D&D General DM or Player Poll

Are you typically a Player or DM

Oofta

Legend
Like others, it's about 50/50 at the moment if I look at game sessions. I chose "DM" because my sessions run longer.

Been a DM for most of my gaming career. Yet, with everyone at home now, I somehow find myself playing online in two games to my DMing one. Normally the only time I get to play is at cons.

darjr

I crit!
I prefer to DM.

But I post to cop to something. I actually love to DM for other DM’s. It’s a guilty pleasure I won’t apologize for.

In fact, now that I’ve said it, I’ve kinda used how much I like DMing for a person as a guide to see if they’d be a DM. Huh. I’ll have to do that more consciously from now on.

Also I love to DM for brand new people.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Both.

I prefer to be both at the same time, with different groups.

While I'm DMing, I put more time into running then I do playing. But I also take breaks DMing after a campaign ends. (My campaigns are usually multi-year affairs.) So total time over the past 3 years is probably similar.

Total time over the past 1 years favors playing - I'm currently near the end of a DMing break. Total time over the past 5 years (or 10) favors DMing - I both invest more time but there was also a good chunk where I wasn't playing in any games just running.

ccs

41st lv DM
Just a quick poll to see how many people on this website that play D&D (any edition) DM or are a player. Mark DM if you regularly DM, or DM most often. Mark player if you play most often.
You may comment below to share experiences, explain why you chose the option that you did, and other information.

I can't vote as your poll does not contain an "About equal" choice.

Right now? I DM 1 5e game & pay in 1 PF/3x game.
In the past there's been stretches where I've been more on the player side & other stretches where I've been more DMing more.
But overall? I think it's close to balancing out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Historically, I mostly GM.

At the current moment, though, a couple of folks reached out to me running games online to increase social contact, and a game I was running wrapped up, and one of the players stepped in to give me some time to develop a new campaign. So, right now I'm not running anything, but I am playing in several games.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am a DM in one gaming group, and a player in another. Both groups meet once a week, so it's pretty much a 50/50 split for me right now.

But this has been the norm for only the last 3-4 years. For the last 30+ years, I was the only DM in our gaming groups. So I voted DM.

Remove ads