D&D 5E Disarming spellcasters?

Shiroiken

Legend
Important to note that unless there's a creature able to snatch up the spellcasting focus before the spellcaster's next turn, the spellcaster's able to simply pick up the dropped focus in tandem with their movement and action.

It requires coordinated effort in order for a disarm to be anything other than just a momentary annoyance.
Picking up the disarmed focus would be an object interaction the disarming creature can do as part of its turn. No additional interaction required.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Picking up the disarmed focus would be an object interaction the disarming creature can do as part of its turn. No additional interaction required.
😅

Edit: I'm sitting here thinking my way through why it is my players have never just picked up anything they've disarmed. Maybe because the two fighters have both their hands busy? One carries a shield and the other uses a two-handed weapon.
:unsure:

They could also just kick it out of reach, I guess.
:unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
It can be annoying if used on a player, but most challenges are annoying.

If I were to do it, I'd do it when they're in an easy or medium encounter first. Just a "Oh, wow. They can do that!" Reaction is enough. It also teaches them what they can do against other spellcasters.

Narratively, it works fine. If I was in disarm distance of a guy with a gun, I might want to disarm him first before trying to kill him. Yes, even if there was a guy with a knife next to me. Two people with a gun and a knife are scarier than a single person with a knife and an unarmed person.

jgsugden

Legend
Can these be traded between players? Like the cleric gets a weapon attack enhancement card and trades it for a spell buff that the rogue got? And when is your Kickstarter campaign coming out? I think you have a product idea on your hands.
No, but the cleric can use their weapon attack buff on a rogue's attack, and the rogue can buff the cleric's spell.

I'm just trying to survive the year. No interest in doing anything so grand as a business venture and Kickstarter.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Absolutely, one can disarm a spellcaster of their focus (excluding the cleric or paladin with the painted shield).

It is always a legitimate technique for a PC who is a battle master (with the manouever) and so would be legitimate if an NPC battlemaster did it. If you introduce it to the game as DM, though, you are telling the players that they need to carry multiple focuses.

The optional rule in the DMG allows something to a creature (and, implicitly, to PCs) that is normally something restricted to battlemasters. You know your players, and if it were to be introduced, you should talk to them about adding the rule at least a session before it becomes an NPC tactic. I would never include the rule if a PC were playing a btttlemaster (whether or not they had chosen the manoeuver), but would consider it otherwise (following discussion with the players).

If the PCs wanted to implement the rule (on the fly, or in advance) I would allow it, but it is then a technique that all NPCs have access to as well.

I would never include the rule if a PC were playing a btttlemaster (whether or not they had chosen the manoeuver), but would consider it otherwise (following discussion with the players).
It's worth noting that the Battle Master maneuver is usually significantly better. It's a rider you get on top of a Superiority Die damage boosted attack, that you can declare after you hit. The DMG option deals no damage and is harder to succeed at against most opponents (characters with Expertise in Athletics or Acrobatics are the most likely exceptions). The times when the DMG option might be preferable are if you are attacking a smaller creature who is not wielding a two-handed weapon because you get Advantage on the check, or if you could increase your overall chance of success against the target by virtue of not needing to succeed on an attack to enable attempting it (mathing is required).

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
When I hear "players need to bring multiple objects with this rule." I always think "god forbid they bring backup equipment, they might have to start engaging with their GP and carrying capacity!"

Spellcasting items all cost very little and weigh very little. After the first time they get "gatcha"ed, people just buy 10 and that's that. The only thing that changes is that people who care about their character not looking dumb feel worse.

Remove ads