D&D General DM with too High Expectations - Advice?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
My wife, who doesn't frequent these boards or online communities, is having an issue with her DM. Basically, he is putting a lot of time into the game to the point of GM burnout and is getting frustrated that the players (who consist of full-time employees, students, and new parents) are unable to match the out-of-game work he is putting in. He wants to begin streaming their games, start a professional DMing service, and create a "brand" (as he describes it) like Critical Role. He is giving them out of game "assignments" to work on - videos to watch, worksheets to complete, etc. He came in like a dictator for a group of friends who have been playing together for 5 years without consulting any of them about their wishes.
So I know this is definitely all second-hand information, and I don't want us to bash the guy or situation. I have given her my opinions, but I think having other experienced GMs to throw in their ideas might help - knowing they aren't invested in the situation.
What I want are tools to give my wife to help her in her conversations with this guy. Links to videos, articles, etc., she can use to talk to him about these unreasonable expectations.
Make it clear that if they want to do his work, they'll have to be compensated.

Nobody wants to do homework for free. At least kids know they get good grades when they do their homework but the DM seems to be giving them all work and no compensation. In a word, slavery.

GSHamster

Adventurer
No. He's been running for them for around 5 years. He took a month off to "recharge" and is now changing the expectations of their campaign, which has been going on for at least 6 months.
Hmm. I think that changes things quite a bit. After five years, he's a friend. Maybe he thinks that everyone in the group would like this, or has expressed interest in something like this before?

R_J_K75

Legend
I havent read all the posts here so hopefully Im not repeating but here is my opinion. Dont force anything. The DM can put as much into the campaign/brand as they want. Let the players put as much into the campaign/brand as they want. In the end just sit down and play and let the campaign develop and grow organically as anything else will seem forced and contrived streamed. Once the players feel the game is more work than recreation they'll surely start walking one by one, where a fun adventure that the players have options and room for improvisation will most likely win the day.

R_J_K75

Legend
For real! If he wants to build a brand off streaming and DMing professionally, then he’s trying to profit off his players’ labor, and should be expected to compensate them for it.
If the DM doesn't compensate not only will it likely destroy the game but probably friendships as well.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Also, side note: this dude needs a reality check. Brands like Critical Role, The Adventure Zone, and Dice, Camera, Action are successful because their groups consist entirely of people who were already celebrities. Ain’t nobody getting rich and famous for being a DM alone.

Remove ads