D&D (2024) Divine Spell List

Do we have any statement or mechanic that says a class has access to all of the similarly tagged spells?

There's something like that with bards, but their schtick is now, apparently, magical Jacks.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I quite like the thought of clerics also having access to smite spells a cleric smiting their enemies did with my idea of them and they'll probably also get a bit more use out of them. I've hardly ever seen paladins use them, they normally save their slots for their class smite ability.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm not on board anymore with 5.5e and this change only confirms it. I am a huge fan of giving MORE identity to each class through access to unique things. I understand the benefit of fewer shared spell lists instead of class specific lists (especially if you end up with some class lists that are still almost the same like wizard and sorcerer) but smites and auras are such a distinguishing feature of paladins that making them available to other classes is really a mistake.
Conceptually I understand what you're going with here and I agree to a certain extent... but the biggest issue I see with this specific case is that I've always gotten the impression over the last 8 years that the smite spells are like some of the least used spells of the paladin, even though they were class specific. Because paladins could just do regular divine smites for more damage, they never really seemed to bother with the spell versions (even though they gave little extra boosts the regular divine smite didn't.) So these spells no longer being paladin-specific is no real loss as they weren't being cast anyway.

At least by giving the smite spells to the clerics (and presumably the druids)... we might actually see these spells get used by the weapon users of these classes.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I'm not on board anymore with 5.5e and this change only confirms it.
But this change itself isn't confirmed. It's still a playtest, and they're throwing a few things out there that they know will probably get rejected.

Don't like the change? Fine. Let them know with your feedback.

Li Shenron

Legend
But this change itself isn't confirmed. It's still a playtest, and they're throwing a few things out there that they know will probably get rejected.

Don't like the change? Fine. Let them know with your feedback.
I know, I know... but there are already many changes pretty much decided (we've seen them in Tasha and settings books) which are only going to make my game worse, so I don't think it's worth giving them my feedback anymore. It would only spoil the results for those who do want a new edition.

Remove ads