D&D General DM or Player Poll

Are you typically a Player or DM

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Just a quick poll to see how many people on this website that play D&D (any edition) DM or are a player. Mark DM if you regularly DM, or DM most often. Mark player if you play most often.
You may comment below to share experiences, explain why you chose the option that you did, and other information.

First 10 years I was playing D&D it was as a player. Then started dipping my toes in the DM waters until soon enough it was pretty much I'M ALWAYS DM and it stayed that way for 30 years. Nobody else stepped up to the plate so... if I wanted to play D&D it was only going to be if I ran the game. So, while I have (mostly) always enjoyed being the DM I'd prefer to be able to do BOTH - play as a player in at least one campaign, and also run my own game as DM. Seems a bit much to ask cuz I can't recall when I've managed to actually DO that. Had opportunity in approximately the last year to finally be a player again in a couple of 5E campaigns. Very much enjoyed both but they were also both... somewhat unique game settings and a tad more "powered-up" than I'd have preferred.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I mostly DM--or at least it takes up most of my brainspace. I run two bi-weekly campaigns, and I play in a third. I'm also in a group that meets every week, and in that group I've not yet GMed. Like @Man in the Funny Hat I prefer to be able to both play and DM even though these days I think of playing as the change of pace.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I used to DM mostly, but that was because I insisted on playing games other than D&D; so that forced me to be the DM if I wanted that game to happen. Traveller, Champions, Vampire the Masquerade.
When I gave in, and deigned to play "that silly fantasy game", I was mostly a player. That was 22? years ago, and I've mellowed in my attitude since. ;)

Shiroiken

Legend
I consider myself a primary DM/GM. While I've played quite a bit (we've been running 2 games at a time since 3E came out), I've more or less been running one game or another for the last 18 years, minus a few breaks to let others DM/GM for a bit.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
10 years ago I would have said DM, but over the past decade I’ve played about 80% of the time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases