• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizWrm

First Post
Thels, while it may turn out that you are correct, a judge has not responded to the question. Please don't leap to conclusions about things which you have no authority over - dpdx is aware just as much as you are that "3.5 SRD only," is the limit so far. While you're still within your rights to repeat that, you are not in a position to unilaterally and definitively answer his question.

Since he posed the question, dpdx obviously feels that there is a reasonable possibility it may be allowed. Maybe you believe otherwise - and you can say that - but you need to wait for a judge to give the official ruling.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Judges - how much information should I put in my character's background concerning the two important NPC's? I was considering putting in notes for DMs about Zidaniel, such as what classes he might take and such, but I wasn't certain if that was the place for it. Any ideas?

dpdx

Explorer
Well, I didn't pose the question to get in an argument over the purity of Living ENWorld, and I am well aware of the rule, as I just purchased a 3.5 PHB to participate in this and other PbP Games. Furthermore, judges and participants alike are going to have a good while to think about this (as the boards will be going down tomorrow until further notice, according to Morrus' announcement).

But I'd like to make the case for these excellent supplements, so here's why I asked.

First, I'm not interested in writing, nor am I deeply familiar enough in the game itself to write, something just like this. Put simply, Wulf's better at this than I am, or anybody else I know is. These books are the real deal, tried and proven in many games, and it would work wonderfully in this game world. I'm accepting no imitations, and I wouldn't dare try to work around this by publishing a knockoff.

Second, the dwarven craftsmanship rules in particular seem to me to help balance the power of the proposed Trader PrC, and gives some of the impetus back to the rest of the PCs to manufacture the weapons we use in this world, instead of acting as middlemen to sell and buy them, and leaving the LEW staff to create them.

Specifically, the dwarven craftsmanship rules for HoHF: Dwarves allow dwarven craftsmen to build armor and weaponry with near-magical advantages (reduced check penalties, higher AC bonus, and whatnot) without having to burn a level or two as mages, or trusting their craft to some other PC's die roll. Other HoHF books for the other races give advantages and likewise help to flesh out the gameworld, such as elves and ley lines. More hooks, more flavor, more better.

Finally, it's Wulf, for dog's sake. He's one of us, he posts to this board, he's a cool guy, his products and his company broke through here, he's a mod, etc. His stuff is OGC already (it says so in the book), just like the SRD. So as long as the judges think it's good, and the DMs can use it, why not allow it?

I know there are drawbacks. They're OGC, but they're books, and so people, DMs, and judges interested in using the rule are going to have to own them already, buy them, or suffer the IC and OOC explanations of the people who do. That might be fun, if the information disseminates quickly enough, but it might not. I get that, and if this is shot down because of it, I understand. But it'd be really cool to have, that's all.

So I'll respect the decision of the people who originally built this environment, and run it daily, and I'll abide by that decision as my PC, Rurik, develops. I'm just hoping it'll work.

Last edited:

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Gnomeworks posed an interesting question, the answer of which I'm curious about as well. I made mention of a nemesis in my character's (Sir Ishmael) background and I would like to see if I can advise classes or even a build for him.

garyh

First Post
dpdx said:
I have a request:

I want to use the Heroes of High Favour books, from Bad Axe Games. I'm sure Wulf wouldn't mind, if we asked him (it's all OGC), but my Dwarf would really like to flesh out his Craftsmanship skills between adventures, and the runes and other skills in the dwarf book are just perfect.

This isn't an official decision or anything, but I own HOHF: Elves, Dwarves, and Half-Orcs, and love all of them. We'll see what CS thinks.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
As the Judge not stuck cramming for their crazed Winter Schooling, I would like to say that I am very pro non-Core material (I own too much to list, sad really...).
However, I won't make any sort of ruling/official statement etc... until CS,Garyh and Macbeth are through and on break (the time of the great sleep and release of stress), and thus able to give their thought on what we want to imclude and at what rate.

Macbeth

First Post
Things are getting considerably easier for me, so I think I'm going to be around more, with mid-terms out of the way.
As for non-core materiel, I'm all for it, but I don't have any of those particular books, so I can't say anything on this situation.

Thels

First Post
WizWrm said:
Thels, while it may turn out that you are correct, a judge has not responded to the question. Please don't leap to conclusions about things which you have no authority over - dpdx is aware just as much as you are that "3.5 SRD only," is the limit so far. While you're still within your rights to repeat that, you are not in a position to unilaterally and definitively answer his question.

Since he posed the question, dpdx obviously feels that there is a reasonable possibility it may be allowed. Maybe you believe otherwise - and you can say that - but you need to wait for a judge to give the official ruling.
Sigh, I was only saying how things currently stand, as he doesn't seem to be around LEW for long yet, while I followed LEW from scratch. I just posted the info, that's all. Relax man.

I think it's a bad idea to open to additional books, considering the nature of this game. The idea was to use core, so that:

A) Anyone can join without having a setback on others, since they have access to the exact same stuff due to the SRD.

B) There are less options filled, so there is a lot more room for players to get creative and add stuff. If all niches are filled, there is no need for that.

WizWrm

First Post
Thels said:
Relax man.

Sure, but you gotta admit, when you post something like "Sorry, that's not possible; try something else," then it certainly sounds like you're deciding the matter rather than waiting for an authority to answer a question that was originally addressed to the judges in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads