• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DISCUSSION: Have you ever had to boot somebody from a game?

Sadras

Legend
This happens a lot. I had a core group of 3 or 4 players for 10 years most of whom I went to school with. One lasted 14 years. Problem was I lost them to attrition and as each on dropped out due to RL (wives, career, moving etc) it got harder and harder to replace them so the long campaign is basically over. Those types of players I only found 1 replacement so I can get the numbers but the old social contract is gone. You know the ones who bring food, turn up reliably, don't stink up the house, and you can give them $100 dollars and you'll get it back sort of people. Mates basically.

Bolded for emphasis.
You have to train the newbies! Easier to do when you have an older group majority.

tglassy

Adventurer
I had to. Twice. Only in online games, though. One was a shame, because he was just playing his character truthfully (barbarian with anger issues, so a basic barbarian), but the other players didn't like how he wasn't perfectly noble and good. Example, they were fighting a couple elementals, and in the fight, one of them managed to speak with one, and get them to stop fighting for a moment. Seemed like the group would be able to talk to them and get some info. This guy instead takes the opportunity to hit one of them, killing it and continuing the fight with a second elemental.

To me, it made sense. He's a barbarian in the middle of a rage. He didn't want to talk to it. So I gave him inspiration. Almost lost the whole group because of that. And it was the second encounter! They all come to me saying they don't want to play with him and if that's the type of game I want to run, they're out. There hadn't really been enough interaction for any of them to make such a claim, but I went ahead and asked the guy not to come back. They all wound up leaving anyway, so I should have saved my breath.

The other time was on another site, again online. We had a small group playing, and we invite another member of the site to join. He made a Fighter. His character was a drunk and liked saying weird things at weird times and randomly smacking people, making crude comments and generally making an @$$ of himself right from the get go. I had to ask him to leave. I asked him how he wanted his character to go, and he said "meh, make him choke in his own vomit." So he did. He drank himself to a stupor at the bar one night, passed out, chocked on his vomit and when they found him in the morning, they took his shoes and dragged him to the river and dumped him there. The Player couldn't be happier. But he was a weird guy, anyway.

Thankfully, I've never had this problem in person.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I had to. Twice. Only in online games, though. One was a shame, because he was just playing his character truthfully (barbarian with anger issues, so a basic barbarian), but the other players didn't like how he wasn't perfectly noble and good. Example, they were fighting a couple elementals, and in the fight, one of them managed to speak with one, and get them to stop fighting for a moment. Seemed like the group would be able to talk to them and get some info. This guy instead takes the opportunity to hit one of them, killing it and continuing the fight with a second elemental.

To me, it made sense. He's a barbarian in the middle of a rage. He didn't want to talk to it. So I gave him inspiration. Almost lost the whole group because of that. And it was the second encounter! They all come to me saying they don't want to play with him and if that's the type of game I want to run, they're out. There hadn't really been enough interaction for any of them to make such a claim, but I went ahead and asked the guy not to come back. They all wound up leaving anyway, so I should have saved my breath.

The other time was on another site, again online. We had a small group playing, and we invite another member of the site to join. He made a Fighter. His character was a drunk and liked saying weird things at weird times and randomly smacking people, making crude comments and generally making an @$$ of himself right from the get go. I had to ask him to leave. I asked him how he wanted his character to go, and he said "meh, make him choke in his own vomit." So he did. He drank himself to a stupor at the bar one night, passed out, chocked on his vomit and when they found him in the morning, they took his shoes and dragged him to the river and dumped him there. The Player couldn't be happier. But he was a weird guy, anyway.

Thankfully, I've never had this problem in person.

Sounds like the three were in the wrong in the first case.
As for the second, I think you could of gotten away with just offing the character, rather than the player.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Yes, three or four times (the first time was a twofer).

The first time, I was just tired of the min-maxing and power gaming, plus when I'd restrict options for character creation, one of them would show up with characters that expressly ignored what I said. The power gamer was also suspected by another player of fudging his dice rolls and "forgetting" to mark off HP during combat. Neither player was a good match for the group; no one else really liked playing with them. I was pretty juvenile about it; I "fired" them in an e-mail to which I applied a pink background. A few months later when I was putting together another group, I received some passive-aggressive e-mails from the power gamer, but that was about it.

The second time, she was a good player (though perhaps a bit "kill 'em all"), but her attendance, or lack of consistent attendance was disruptive. After the second or third no-show, I told her I was going to replace her with someone who could commit to showing up, or at least, commit to letting us know if they could show up or not (and it's not like my games are sporadic; they're the same time at the same place every other week). She said she understood and apologized for being such a flake about things.

The most recent time, he was a good player, but would fall asleep during games because he had a newborn baby keeping him up, plus an hour+ drive to my house. He also wasn't a good fit for the rest of the group; he got really pissed off when the rest of the group elected someone else as Captain of their ship and didn't consider him because he didn't come to that session. When we switched to FFGs Star Wars, he disrespected the GMs time by spending the entire session rebuilding the character he requested the GM build for him to save time, then complained the entire time that he couldn't see a clear progression of power in character advancement. Our play-styles were just too different, so I told him I didn't think he was a good fit. He hasn't spoken to me since, but didn't unfriend me on Facebook, so I guess we're OK? Dunno.

There have been other instances where I dissolved a group because the game fizzled, or I needed a long hiatus for Reasons, and I just didn't invite people back. That's not really the same, though, because I stopped gaming during that time, too.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it was play with the three or play with the one. Three players makes a better game, and I liked the players. Still, I feel they should have just dealt with it.

As for the second, we all knew the guy, and everyone knew him as somewhat of a troll. But the type of troll that you let stay around for his comedic factor. Like, a family troll. We let him play because we wanted more characters. No one was surprised, least of all himself, that he wound up getting booted almost immediately.

People that say they want to game but rarely show bother the heck out of me. I get that a person’s desire to game might outstrip their ability to actually attend gaming, but it just seems rude to say you’re going to game, but then rarely show when it’s time to play the game.

Sure, for some people, life gets in the way. I’ve no problem with that, but at least have the decency to tell people that you can’t make it anymore. But other people, in my experience, just want to be a part of the gaming group, even though they’ll not be actually playing the game. And that drives me up a wall. I've soft-booted a number of those people over the years.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Unfortunately, it was play with the three or play with the one. Three players makes a better game, and I liked the players. Still, I feel they should have just dealt with it.
Now I'm kind of worried because I can't remember how I got "three" and I can't see anywhere you said it. :S

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, a couple of times over the decades. The most recent one was when we were transitioning from 4e to 5e. We had one player who is a long-time friend of most of the group, but who has been going downhill for years. He basically takes it for granted that whoever he hangs out with will feed him, put him up for the night, get him drunk and stoned, etc, and brings little to the tale. It had been getting worse and worse for a long time, but the last six months or so of the 4e era, he would show up long enough to eat dinner, then "have to leave" to hang out with the girlfriend who he spent all his time with anyhow. He did this on three different peoples' birthdays. And I get how it can be with a new gf or whatever, but that wasn't the situation; he'd been friendsish with her for decades, they'd hooked up off and on for a while, and it was one of those relationships full of constant fights and breakups/getbacktogethers. Also, she was a meth head, so there was that.

Anyhow, after he showed up to the final session of the 4e game only to pull the same crap- eating the dinner we provided, then bailing with road beers in his pockets- we had a long talk about whether to invite him back and decided not to.

When I delivered the news, he was devastated. I explained exactly why I had made the decision (I'm the DM, so the final word is mine). He was totally upset about it. I offered to run a one-shot for him, so he could get some rpg time in. Planned a Paranoia session, got a big ol' group of his friends together... and he didn't show up, even after expressing how excited he was a few hours before the game was set to start.

So, sorry, buddy, your seat at my table has been passed to someone else.

Sadly, one of my friends just had to disinvite him from an annual camping trip we all like to go take due to similar entitled behavior. God dammit Dave.

tglassy

Adventurer
I think it was really just two that objected. The third never really said anything.

Though, interestingly enough, it's always the women who come to me wanting someone else to leave. The only guy who ever complained was the husband of one of the women who were complaining. Not sure what that says, though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’ve never kicked anyone out of a game, but I have stopped inviting certain people to future games. And I have certain people I won’t invite to the same games, because while they are each fine on their own, their play styles clash to the point where neither enjoys playing if the other is there.

Remove ads