D&D General DM with too High Expectations - Advice?

R_J_K75

Legend
Also, side note: this dude needs a reality check. Brands like Critical Role, The Adventure Zone, and Dice, Camera, Action are successful because their groups consist entirely of people who were already celebrities. Ain’t nobody getting rich and famous for being a DM alone.
To add to that, they most likely all relatively run in the same circles so there's a mutual desire to play, hang out and have fun, and are using it get away from reality for a few hours.

"He is giving them out of game "assignments" to work on - videos to watch, worksheets to complete, etc."

My actual advice is to have all the players say exactly this at the next game, when the DM asks for their 'homework': "Nah, we're not going to do that. What's on for tonight's session?"

Results:
1) DM realizes their expectations are unrealistic with this group and campaign can carry on.
2) DM realizes their expectations are unrealistic with this group and quits. Players carry on with a new DM.

In either case, they are better off than just continuing with a frustrated DM and resentful players.

BrassDragon

Adventurer
Supporter
We're only hearing one side but let's say the situation is as described:

A DM only has one audience: his players. If he's not helping them to have fun, he doesn't belong behind the screen.

If that somehow evolves into 'building a brand' (gag) while growing an audience of onlookers, cool - but it begins and ends with his players enjoying themselves. People watch the most successful 'brands' because the fun and camraderie of the players and their DMs feels authentic. In a world full of fake reality TV, mugging for the clout, hyper-targeted marketing and social distancing, we gravitate to genuine human connection and roleplaying games are a wonderful medium for it.

He's just a gamer creating a space for his friends to goof around in and needs to focus on that.

Retreater

Legend
We're only hearing one side but let's say the situation is as described:
That's very true. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to seem like I'm bashing the guy. I've played with him as GM before for a few guest appearances, but could tell our styles of play differed in many ways.
He is one of my wife's good friends, however, and she's really struggling with how to bring up this topic to him. But to be fair, everyone is getting this information several steps removed from the actual conversation.

Also, side note: this dude needs a reality check. Brands like Critical Role, The Adventure Zone, and Dice, Camera, Action are successful because their groups consist entirely of people who were already celebrities. Ain’t nobody getting rich and famous for being a DM alone.
To clarify this, in the case of Critical Role:

Yes, they were already celebrities in the acting/voice-acting space, but they had already been playing the first campaign (Vox Machina) for a couple years at home - for free - when Geek and Sundry approached them about streaming. I have zero doubt that, if they stopped streaming, they'd still be playing at home for free. It had started as a one-shot for Liam O'Brien's birthday, and then was at level 8 or so before the first ep ever streamed.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To clarify this, in the case of Critical Role:

Yes, they were already celebrities in the acting/voice-acting space, but they had already been playing the first campaign (Vox Machina) for a couple years at home - for free - when Geek and Sundry approached them about streaming. I have zero doubt that, if they stopped streaming, they'd still be playing at home for free. It had started as a one-shot for Liam O'Brien's birthday, and then was at level 8 or so before the first ep ever streamed.
This is all accurate information, but I don’t see how it’s a clarification of my point.

aco175

Legend
I'm still stuck on the point that you wife plays and you do not play with her.

My wife has no desire to play and thinks I waste my time, but at least it is cheaper than when I go golfing. I hear that a lot of people here have husbands and wives that play, so I find that cool. I would think that you have played with your wife and maybe play in other campaigns with her so maybe this game is hers with other friends.

The whole situations sounds like it needs some talking out. Get with the other players and find out their points. If everyone just wants to play, then the DM needs to know.

This reminds me of other threads talking about if the DM has absolute authority. I find this one of those gray areas mostly since it is not really about the game/world.

Remove ads