D&D 5E Dim Light question

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
A player asked me this, and I haven't thought of an answer so I decided to throw it out there to see if anyone knows of something I am missing:

Is there a spell, magic items, or feature of some sort that will create dim light without bright light, and does NOT require concentration?

Because of the last part, Dancing Lights and Faerie Fire are out, and I have yet to find anything else that works as an answer.

Anybody?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Nothing springs to mind. We're talking about creating dim light in darkness right? Not lowering bright light to dim?

If it's the first, then the easy answer is to just say there's a toggle on your light cantrip. You want dim? You get dim. I don't think you're breaking anything there.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, I just thought of hooded lanterns. You can lower it to shed only dim light in a 5' radius.

FWIW I am looking for RAW, by-the-book type answers, so though it's a good idea to allow light to have a dimmer mode or something, it would be a house-rule.

Ultimately, something like Dancing Lights, which is only dim light, but without the need for concentration.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Use a hooded lantern or a caster could create a spell say as a thought Lvl 1, Dim lights. Creates Dim light or reduces ambient non-magical light to dim light in a 20' radius for up to one hour without concentration.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think the only thing is the hooded lantern with a light source (oil, light cantrip, or a continual flame). That should work fine. Nothing else I know of and harvesting cranium rat brains probably isn't what the PC is looking to do. ;)

Remove ads