[Discussion]Tempus Fugit ['closed' to new players]

grufflehead

First Post
This thread is for discussion of Grufflehead's 'eternal champions' game, featuring Leif, Mowgli and GlassEye. Some spaces may open up on a limited basis (see details posted for how this might happen), but anyone with an interest in the concept and/or useful suggestions/knowledge are welcome to add their input.

grufflehead

First Post
Background

The original idea for this game came about some time ago but didn't start to move forward until recently. The following posts summarise information sent to the players to start the discussion.

To: Leif; Mowgli; GlassEye
Subject: starting game idea

Content summary: grufflehead is going to run a game for the 3 players. Rather than specify a system/genre/setting, he proposes to select a genre/setting that is mutually agreeable, but to 'rotate' systems on a semi-regular basis. The campaign will have an overarching plot arc, but be episodic in nature; at the end of each episode, the characters will be converted from one system to another and the game will continue.

Systems suggested (due to being owned by the GM - NB some have had only a cursory glance so rule familiarity may need to be improved!):

- D20
- True20
- D6 system
- Savage Worlds
- Cortex
- Basic Roleplaying
- GURPS
- HERO system
- ORE
- Tri-stat
- FUDGE/FATE
- Active Exploits (diceless)
- Wushu

All of these are 'generic' (or at least reasonably so), but if the consensus was for a fantasy game, then other possibilities might be added to the list.

The idea of 'eternal champions' (henceforth referred to as EC) a la Moorcock and others was mooted as a campaign hook. Mowgli further expanded on this by suggesting that in addition to changing systems, the genre could change from episode to episode.

Other suggestions/requests for specific genres/rule systems were made, none of which would be mutually exclusive based on the EC idea. Occasional rotating of the GMs was thrown in as a possibility, as was either 1 or 2 more permanent players, or, given that one of the tropes in the EC stories was that of 'companions', guest slots may become open during some of the episodes.

grufflehead

First Post
Potential issues

Changing systems, and potentially genres, between games presents a number of challenges and imposes some restrictions. The Eternal Champion concept allows for some flexibility in that not all 'incarnations' are necessarily possessed of the same abilities, so only the core features of each character need to be defined so that consistent mechanics (or as close as can be attained) can be assigned based on ruleset - the personality of each champion, and the interaction between them will remain constant and independent of rules.

Interaction and familiarity of the characters with their setting can be handled by GM fiat i.e. characters who go from a fantasy world to a high-technology setting can simply be assumed to be familiar with the environment, social, technological and other features as part of the change process.

Issues already identified and questions to be resolved include the following:

- do we assume that all campaign worlds are part of the same 'universe', so the characters are moving back and forward along a single timeline?

This would require the timeline to be mapped out by mutual consent beforehand. Alternatively, each episode takes place in an alternate reality so aside from the linking 'plot device', no temporal or spatial connection is assumed.

- character creation and change have an overhead. Not all the players have access to some of the possible rulesets and/or familiarity with them.

Either all the character creation would have to be handled by the GM (who would also be responsible for providing key information on the rulesets for players without them) OR the upcoming episode would have to be 'trailed' in advance to allow any players time to create a new version of their characters. An option is to have a period of downtime between episodes when this is done.

- Managing the transition between episodes

By using generic systems, hopefully transition between episodes is achievable. Are the players happy that only the core personalities are transferred between incarnations, or do they also want a limited core set of abilities to exist between incarnations? Even using generic systems, character abilities are unlikely to be able to map completely between episodes. Should we enforce a 'template' on the characters to make the transition easier? While skills and relative combat ability should be easy to translate, magic, more esoteric abilities ('feats' or unusual traits), interaction with faith (do we allow for the presence of divine beings?) and some other aspects may be radically different between systems causing potential power imbalances.

- ability of systems to handle game styles

Not all systems are created equal. Some of the rulesets may be more suitable for certain genres. Should we decide on matching ruleset to setting at the start? If there are to be guest GM slots, do they want to indicate a preference for ruleset and/or setting in advance? There is also the issue of power level - we need to decide what level you want to play at (which can also change on an episodic basis) but implications on how well any particular system scales is worth thinking about.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
OK folks over to you - the discussion is out in the open so no chance of missed PMs. Any thoughts or issues I haven't covered that you think need addressing now?

I intend to do the lion's share of the GMing - all of it if you want. But Leif suggested he had some GURPS Cyberpunk material - happy to do an episode of that at some point? Do the other 2 have a ruleset/genre that they would like to consider running?

A thought I had yesterday was regarding handling combat. Long combats can suck the life out a game, and I'm also neither a fan of super-tactical combat nor very good with maps. First suggestion in the thread for shooting down is this: I run combat in a semi-narrative style. I'm not going full on Wushu (although we can always have a Wushu episode ;)) but what I will try and do is describe the scene for you (with images/maps if possible) and allow you to state actions. Unlike Wushu where what you say is what happens, I'll let you roll your own dice to decide how successful you are but I'll take a descriptive approach to assigning results more than a rigid adhernace to the rules. Good hits on bad guys may just lay them out if dramatically appropriate rather than have people hang about on low health and drag the combat out (and lose the momentum of the game).

I've already got an overall plot sketch, an intro and a couple of hooks pencilled in. I'm happy to start as soon as you want, and kick around this discussion while we are playing. Or we can spend some time thrashing out a few points before we get going.

The floor is yours! Let me know what you think of the questions I posed in the previous post.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Ahhh, room to spread out in! And lots to discuss. I'll just hit on a couple for now...

Character creation: While I could certainly play a character created by the DM my preference would be to create my own. There are certain types of characters I like to play and I think I would enjoy a character of my own design more than one given to me to play. So between stories we'll likely need the time to re-create characters in the new system. We might need to work on this collaboratively to some extent so that the characters mesh well together and, on a more practical basis, if one or more of us don't have the new system rules. As for how this works out, I think I might prefer beginning the re-working after the previous episode is finished. I'm not averse to wrapping up the previous episode and working on the next iteration of the character at the same time but doing this the previous way might give you a needed break from the DMing duty.

Semi-Narrative Combats: I'm fine with taking a more narrative approach to combats in the interest of keeping the game flowing. We may not get quite the 'feel' of the system as it's intended but I would much rather have an enjoyable game than try to experience some aspect of a system that may or may not translate well to pbp.

Same Universe: Honestly, this doesn't matter much to me but if all the stories are in the same universe would there be certain conceits that would need to translate between all episodes? I don't know. Maybe there would be an explanation why magic would exist in one part or time of the universe and not in another (whether we need to come up with that explanation or not is another question. I'd say we probably don't: how the stories link is less important than the stories themselves.)

Setting+Genre: We could determine all this beforehand but since we really don't know how long this is going to last I would say we do this step by step. But then I think the deciding factor here should be how much time Grufflehead needs to prepare the next episode.

I really think a lot of these issues will work themselves out through discussion during play. (I'm excited by this and anxious to get started!) Grufflehead, do you know or have you decided what our first system/genre is going to be?

grufflehead

First Post
Thanks for those thoughts GE. I'll let the others digest and contribute before responding in any depth, but on the first game system, while I did toy with the idea of having you start as yourselves and freeform it, I think I'm going to go with Pathfinder as everyone knows the basics at least.

There's a slight twist in that I need a couple of characters from you all. First thing to decide is what sort of power level we want to play at (which can also vary between episodes - have added that to one of the earlier posts for consideration) but I'd suggest better than starter PCs without being epic. Whatever level you decide, the first episode proper is going to need the character you plan on playing as your EC incarnation in that world. Detailing these will probably have to wait until we thrash out some of the discussion points above.

But I'm going to do a prelude where you start in your own threads independent of each other. So for that, I need a second character, and the idea behind that one is it can literally be anything you want. This is your 'default' incarnation if you will, and at the start of the game you will not know each other or that you are an EC. Want to play a king or a 20th level Wizard? Go for it! Want to do a 0 level commoner? That's fine too ;) It will let us start once I know what that is, and we can be sorting out the other things in the background. These PCs may see action themselves from time to time, so a little detail may be required - at the start, it will be pretty rules-lite, so a short background is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, GE, it surely would have slipped past me. :p Gee, Gruff, I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this.... :eek:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Thanks for the mention, GE! I'd intended to touch base with McGruff to see if he'd gotten this off the ground yet, and here it is!

Little time for putting thoughts down right now, but I'm VERY excited about this idea. I've got an idea for a first character, and a couple of things are floating around for my 'default incarnation.'

I'd like to try out a Cavalier, I think. His steed should translate well to whatever universe/time/etc. he ends up in - horse, motorcycle, whatever. No further details, but ideas are churning around. This could very well be both the character for the first adventure and (in a different place in the space/time continuum, at a different power level) my default incarnation.

Last edited:

Remove ads