D&D (2024) Divine Spell List

So far it seems like that Cleric is the big winner here getting Spells like Find Steed and smites, but what does the Paladin get out of the deal? What Spells does the Paladin gain (assuming the Paladin is still a half caster).

This spell list actually changes Clerics a lot because of the merged in Paladin Spells.

The paladin is kind of a mystery. The group description is "focusing on healing, utility, and defense", which is more 4e paladin (which I believe had the defender role) than paladins in other editions ([including 5e] which were more warrior-like: Masters of combat who can deal and endure many wounds). That makes me think they might be experiencing a greater redesign than other classes (I am kind of wondering if monks will also get a big redesign to make them more in line with fighters and barbarians).

The paladin is kind of a mystery. The group description is "focusing on healing, utility, and defense", which is more 4e paladin (which I believe had the defender role) than paladins in other editions ([including 5e] which were more warrior-like: Masters of combat who can deal and endure many wounds). That makes me think they might be experiencing a greater redesign than other classes (I am kind of wondering if monks will also get a big redesign to make them more in line with fighters and barbarians).

The Paladin still seems to have access to the Smites spells, although so does the cleric now. Honestly the Divine Spell List seems the most improved, which I think is a good thing.

I am sure paladins will still be smiting, but it will be a little weird if, on a long day, clerics are smiting (via spells) long after paladins have run out.
If it was up to me, I think I would power up the paladin's auras (to maximize "utility and defense"), maybe balancing it out with you need to be able to see the paladin to get the benefit of the aura. That would make paladins better as "bright, shiny beacons of " whatever the paladin's oath is about. It fits the charisma thing and makes paladins stand out from melee clerics.

Stalker0

Legend
I am sure paladins will still be smiting, but it will be a little weird if, on a long day, clerics are smiting (via spells) long after paladins have run out.
If it was up to me, I think I would power up the paladin's auras (to maximize "utility and defense"), maybe balancing it out with you need to be able to see the paladin to get the benefit of the aura. That would make paladins better as "bright, shiny beacons of " whatever the paladin's oath is about. It fits the charisma thing and makes paladins stand out from melee clerics.
Honestly, the clerics could use a bit more offensive oomph. I am so tired of every cleric under the sun using spirtual weapon and spirit guardians just to be combat competitive. So giving them smite options I am good with.

Depending on Domain that could already happen in 5e, so could Bards and Sorcidins, etc...

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not on board anymore with 5.5e and this change only confirms it. I am a huge fan of giving MORE identity to each class through access to unique things. I understand the benefit of fewer shared spell lists instead of class specific lists (especially if you end up with some class lists that are still almost the same like wizard and sorcerer) but smites and auras are such a distinguishing feature of paladins that making them available to other classes is really a mistake. This will just please people who hate paladins for other reasons (like the already long-lost alignment railroad) because it just leads to more cleric PCs and less paladin PCs. Being "a cleric with a bit more weapons" does not justify a full class. If you really want three large spells lists instead of class-based spells lists, it would be better to remove smites as spells from the game and turn them into Paladin class features.

Paladins will probably see a good deal of change if they attempt to standardize the subclass levels for everyone in the group. They're the only class with a level 20 subclass feature and we know that's epic boons now. Level 18 is a class wide capstone going by the expert UA so either their final subclass feature is dropped to level 17 (Clerics already do this but Druid subclasses max at level 14 so something has to give) or they will have to rewrite stuff.

On the flip side Paladins get their first subclass feature at level 3 while Druids are 2 and Clerics get theirs at 1. I already made my guesses as to which levels will get subclass features in the UA Groups: Expert, Mage, Priest, Warrior thread. TLDR I think this group goes 2, 6, 10, 17. But it will require a lot of moving features around and potentially new ones to fill in empty levels.

Remove ads