search out the recipe for a dimly-glowing item, and craft it. Surely, if that's it's only power, it is a common item in terms of expenses and time....

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you really want to be "by the book" then that only works while the item is in moonlight. Though, if you include Xanathar's... the characters can search out the recipe for a dimly-glowing item, and craft it. Surely, if that's it's only power, it is a common item in terms of expenses and time....
Oh, you're right. I misread the description! I thought it read "and glows with a pale radiance of moonlight", not "in moonlight".

Yeah, unfortunately it makes that useless...

A custom magic item would be cheap and simple, etc. since that would be its only power--- but the benefits, oh, the benefits to that character! shudder
Fortunately, the simple hooded lantern (with whatever light source) solves the problem. shudder again

G

Guest 6801328

Which reminded me that one option is the moonbeam spell.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Wait a second...I thought @dnd4vr was quitting 5e?

The absence of a dim light cantrip is yet another example of WotC not doing their job. Amirite?
I am, but not until we finish our current campaigns (my guess would be end of summer or so?).

And yes, you are right, it is another example. :p LOL.

The bigger failing is all the concentration spells that really shouldn't be...

R_J_K75

Legend
The absence of a dim light cantrip is yet another example of WotC not doing their job. Amirite?

I know this isn't RAW but I don't like the 5E cantrips that much, theyre too powerful. I don't see why a spell caster couldn't cast a simple cantrip to create a low-radiused light spell for a short period of time without needing to concentrate on it. To me that's the very definition of a cantrip, at least in spirit. If a mage cant even do that without breaking a sweat and getting winded they should just pack it in and go home.

Remove ads