• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Avengers

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ah yes....and still you don't know his appearance. An 7ft tall man, with long blond hair, blue eyes....and a large greataxe ,with 3' of razor-like blade and a 5ft shaft. (monkey grip feat: it allows me to use large weapons with a -2 penalty to attack rolls. Power attack is better, but this is far more impressive :D )

I'd also like to up the price of that masterwork greataxe by 50gp, and consider it a masterwork skill kit that gives me +2 to intimidate :D (if that is needed. I thing that a bear-like human with such a weapon would send chills down the spine of every civilized human :D)

Now, he is not so dumb or aggressive as it seems, of course. He is also an expert of ecclesiastic law (don't know what skill would that be), and he often represents his brothers. As for the crunch side, I was thinking a barbarian1/fighter2, CG.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=Rough Draft Background]

Born on the rolling plains of the Valley of Light, Tagren was given to the monastary (known as the Hand of Light) as a young child. His memory of his parents faded through the years, and family was soon replaced by brothers.

Tagren began his training in the strict disciplines of the church when he was still new to the place. At first his training frustrated him, he was eager (as is any child) and wanted to learn the combat side of the art. Instead, Master Batow concentrated on Tagren's mind. He taught him how to meditate, how to control his body to such a degree as many people could only dream, and he made him read. His master told him that "As all life is a cycle, so is the past. Many parts of our history have shown the future. Those who forget the past, are not prepared for the future." Master Batow showed him some of the repeating facts of history; most notably the wars.

He remembered his first true training session. He simply sat there, legs crossed and hands pressed together near his chest. The minutes crept by, then the hours. Tagren couldn't stand it anymore, his legs had fallen asleep and he was hungry. He began to rise and felt a rough, strong hand grab his shoulder. Master Batow had been sitting behind him the entire time. The hand pushed Tagren back to the ground. Tagren sat there for the entire night and was near noon when his master's voice told him to rise. He could remember turning and seeing his master sitting there with his eyes closed, such a peaceful look upon his face. Master Batow explained to him that patience and concentration were the most important skills he would learn, without them his body would falter.

Tagren's training never stopped. It started when he woke up and continued on until the moment he fell asleep. He saw his first "foreigner" a couple of years into his training. The government had given the monastary the means to survive for the next 2 years for the simple act of training the Auerlites a small portion of hand to hand combat. The men amazed his young mind. They marched into the holy place, shoulder to shoulder and stepping together. Their armor shone reflected light, making it seem as if the sun itself was coming into his home.

Tagren was charged with teaching these men the extreme basics of the art. He found them clumsy at best, but seemed to be quick learners. They had soon became bored with basic stances and strikes, and were then placed under the more advanced schooling of brother Loenil. He was only a year or two ahead of Tagren, but that was enough to throughly confound the warriors. The monks were disheartened at the lack of effort given by the "warriors." They were constantly being discovered outside the gates, sparring with their longswords.

A particularly stressful moment occurred when a member of the army drew his blade on Master Batow. Tagren watched in amazement as his master showed his martial skill against one of the elite soldiers in the region. The man was no novice, but he was not a master. Master Batow managed to stay just out of the soldier's reach, until the soldier cast some sort of magic at him. A small fireball flew at Master Batow, who dodged it easily although many spectators did not. The injured bystanders must of been enough for the master to decide to end it, for his finishing strike followed quickly after. He struck the man's armor, actually piercing it then in a flash, kicked the man squarely in the face.

The soldiers were expelled from the monastary that very night. Tagren still looked upon most soldiers with distrust, but tolerated them as long as they kept their place. The government had kept its word and kept it's side of the bargain, providing supplies for the Hand of Light. According to an emmissary, the soldiers were punished somehow although Tagren knew they most likely weren't even spoken to about their actions.

Tagren was 17 when he finally came of age to become a brother instead of a student. He went with Master Batow outside the gates and found a whole new world. People were busy and almost rude most of the time. It seemed as though everyone was in a hurry, though no one knew why they were rushing about the place.

It has been 2 years since his first journey into the main areas of town. Since then he had joined Master Batow in meetings with the nobles of the land, most of the time he stayed silent. When he spoke, it was with wisdom that should exactly how great of a teacher Master Batow had been. Tagren, although young and not as progressed as many of the Hand of Light, was revered by many. The Brothers saw potential in the young man, a potential to become one of the greatest martial masters of the time. Tagren knew what they thought of him and knew the danger of it. Such words can build a false confidence, which is as deadly as any poison. Tagren decided that he would simply do as he had done. Learn from whatever he can and train his body as hard as he can. If he prospered, then it was from the grace of the gods. All honor and glory to them. [/sblock]

Last edited:

J. Alexander

First Post
Comments

OnlytheStrong
Very Sound for your character...i like it

NightBreeze
Love it, i dont see a problem with the monkey grip feeat or the +2 intimidation factor....Take ranks in Knowleded - Ecclestical Law to reflect it.

J. Alexander

First Post
Comments

Everbody
The campaign will start in the Captail City of LightHome...think Vatican City. It is the seat of the overall church and the captial of the Valley. You have gathered here as a part of the bienneal conference to discuss Church affairs. so the city is awash with out of town clergy...

OCC: Everyone gets a class skill of ecclestical law if they want it..... Further to reflect the church training...you may select one extra divine feat....

Nightbreeze

First Post
Yar! Uhn...where can I find these divine feats?

A flurry of questions:

-I feel inclined to choose Highgate. How many people are there in my order? In my chapterhouse? What position do we hold in regard of the main orders of the church? Who is our Preceptor? Where he resides? Who is my direct commanding officer? What position may I hold in my order, given my skills and my noble birth (I was thinking about making Harstard the son of some important noble. I suppose that where I live, noble are not as rich as their equivalent in southern lands, so the title may bring more respect than it should, once I reach them). Given the fact that I'm sent at Lighhome for the bienneal conference, what position do I hold? Do I rappresent my chapterhouse? A bodyguard of the one doing it?

EDIT: eeerp....highgate, not highgarden....too much G.r.r. Martin...

Last edited:

J. Alexander

First Post
Comments

Nightbreeze
Your order can be a more or less local in orientation but is still part of the overall Knighs of the Light...while not a great order and seen as somewhat backwards you still are considered to be a brother in arms. Please feel free to think of some name for your order and i will sketch out more details on it....I am thinking perhaps one chapter house in Highgate, Northwarden and Menokin.....with several small chapter houses scatterd out closer to the border with the Northlands....You order is charged with protection several small forts and mountain passess as well as providing and early warning for any raids from the Northlands. The mother house will be in Northwarden as it is more or less the geographic center of the Borderlands. As for the Preceptor ...hmmm how about Tillian McKay being his name...a somewhat youngish man in his late 30's. Titles in the borderlands are more military in orientation than their souther counterparts so your right that they have less money etc....I dont have a problem with you being the son of an important house/military command following the family tradition so to speak....let me think of some more details when i reread your background. You are being sent to Lighthome to escourt your Precptor to the meeting of the other preceptors during this conference......you and 11 others form his bodyguard. This is a all inclusive chruch meeting so you have all the religions orders and divisions holding what more or less is their annual convention during the meeting of the Church Curia. Choose a postion if you would like and work it into your character..i dont have a problem with it really..

Everyone
The Divine Feats can be found in Completly divine and Defenders of the faith....if your playing a marital character such as a knight..i will allow you to switch the divine feat to a martial one to reflect your training...just run it past me

J. Alexander

First Post
Late Posting

Scotley
Tsk Tsk but i guess i will give you a pass this one time i dont want to scare off the new blood so to speak by being cruel.....Looks like we have actually stubmled across another good core group...though one person has made me cuss under my breath once or twice for having to make me think hard and recall things i had forgotten and search for long lost notes..but all is good...

Everybody
If your intersted I am working on a revised Four Lands Document which Scotley has aggreed to help me edit..There is an additional 40 to 50 pages to the existing work as well as cleaning up a lot of things......I proably wont post it on here as it is my intellecutal property thouhg inspired by many past games and books. I may ask Scotley help on putting all the information on Wiki for easy reference........guess i will have to give hima level or something for all this help.

Remove ads