[Discussion]Tempus Fugit ['closed' to new players]

grufflehead

First Post
Some good points there, and not sure how to address some of them TBH.

I'll start with the defaults, as that is easiest. It's nice that people are trying to bring through the core elements of the characters even in the default personas. But any cross over between them *in their own settings* is not yet decided, and if I do go for it, it will be far enough down the line that we can kick around the way it will/won't work before that. As such, you are quite safe to treat them all as completely independent of each others' settings - for you, there is no need to worry about the fact that your schtick is magic, and Mowgli comes from a world where there is none. You may never go there, and if you do then your 'magic' could just as easily become psionics, cyberware, or, something that can be explained in that setting's stat block. Any side threads after the intro will be you and only you in your own setting until/unless I decide otherwise.

What I was talking about was the individual epsiodes, although I realise I wasn't being clear. What I am effectively asking for part 1 is: having told you it is level 10 Pathfinder with no magical gear, after coming up with a concept (or let's use my bete noir, a 'build') do you want to know beforehand that the game is going to be set on an island chain with a Japanese theme. Or once you've got your class/stats/feats etc etc sorted out, are you able/happy to walk into the game and have me describe a scene where everyone is walking about in robes and turbans, it is very hot and dusty, there are mosques and minarets everywhere, and take it from there?

Bearing in mind unlike a normal recruiting thread I'm not asking you for a character background for each episode, because we know what the overarching background is and for each episode you effectively have *no*background (as you are walking into it fresh). What you are coming up with is the background for your default personas, and as I've allowed you to make them whatever you want, you can control those aspects of the environment as well.

EDIT: RG is up here

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Re: Defaults. I only used the default characters as an example of how setting affects character creation because I've looked at Mowgli's default persona and not his PF character, yet. I realize having an episode in the world of any default persona isn't something that has been decided.

Re: Individual settings. I think you were pretty clear; maybe I didn't respond effectively. Having the information of 'level 10 Pathfinder' gives me certain guidelines to work within. I know there are wizards and witches (if the APG is used) and warriors. My character fits within these guidelines. Although I haven't worked him up fully swirling around in my gray-matter is the idea that he's a knightly fellow who has been cursed. The curse is the manifestation of his magic in this world (and is comparatively low-key when placed next to a full wizard). Now, I had in mind that he was a western-styled knight but that isn't an intrinsic part of the actual character. He could easily have a name change, a different suit of clothes, a katana instead of a longsword and be the same character. I'm certainly fine with that if that's what you meant.

The point I was trying to make was that if you exchange 'level 10 Pathfinder' for '200 point GURPS' then I don't have enough guidelines to create a character because GURPS or a similarly open system doesn't have the built in assumptions that a game like Pathfinder or Shadowrun has. Since that doesn't seem to be the issue you were bringing up I guess you can ignore that part.

Re: Character background. The use of the phrase 'as you are walking into it fresh' is a bit confusing to me. I assume you mean fresh for me as a player. My character for a specific episode will have a background in that world; just compared to his background as an eternal champion it is relatively unimportant except maybe in the fine detail of how it forms him in the current world. Is this correct?

By the way, I hope I'm not coming across as strident or complaining or demanding or anything similar. That's not my intent. I'm just trying to understand how this is going to work.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'd like to float my three descriptors for my default persona and get your feedback/comments/ok; whatever you might have to contribute to making them work.

1) Spiritual Guide 2 (for social/religious aspects)
2) Oni-binder 3 (for wahoo magic effects)
3) Martial Artist 2 (least of the three, for combat (using naginata type polearm))

I wanted Martial Artist to be lower than the other two. Do you think Martial Artist 1 would be a problem?

EDIT: Maybe: Wise Oni-binding Naginata-warrior.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
Whew, this would be so much easier if we were in the same room!

Re: Individual settings. <snippety snip> Now, I had in mind that he was a western-styled knight but that isn't an intrinsic part of the actual character. He could easily have a name change, a different suit of clothes, a katana instead of a longsword and be the same character. I'm certainly fine with that if that's what you meant.

Yes, that's pretty much what I was meaning. I was just trying to gauge if people were going to that level of detail with their PCs, or could they effectively create the 'engine' and leave the 'bodywork' until you know more about the game. To be honest, if people want to know in advance there's nothing stopping me PMing them; otherwise wait to be surprised and run with it...

The point I was trying to make was that if you exchange 'level 10 Pathfinder' for '200 point GURPS' then I don't have enough guidelines to create a character because GURPS or a similarly open system doesn't have the built in assumptions that a game like Pathfinder or Shadowrun has.

Absolutely, from the point of view that - regardless of the plethora of options that something like PF allows - a level based game with essentially pre-defined paths vs a point buy game where you can create any combo you want is like apples and oranges. This is where I hoped that having some core elements in the character's make-up would make this easier. It's up to you guys how much you want to do on that line (although I would encourage a consistent core of skills/abilities/call them what you will) - I think Mike has exactly the right idea with his guy trying to find things which define his character but are largely system independent, and thus are likely to be translateable between episodes. In a way, I would have thought the generic or point buy systems would be easier to rework your PCs into rather than the other way round. That, I suspect, is the balancing act that, if it works, will make it a great game; if it doesn't, then there's wiggle room, I'm certainly not going to hold a stick to people and say 'well your character does X so I'm going to insist you try and recreate it in this ruleset'.

Re: Character background. The use of the phrase 'as you are walking into it fresh' is a bit confusing to me. I assume you mean fresh for me as a player. My character for a specific episode will have a background in that world; just compared to his background as an eternal champion it is relatively unimportant except maybe in the fine detail of how it forms him in the current world. Is this correct?

Yes, essentially. I was trying to separate the meta-game aspect from the in-game part. If it makes it any easier to visualise, imagine that each of the incarnations you will end up playing in all of the many and varied worlds are actually someone else's PCs in those campaign worlds being played by them in other campaigns right now. When a given episode starts, you basically take the character over for that episode. So you are right: they *do* have backgrounds in those games because they haven't just popped into existence at that moment. They will have done great deeds already, become famous, more skillful etc etc. But if, at the point where you take over them over, all the other player does is give you a sheet and doesn't tell you anything about all the things they have previously done, then you are 'starting fresh' with them. Going off and inventing a background for them - as you would if this was a standard recruitment thread - can certainly be done, but serves no real purpose because, unlike in a 'proper' homebrew where I as a GM would try and take what you gave me as a backstory and weave it into the tale, the overall plot is why you are here, and once this episode passes, you move on to another incarnation (and the original player gets his PC back again). Probably still not explaining it very well...

I'm just trying to understand how this is going to work.

If you figure it out, let the rest of us know ;)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I neglected to put values on my three descriptors. I didn't see where you'd told us how many points we're using. Are we using seven, then?

grufflehead

First Post
Yes, I thought keeping the standard 7 pt but spread over 3 traits would make them a bit less powerful. You can still be pretty good at some things, but not doing anything that bends the laws of reality!

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Right. Mighty (2) Mounted (3) Maverick (2).

He can either fight or talk his way out of most things, and he's wiz with anything that transports folk from one place to another.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Gokan no Enmei (default persona)

The Past: Gokan no Enmei (Bright Circle of the Gods) was a perfectly ordinary child until a childhood illness left him near death and the associated fever burned away the walls that block most humans from access to the Spirit World. The shaman who tended him during the illness warned his parents that Enmei might be changed. For a while it seemed that Enmei would continue on as before his illness but then he experienced his first fit: he fell to the ground, his teeth ground together, his body shook and his limbs flailed about. These seizures continued with increasing frequency and ever growing violence. When he began growling out words in an unknown, guttural language his parents became afraid. The shaman was called back. The ancient informed them that Enmei’s openness to the Spirit World left him vulnerable to the attacks of spirits attempting to control him but Enmei could learn to protect himself under the shaman’s tutelage.

Enmei left to apprentice with the shaman. In time he learned to close himself off from hostile spirits, fight off those spirits intent on harm and call and communicate with spirits. As he grew more experienced he could allow certain spirits entry to his body at his bidding and without losing control. In exchange, the spirits granted him knowledge and wisdom and enabled him to perform feats beyond the capability of normal men.

The Present: Gokan no Enmei is holy man, spirit talker and healer for the small village of Aizawa having taken up the mantle of shaman after his ancient mentor died. His life is full serving as intermediary between the villagers and the local spirits. As such, and despite his youth, Enmei is well-respected in the community.

Enmei is a small man (5’2”, 130 lbs.) and still young. He’s happy with his life but feels he should maintain a certain level of dignity as befits his role in the community. His youth and lively spirit frequently slips through his self-imposed seriousness in unexpected mischievousness. Enmei is confident in his ability to work with spirits, less so when it comes to using the weapons of war (rudiments of which he learned from a traveling warrior plagued by a malicious though minor spirit).

A recent incursion of oni into nearby swampland culminated in a spectacular battle in the village where it appeared Enmei decisively defeated them. The truth is a little more sobering: despite binding the oni lord and using his power to drive off the others and force a truce the balance of power is precarious and could easily tip in favor of the oni. Despite his worry over the situation, Enmei is secretly pleased with the nickname the villagers have given him as a result of the flashy battle: Oni-Binder.

Allies: Ayumu-ko – A wise and regal she-wolf spirit. The first spirit Enmei saw and seeing asked if she was a walking dream. The wolf accepted that as her name and advises Enmei in spiritual matters.

Discerning 3, Medium 3, Warrior 1

Note: You may have noticed the names are all japanese. I couldn't come up with any chinese names that met my naming criteria. Regardless, the setting seems to be faux-asian. Change as you see fit.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
Excellent! I'll try and have your side thread up before I go to bed.

If you'd like to migrate this to the RG (same for you Mowgli).

Paging Mr Leif? Still with us?

As regards those side threads, I'll play them out as long as you like; the idea was to be able to vary the time to get you all to the same point before the PF game, so once you've got PCs sorted then I'll start thinking about how to switch games.

Remove ads