[Discussion]Tempus Fugit ['closed' to new players]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Regarding money and equipment, I've got a couple of thoughts but probably no time to put them down today - Wednesdays my schedule is packed, usually. I may have some time this evening.

grufflehead

First Post
Still happy to go with what you guys want - will wait to see what Mowgli proposes later - but thinking back to some of my original notes, unless anyone *really* objects, I'm thinking of significantly reduced wealth in terms of what you can 'spend' to equip yourselves, as I have something else in mind to even the playfield...

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've never much cared for the 'buy what you want' idea. I think I would much prefer if you selected items for my character, Grufflehead.

Also, I've been thinking about themes for my champion. I've come up with a few keyword/phrases that I think I'll try to work into his incarnations. Granted they won't always be able to be worked in and in some incarnations the emphasis will be on different keywords but they'll be there in some fashion at least. I hope. And, of course, during the course of creating these first two characters they are subject to modification.

GE's Eternal Champion Keywords/Phrases: Nimble (mind & body), Knowledge, Guide, Genius (of place), Magic, Wolf

My PF character is Sir Geoffrey Campion of Wehrlight Isle. He'll likely be predominantly Ranger with the Guide archetype. I may toss in a level or two of something else if it enhances his story (which I am still working out).

I'm still contemplating the essence of my default persona and the genre that would mold his outward expression.

I don't mind 10th level for the PF characters if that's what Mowgli prefers and if you're ok with that, Grufflehead.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I had a moment to check in, and wanted to chime in. I was thinking pretty much as GlassEye, it seems. I've been reading recently in a thread wherein one of the topics is the idea that characters are so often defined by their gear (magic items in particular). I'd rather the character stand on his own, or at the very least have the gear inform rather than define him.

I've become more and more averse to the 'shopping spree' that is high level character generation - or even that which accompanies extended campaigns. I don't really like the idea that any item a party wants is available for purchase.

So I'm all good with you providing any items for us other than the regular old mundane stuff.

I'd propose that we go ahead and equip whatever mundane equipment we wish, and then grufflehead augments or replaces anything he wishes.

Leif

Adventurer
I'm thinking now of using the Swashbuckler Rogue, with a level or two of Deep Earth Sorcerer thrown in. Assuming we're using PF rules, that is. I also have a slight hankering to use the fantasy GURPS system, too, though....

grufflehead

First Post
OK, seems like we have a consensus to go for Level 10 PF. Feel free to buy mundane gear - I'll probably make the assumption that if it's something that a member of your class/race/background might reasonably have, then I'll allow it even if its not on your sheet. Other stuff to be assigned by me.

I like your thinking about the keywords GE. Anything that makes the alternative personas easier to come up with the better. Obviously they're your characters, so although you know the feel I'm trying to achieve (i.e. the underlying character is the same, just re-skinned for each setting) how rigidly you want to try and translate between systems is in your hands.

I'm quite happy to start anyone who wants with their default personas. They will be individual threads, coming together at some point to go into the PF game, so you can get going pretty much as soon as you want. Mowgli has given me enough to get on with; same goes for the other 2.

GlassEye

Adventurer
How much leeway do we have concerning genre for our default persona? The idea I'm currently favoring is an Asian youth just becoming a spirit guide for his community. Time period is pretty vague but probably equivalent to early Chinese history with some form of spirit/ritual magic. I could stick to something more standard or modern if you prefer.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Well, my knowledge comes from martial arts movies and other various pop culture sources. So I'd say my knowledge of Chinese history is downright sparse, too. I'll get to writing up something a bit more substantial than what I posted earlier and also work on my PF character.

grufflehead

First Post
As this thread is also home to random musings, here are a couple more things I've been thinking about. Firstly, for the defaults intros (and any interludes featuring them) I'm thinking of using a stripped down version of something called Pace. It's a diceless system written by Fred Hicks (of Evil Hat) fame. Pretty simple, but provides a framework for task resolution in those sections of the game. You can grab a copy here:

http://www.evilhat.com/pace/pace.pdf

I'll talk you through the bits I want to use once we get started on the individual threads, but essentially you give your character a three word description, with each of the words given a rating (a bit like Wushu if you've read it). Unlike Wushu, success is not automatic, but you are more likely to be able to succeed at things you are good at i.e. your descriptors. Rather than rolling, there is a resource allocation element to task resolution. I read it in about 15 mins, and it looks worth trying as a middle ground between completely narrative play, and system specific mechanics (for which we'd have to decide on something for your defaults and it might not be the same).

Secondly, I think I've got something that will do nicely for the PF adventure. Can I just check that none of you have downloaded any of the adventures from Dragonsfoot? I'm going to use one as the basis of the game (and there are 2 follow ups so if there's an excuse to go back later...). There should be at least 1 slot for a 'companion' so I'll see about recruiting when the time comes.

Remove ads